No faith in the movie or just trying to keep things under wraps?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ElectricPrada09, May 1, 2011.

1. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    As most of you are probably aware it seems that with Dark of the Moon news and marketing wise has been lacking. Especially if we compare it to Revenge of the Fallen. As many have mentioned only two months away and we are just now starting to enter the juicy information period on this movie. And with just one poster so far and basically one theatrical trailer for the whole movie according to Nelson. He said there will be a slightly different 3D with some added bits. I know with Revenge of the Fallen there were I think two. The first one being similar to the newest Dark of the Moon trailer and then the second showing many more scenes with a lot more dialogue. Is Nelson just messing with us? Is Micheal Bay doing what he is known for in the past and just trying to lay low in the grass? Because let's face it he has some really good competition this summer. Maybe he will unleash everything when it gets to the one month mark? I'm just starting to get a little worried that every other movie may overshadow Dark of the Moon this year which I hope doesn't happen. Maybe I'm speaking too soon. Time will tell.

2. DarkWish

DarkWish Toy Reviewer

News Credits:
    I think they've just done a good job of keeping things under wraps. I mean, there's a lot we know... we just know the finer details of those things. I'm sure that will change very soon though. We're bound to see more TV spots, new info on future waves of toys, and there's always the novelization. So pretty soon we'll know a good amount. While I do wish we knew more... I'm kind of glad we don't know everything up front and bits and pieces come out here and there, it keeps things interesting.

3. dragonboy

dragonboy Banned

I really think they just protecting the movie I mean everybody saying their stupid should shut it because if I was the director I probably lied to you guys too. Just relax guys they just protecting the movie guys, come forgot about these lies we shall see in June.

4. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    I mean I'm totally for not knowing much. I think that would be awesome not knowing every single detail. But I feel if they maybe hide and not show too much that it may reflect in the box office. Maybe not. What do i know? Hah.

5. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

I'm fine with the way the movie's being marketed so far, and I like that we know far less this time than we did when Revenge was coming. Regardless, you can bet we'll be seeing TF3 spots during most every TV show come June.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Thread title is ridiculous, moving on to main query:

It's just business as usual. You're not supposed to know everything well before the movie comes out. As silly as it sounds, the "market" for marketing changes. Sometimes it's "cool" to show a lot, but as many movie makers are noticing it's best to show only what you need and not show too much. Look at that new Apollo movie, they spoiled pretty much the whole thing in one trailer, now nobody wants to see it.

Advertising is also a tricky thing due to varying opinions of what "works." The idea of what "works" changes constantly, that's why you see things like viral marketing coming and going. The idea is to show just enough to get interest, but leave enough obviously concealed to attract viewers. However what's considered "enough" is never really clear.

7. dragonboy

dragonboy Banned

Well said

8. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's a mixture of the 3d effects, and learning their lesson from ROTF. They are a little behind schedule because of the 3d. They showed way too many tv spots with ROTF, 19 I think. They even showed the death of long haul in one tv spot. I hate movies that show everything in the trailer. I like the way they are handling DOTM so far.

9. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    Sorry my title was not up to your standards. While I agree with what you said and was also well aware of everything you stated. I want it to be known I was in no way saying we need more info and that I'm not pleased with what I currently know. I was just simply asking others if they think it will effect the movie in any way. And why do they think the marketing in general is so different this time around.

10. casabonita

casabonita Autobot

News Credits:
    When you have faith in your project and you've got a good product to sell, you don't need to climb out of an egg to promote it. No gimmicks or hype is necessary, I'm happy with the bones we've been thrown, I don't want them over saturating us with crap before the film comes out. I felt like we saw ROTF before it even came out. I don't really think the summer competition is on DOTM's level. Just my two cents.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Apology accepted.

j/k, but really the notion that lack of advertising means a lack of "faith" by the makers is just not how it works, especially when there is plenty of advertising by Hasbro, plus two trailers and two TV spots, so it's not like there's no advertising.

12. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    You're right. I shouldn't had even brought up the faith part. Don't know why I did honestly haha.

13. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm actually enjoying the fact that they haven't tried to shove everything in our face months before it comes out.

So many other movies do that to the point that once the movie finally does come out- I'm sick of it!!!

I'm sure they realize there is a fanbase out there, and don't need to win us all over. Still, wait until the final month before release, and I'm sure they'll start really pushing it out there.

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    They've already shown footage twice to media members, I'd say they have plenty of faith in the movie. I know I sure do, everything I've seen and read so far has been excellent.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Different markets so it requires different plans.

Revenge of the Fallen could not have asked for a better summer to come out. A writers strike cut into the number of big summer releases. The competition was franchises attempting to come back from bad films in the Star Trek, X-Men, and Terminator franchises. Revenge of the Fallen pretty much had the summer all to itself.

This time we might be over loaded on films so the summer box office might be spread out a lot more instead of going to just one or two films. You have a lot of new franchises which can be hard for a third film to take on. Then you need to make most of your 3D money before Harry Potter takes those screens.

I think they are just being smart and waiting for the summer market to thin out a bit before they go full tilt with selling Dark of the Moon. It might also be a case of not repeating things like getting people excited for Devastator in the trailers and "leaks" only to be rather let down.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    sometimes it does work that way. Company's like "we have a damn good product, and we want to make sure everyone knows about it". Other times it's just the opposite. "We've sunk so much money into this stinker we better hype the hell out of it so people will go see before the word gets out".

It's never easy to tell which is the case.

17. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

I thought about how 'little' marketing for DOTM there is at the moment and how it worried me, particularly when compared to how broadly advertised ROTF was. Few months before ROTF, you'd have to be hiding underneath a rock to not know it was coming out. There seemed to be a buzz around it.
    What really worries me is that the uninitiated people don't know about this movie. I was talking to the some friends about it, the day of the trailer release in fact and their reactions were generally : "Wait, what? There's a third one coming out?" or that they were too caught up in the new Harry Potter trailer to care.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I miss the times when viewers would know next to nothing about a movie prior to it hitting the cinemas.