No club freebie next year?? Can anyone confirm?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Demonss, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A friend of mine mentioned he thought he saw somewhere that there wouldn't be a TFCC freebie next year, but couldn't remember where he saw it.. Does anyone know if this is true or can provide link?

I'm a club member, and I'm only part of the club for the "magazine" (I use that term loosely) and the club freebie..

I generally can't afford going to botcon (rather spend the money on vaca with my wife, and can't take the time off work, etc), so my $45 is pretty well exclusively to get the freebie and read the "magazine."

If this no more freebie is true...
    I know a large draw of the membership is a discount to botcon, but lets not forget that not everyone is a botcon goer.. and frankly $45 for the magazines is not worthwhile.

So HOPEFULLY my friend is wrong.. But I figured someone here might know more than myself or what my friend stated.

*edit he says he thought he saw people tweeting about it.

2. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

First time I'm hearing that. I highly doubt they're doing away with the figure. Especially after all that's happened this year with funpub. If anything they're going to try to make the freebie figure as awesome or more awesome then this year with the battle chargers.

They know the majority of their membership is after that freebie figure. Take that away and then they'll see the numbers dwindle down to nothing.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    We'll find out at the BotCon Club Roundtable this weekend.

4. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds very, very, very unlikely.

ZacWilliam, tempted to add another very in there.

5. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    After their B.S. this year I'm surprised they'll even have MEMBERS next year.

6. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ Why what happened, because I'm thinking of becoming a member? ^^

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    With all that discussion, venom, hate, and what have you concerning the club as of recently, I wouldn't be surprised if your friend heard some hearsay that was being pushed as fact. The next years freebie is unveiled at Botcon, and I don't think there would be any reason that there wouldn't be a club freebie.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

They've been having severe issues with credit card leaks, and from what I know distribution of the freebie wasn't exactly smooth either.

Coupled with the fact so much crap went down prior to BotCon because of the banning of 3rd party items and the artist's alley thing, FP really has not been too nice to the fandom lately.

The fact the exclusives are also slowly going down in popularity also doesn't help.

9. Demonss

News Credits:
    This is kind of where my thoughts were, but I figured I might as well check and see.
    I too hope that this doesn't occur.
    If anyone is going to the roundtable and can post here just to confirm that it's not true, I'd appreciate it!

10. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Where have you been for the past few months?

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I honestly don't get all the hate because of the credit breach. That could happen to ANY website you use your card with. Is it good? Of course it's not a good thing, but it wasn't the first time I've had my account info hacked. After a three minute phone call my money was refunded and I had new cards sent to me. It happens. People act like the Club just handed out the card information on purpose.

Anyway, back on topic, I haven't heard any rumors that there won't be a freebie next year. Maybe we'll get some info this weekend about it.

12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Maybe because they kept trying to push it off as nothing major and other peoples' fault up to when they got caught storing credit card numbers unencrypted and failed to contact many lapsed members despite the breach going back several years. Also I'm sure the 3rd party and artist alley bans that followed didn't help. Not sure what they'll repaint for a freebie this year since they're probably pretty much stuck with WFC/Prime stuff.

13. Demonss

News Credits:
    I don't think the majority of people are mad it happened, we understand that.
    The Website however was in sore need of an update for a long time.

But the big thing that got people annoyed was how the club responded to the issue, and insisted it wasn't them for the longest time. That's where the real gripe came. The big "we don't care" attitude.

I am assuming the rumor my friend heard is based off of probably seeing someone say something like, "As bad as it is I bet next year there won't be a freebie" or something of the sort.

14. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been around. Here there everywhere.

15. abates

abates Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had this been officially announced anywhere, it would have been major news and there would have been much wailing and gnashing of teeth. As this hasn't happened, it's still just a rumour, and one that doesn't sound very likely at that.