No comic books this week for the UK

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by autobob, Apr 20, 2010.

1. autobob

autobob Full Fat Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bad news for anyone in the UK and Ireland who is looking forward to any new IDW titles for at least another week. It seems the plume of Icelandic smoke that has choked the country's air ways has put stop to all comic book titles arriving from the states.
    Finally it has affected my life directly, anyone with standing orders at Forbidden Planet stores will still be okay as long as they don't mind the wait.
    What do you all think of the new direction anyway?

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    it figures.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Doesn't bother me as I only go collect my comics once a month and I last went last week. As long as things have settled in the next couple of weeks it won't really affect me.

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Meh, I can wait.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'll wait. I'm more concerned actually about my inability to ship any of the toys I've sold recently.

6. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

I find it extremely crazy that the volcano is still erupting. I'm from Washington State, where Mt St Helens is, and although it was very destructive and horrible, and caused a lot of damage when it erupted, the world kept on keeping on. Mount E is being kind of a bitch, just going and going, and going.

7. Vampyr

Vampyr Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    and his big brother not too far from him represent a substantial risk too (in fact, if he erupt that's will be a hell of problems)

8. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

If Katla erupts, kiss your summer holiday plans goodbye :thumbs2: 

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I've had some things bought from japan before the volcano erupted. Now they're sitting in limbo.

10. Groundsplitter

Groundsplitter Decepticon

Regarding the news item linking to this topic:
    Europe consists of more countries than just UK and Ireland. The ash clouds affect half the continent and prevent the comics from being delivered in other countries too.
    And the volcano's name is Eyjafjallajökull, with an 'ö'. Those dots are important, not just for show.

11. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Snap.

I wonder if the extra I paid for express shipping will be refunded? Or is that too much to hope?

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Wait, wait... Do you mean to tell me that there's a chance the entire world could be covered in volcanic ash clouds if both volcanoes are still erupting and don't shut off??? *Begins to panic and fearmonger*

13. Groundsplitter

Groundsplitter Decepticon

It's only one volcano so far but two eruptions, with the second one occurring beneath the glacial ice causing the majority of the problems (when the melted ice chills the lava quickly, it creates glass particles that are carried into the air, glass particles that are hazardous to airplanes). There is a strong concern that the eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull will awaken a second, bigger, volcano called Katla though, and if that happens there's a significant risk that it will cause worldwide problems.
    Before 2010 Eyjafjallajökull has had three eruptions/series of eruptions in the last 1100 years (in 920, 1612-13, and 1821-23), and each time they have awakened Katla.
    Even if that doesn't happen this time, the volcanic ash clouds from Eyjafjallajökull can still cause air traffic disruptions elsewhere in the world than just over Europe - the winds will eventually carry the ash clouds to other parts of the world (apparently they have started reaching Newfoundland in Canada), and since Eyjafjallajökull still hasn't shut down (the activity fluctuates, sometimes it's calmer, sometimes more active) it's not impossible that there will be more ashes.

14. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Just so long as it doesn't signafy the end of all life on Earth, I could live with a few air traffic delays. Serious catastrophic events however tend to be triggered by seemingly insignificant things. Isn't there some geological way of shutting down the name I could never hope to pronounce in a million years volcano? Or in the least alleviate the symptoms caused by the eruption?

15. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

if they do refund you it would be as a gesture of goodwill because delays due to things like this can be classed as an 'act of god' like damage from elemental stuff etc.

16. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Its not exactly the sellers fault.

17. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    April Fools? Seriously, that name looks like someone pounded on a keyboard.

18. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Same. More worried about the toys that are stuck in limbo :( 

19. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

Yeah, this volcano's messed with a lot of things and even threw the long time WWE RAW show for a loop by getting it's stars stuck in Belfast and their other show's performers had to fill in.

20. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ... hang on this is why my local store has only bothered to sell just a few odd issues over the past few months?... wow must be some sort of quantum volcano