No better than scalpers...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JinraiPrime, Aug 26, 2007.

1. LOSTaddict815

LOSTaddict815 Well-Known Member

First i would like to say i do not like Scapers but they are never going away

to address the kid issue....there is a reason why the boxes Say (an age)+ because not only kid want these things. if they were just for kids it would say (any age) -

stop crying and if you want something bad enough find out when the trucks come in get to the store say 30 minutes before the time and just lume around and wait...if your missing out on a figure its your own fault....you cant expect the toys to be just waiting for you.

I bought two CC BB's one to open and one not to...why because i knew how hard they are to find and i didnt know when i was going to see another one again. I wasnt thinking gee some kid that comes up 5 minutes later might want one, i should leave one here...to bad for him. he shoulda got there before me.

Ive walked into stores countless times to find the pegs bare....its a collecting war. stop crying and fight for yourself cause no one else is going to do it for you.

2. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    How many conventions would we have if no one held onto toys to sell them later? Would we have Botcon or any Transformerscon if nobody bought stuff to sell it later? These dudes getting fifty of this or ten of that are a big problem, a collector picking up one or two extra is nothing bad to me, to sell or trade. I've met a lot of great people and fellow collecters at our local conventions, these con's and toyshows would not happen without the forty to eighty dealers buying tables. I've always looked at it this way, some will disagree I'm sure but I would really miss these events if they stopped happening.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There are a lot of us, actually. I did in fact, see a lot of Alt Swerves at one store. I didn't want him, so I left them there for someone else to buy, like I wish everyone else would do.

4. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I only really ever get one of anything, its a toy, and it gets out of the package sometimes in the parking lot! If you want one for a toy and one MISB, so what. More than two, seems like scalping to me. If you have kids and want another one for them, seeing as how your toy will last a while, and the kids one will be dead in 10 minutes, makes total sense. As for me, I buy stuff for me & my son, my brother and his son, and my other brother. 1 toy for each family, thats 3 total. We like to play with them, and it bugs us when there aren't enough to go around.

Play nice people.

5. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

I did the same, and have for most stuff i don't need.

6. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I bought a bunch of 08 bb's and sold them on the boards with a load of arcee's at cost plus shipping. Made some very happy collectors and I was happy to help. Now I had 2 left which was my original intention, one to open and one to keep misb. I read a post about a guy who was having trouble finding one for his son and I sold it to him. I would have liked to keep the 2 but what do I need with two when there's a kid who doesn't have any? I made the deal, happily I might add and yes it does come back around. I got a pm from some guy who I didn't even sell an 08 bb, that thanked me for the idea and asked me if I wanted a target g1 jazz for cost + shipping so it does pay off in the end to help out your fellow fan...

7. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Ah, c'mon, who was it? What's the problem? If you enjoy your collection, or at least that figure, more opened than misb, then open it. Entirely up to you. I have some misb stuff, but mostly because I haven't had the time to open them or the space to display them.

8. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to feel about this. My family didn't have much money when I was a kid so I never got to have any transformers. Now that I'm working and making my own income now, I can finally buy Transformers - something I never got to have while growing up. I usually buy 2 - 1 to keep MISB and 1 to play with. If I saw a kid who wanted one though, I'd give up 1 to them. I don't kids should get first dibs on them. Greedy? Yes, but I never got to have any as a kid, so I stand by my decision.

9. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah..but Im pretty sure thats was before it was widely known that he was going to be was ZOMG RARE, I also recall plenty of people passing on him before his rarity was known...can you say you would do the same now?.....also I am asking rhetorically.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Rhetorical? Never assume you know what someone would do, just because you couldn't resist. Reselling toys is too much hassle, and someone else would certainly enjoy the opportunity to get him at retail price instead of eBay auction price, so yes, I would still leave him there. I even passed up an Air Attack Optimus Primal on clearance at $10 because I didn't want him.

11. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Oh, no, no. I agree with you. I've always had a problem with people doing that.

As I agree with this as well.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    eh, fine. it was thunderwing. I plan on buying and opening a MISB metroplex eventually too. he was my true holy grail as a child. I don't want him loose. I want the whole experience, being the first to open him, to apply the stickers, everything.

13. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Aww man I just punched my monitor so hard it broke. :( 

14. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Fort Max was a C-note, IIRC.... back when he was new.

My take on this - I won't buy one for robot mode, one for alt-mode, because it's a TRANSFORMER, and when I want the mode i want, i'll change it. Hell, having multiples of a toy (not mold, but the exact same thing - two blitzwings, for example) kinda sucks for me, cuz what's the point of TFing it then?

