No flying in robot mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by The F.N.G., Aug 17, 2011.

1. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone else noticed that the robots with jet alt-modes in Prime appear to lack the ability to fly in robot form? They just seem to fall out of the sky after transforming into robot mode, and don't leave the ground unless they transform into alt-mode. Could this be a deliberate choice by the creators, or have we just not seen them use that ability?

2. lordjimmybob

lordjimmybob Well-Known Member

I think it works the way it is. They would need jet propulsion to fly which appears missing from the robot modes. In G1 all robots could fly without explanation. Made the seekers look out of place when everyone was flying next to them in robot mode.

3. ahunmaster

ahunmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's deliberate. Maybe the only way we'll see a Cybertronian flying while in robot mode is if they come with feet that have boosters, like Iron Man.

Oh course, it would require a lot of energy to keep them a float like that. And according to Episode 22 (spoiler alert!), both factions are running low on Energon. Anyone who comes in with that ability who uses it too often will just be the Humvee of the group.

4. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

For a bot to be suspended in midair without being in vehicle mode would require some kind of propulsion from boosters on the feet or back and i don't think we have seen some one in the show with this feature.

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    This isn't G1, Transformers don't have silent antigravity anitmatter engines or whatever that allow them to float through the air. Although I would think Starscream could use his engine in robot mode somehow, especially since it's sitting on his back.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure this is on purpose so their alt modes can actualy have reasons to be used.

I liked how Skyquake getting him a badass alt mode instantly turned the battle's tone to "run for your lives".

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well that, and also couse like... if you took an airplane & folded it all all around into a robot, would it be able to fly? Not likely, and it would have nothing to do with the lack of propulsion.

8. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking more along the lines of Animateds thruster-feet, rather than the inexplicable hovering of G1. But yeah, it's probably a deliberate choice.

9. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

I think it worked in G1, but I wouldn't be a huge fan if they introduced it into Prime, even if it is "canon." It would just be too weird, IMO. Sometimes you have to pick and choose; you can't always get your cake and eat it, too.

10. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

aren't we forgetting episode 5? when optimus was shooting at megatron he was clearly flying

11. Ssargon

Ssargon He's... so... wolfy~

Didn't that battle take place in space with no gravity?

12. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

Yes, which mean Megatron probably kicked himself off the ship then gravitized onto the space bridge when he got close to it. As for Prime not floating off when he was thrown - Prime was gravitized.

As for the ground bridge - only theory some can come up with is it has its own gravity since it is a ground bridge and not a space bridge. It could just be an error and it was suppose to be in front of them and not below them.

13. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I'd go with that explanation for the ground bridge. Although if you REALLY wanted to you could say they gravitized as they were running, then jumped, still magnetized, did a quarter of a front flip, then demagnetized themselves at that point in mid air and used the momentum to go forward. Or down. Or whatever. I'm thinking way too much with this, I guess it's because I've been playing with momentum in Portal :lol 

In any case, I'd just chalk it up to an animation error.

14. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hovering could be possible, like it is done in WFC, but not flying.

15. Thilda

Thilda Treat your mother right!

News Credits:
    I think it's cool that robot modes have some limitations. Like it was said before in this thread, G1's flying robots a'la Superman style would just look silly in Prime. When you look at Soundwave's or Megatron's robot mode it is clear that they are not capable of flying. But on the other hand I could buy Starscream flying/hovering in his robot mode. Unlike the others his robot mode has both big wings and thruster on his back (at least I think his haunchie is the thruster). I was rather disapointed that we didn't see SS fly in robot mode.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's deliberate because the show has been so consistent about it.

At least it doesn't lead to the problem G1 had of starting out and all the robots could fly. But then later on in the series Autobots could not fly but all the Decepticons could fly. Then some Autobots could fly. Oh it could get so confusing so now it's a simple if your alt mode can fly then you can fly that way but no one flies in robot mode.

17. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

I think they dont fly in robot mode cos it they wanted to fly they jst transform but I suppose they can jst haven't seen it yet . But in TF rotf starscream and megaton fly in bot mode to the top of that building right after optimus is killed

18. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this

19. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    **Yes, I've noticed, but most of the time they are using the space bridge or Nemises (sp).**

The only ones flying are the cons that transform into jets.

20. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And the Terrorcons, flying is the only way they could have gotten to the Space Bridge wormhole over Cybertron.