I don't do MISB. I buy one, 'less it breaks, then I go buy a second.

I have bought the same toy over and over again for friends, especially here (well only here, i mean, and TFans). I've gone back and bought one, then gone back, and they're still there, yknow, like ooh there's a shirt John would like. Yknow? (even so, that was like once, when SW vs. UM was FLOODING the stores).

If there was a kid who had his hands on something, i'd ALWAYS defer. But I have been known to dally long enough that the kid might put it down, and i'd grab it. (i do dally quite a bit regardless)

I'm also conscious of trends, and current situations - when I KNOW that we're in the middle of a drought, I'm not going to go buying multiples. Just not gonna do it.

15. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Really? And what should we do then? Buy a toy intended to be played with and keep it all nice and sealed up just because there aren't as many left in the world MISB/MOSC? In case you can't tell I'm being sarcastic.

Seriously though; for collectors who really want the toy to open like it was the very first time that Christmas in '89 or smething your mentality is rather enfuriating in certain respects. Not to mention buying loose to play with means a crap shoot when it comes to level of joint tightness, paint fading, accessories missing/all there and the like.

A toy was meant to be opened and enjoyed, keeping it Mint Sealed is the perogative of whoever owns it, if for whatever reason sometime in later years you sell that mint item to a collector who may be someone who keeps nothing mint that is their perogative. You can't just start discriminating against that type of collector and refuse to sell it to them because honestly you don't know what the guy might do with it. You also can't force your views of Minty Fresh in the Package for all time collecting onto someone who could care less about the Primus forsaken packaging when all they really want is the toy in mint condition without sticker wear, paint fading or joints so loose you can't keep'em upright on the shelf.

Your opinion on this matter confounds me to no end, also this is completely off-topic I think so I'll just stop right there. I suppose I'll get punched too just because I bought G2 Jolt/Volt/Cyberjets/Windbreaker and opened them up as soon as I got them seven or eight years ago.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can understand the need to buy extras but to buy 3?! That's abit extreme! The most I would buy is 2.

17. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    you know, i try my hardest not to buy anything new in the tf line, i like the old stuff. and I said i never buy movie toys either. well, i have a wall of AEC/alts/titaniums and all the movie toys except the repaints. maybe not every empty wally world , target, etc. is because of the scalpers/hoarders. maybe hasbro never planned on the toys doing this well? I just passed on three G1 style jazz repaints the other day, figured the leader brawl in my hand was good enough....and I love that damn toy.

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I buy multiples. But, I buy one of any given toy at any given time. If I want three of a toy, it has to come to me on three separate occassions, usually separated by a week or two in between each.

I tend to find one to three toys I really, REALLY like in any given line. So, I'll pass on a lot of them, sometimes even the popular ones. But the ones I like, I buy multiples of. This, in my mind, sends a signal to Hasbro that, "Hey, this is the one that's awesome." I'm voting with my money on how I want future toys designed. But I'm not taking toys away from other people that want them.

If I already own the toy, and there's only one on the shelf, I don't buy another. If I already own the toy, there's lots of them on the shelf, it's essentially a shelf/peg warmer, I may buy two at a time. But I don't see the point in lecturing people for collecting more than one of a given figure. Collecting is a seriously selfish act in and of itself. It's an indulgence. Provided you aren't wiping out every store in town of some given toy, it should be fine to buy multiples. Now, I don't like the idea of buying multiples at once, unless it's a shelf-warmer, but I wouldn't deny someone else the right to do that.

I always find these "morals of collecting" discussions interesting. Everybody has their own idea of the right way and wrong way to collect, and some are so hard-core in their beliefs that they really want to label anyone doing it differently as some horrible person.

19. Reverend Frenzy

Reverend Frenzy Member

In my opinion the real loser here is Hasbro. Sure, they make money when the shelves are cleared. But they make zero, zip, zilch from the secondary market that is right there staring them in the face. Not that I know anything about the toy industry, or even about basic economics, but if I was the head of the corporation, I'd be pissed that some lamewad on Ebay is making money off of my toys. Supply shortage is just as bad for business as overstock. I have been guilty of buying a few things I didn't want, but not in huge quantities. I think I saw all of one FAB Frenzy before there was absolutely nothing on the shelves. I'm glad I picked it up, even if I wasn't sure about it at the time. Actually I find it a little humorous that even the shelf warmers are gone by now. Parents must be getting really desperate. You can be the whole scrunity of toys from China won't make this better any time soon.

I just wonder where the media coverage is on this thing. Seriously...the hottest toy of the summer that you can't find anywhere! Help us for once Fox News!

20. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

:horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :horse: