No better than scalpers...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JinraiPrime, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Bombhunter

Bombhunter Merciless Always

What if they don't make more? Then what? You gotta go to the scalpers and the guy who washes his car....

2. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I personally have only ever bought one of each TF, and I always take them out of the box to display. The only one I've considered getting a duplicate of is Concept BB, because I really love both modes and would love to display them both. However, since they are so scarce I have not gotten a second one yet even though I've come across one or two recently. I'm going to wait until mid-October when this drought will hopefully be over and there will be plenty all over the place. Then, I'll grab another.

3. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

yea right

4. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Thats one thing I love about these boards is when I see someone say "listen guys i bought 5 of X, im selling them for what they cost + shipping, maybe a dollar for gas" Thats awesome and in all honesty is hard to find... but you do find it here, its great seeing the fandom support its own.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

There is always a drought for Transformers though. Alternators, Titantiums, exclusives, first waves of any line...when does it end.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Fortunately, there's no way Hasbro will pass up making more of these toys when the demand is so incredibly high. All it means is a huge inconvenience for most of us because a small minority of us are greedy. If, for whatever reason, Hasbro decided not to make more of the toys we're missing out on right now, then what scalpers and multiples collectors are doing would be even worse.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, I don't think that's entirely applicable here, although the point itself makes sense. Between this board, Seibertron and the Allspark boards, I would assume that the Hasbro lurkers have noticed the general outcry of "we can't find anything!" - and they're probably seeing the incredibly empty store shelves around the country - and are working to meet the demand.

Hypothetically, yeah, if they didn't make any more toys, then you'd have to go track down that scalper. Realistically, in time, I assume we'll see enough (or a surplus) of nearly all of the toys that folks are currently pulling their hair out about, particularly '08 Bumblebee. Now, the only reason I'm making this assumption is because these toys are part of one particular very successful piece of media - the Transformers film. It sold well and it'll continue to sell well, and now Hasbro needs to meet the demands of folks who want to buy a lot of Transformers movie media - toys included.

8. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

lmao in all honesty I couldnt afford multiples of a mold even if i wanted to ish is just coming out to fast for me to keep up, and then there are past molds im seeking as well... mainly G1 Menasor right now ):

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll sell my concept Bumblebee for the cost that I paid for it at Kohl's plus the amount of gas money I put into hunting for it.

Let's see.

Final grand total is.

$123,456,789.99

:p 

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Really? I thought you'd bitch about those people too, since every extra one they buy for resale here is technically taking the figures away from kids in their area.

11. Bombhunter

They may be making more, but they are also changing them. Recon Barricade and 09 Bumblebee for instance... Eventually the shelves could be lined with those, and the original versions of both cars could be scarce. And Brawl...what if they do change it to Devestator? Finding a Brawl might prove to be extremely difficult then.
    I haven't seen a Blackout in the store for a few weeks, but there are Megatrons galore. They are coming in Blackout's place in the case with Starscream, Ratchet and Ironhide...

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Not gonna happen. his name is brawl, and it will be changed on the DVD.

13. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I was thinking the same thing.

14. tantrum

tantrum Northwest fan

Ebay:
    I think it is not a problem with collectors buying more than one toy, but more a problem of hasbro just not making enough. I think it was the armada series I got duplicates of everything to keep one unopened, with the movie most of the toys were not that appealing to me so I did not get every single one much less duplicates of the movie toys. you have to figure some people that are NOT collectors also get toy or two because of the movie.

15. Bombhunter

It was an example, I know...Hence the "What if" I've seen the gazillion posts of "Why is he Devastator in the movie?"

16. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The TF fandom for the most part hypocritical on this issue...at the end of the day everyone is out for themselves, and sometimes their buddy circle...if someone has the chance to get ahold of something rare and coveted, they do.

One has to look no further than the SDCC rodimus on HTS, nearly every person who had the chance to order bought 2, therefore screwing other collectors...the most common answer is "If I didn't get it a SCALPER WOULD HAVE!"

Then guess who the people who didn't get one have to resort to get one.... How many of those same people grabbed 2 of each pimp daddy destro, just because they knew they would get alot on ebay or make good trade fodder even though they dont like joes? ALOT of them, so then joe collectors got screwed

The ugly fact of things is one open and one to keep sealed= usually translates into one to have and one to trade or sell at a potentially huge profit down the road....not saying EVERY collector does this, and not calling anyone out, but if I put a percent on it, 70% would be my estimate.

Let's not kid ourselves, 9 outta 10 people who hook up complete strangers are thinking..."hey now maybe when I need something, somebody will look out for me" Sometime they reciprocate, sometimes they don't.

But it is what it is, and EVERYONE has at one time or another hoarded a hard to find figure(s) or exclusive with the express intent to resale for profit, or trade for something they consider more desirable, whether they admit it or not.

The only people that havent are people that havent had the opportunity to for whatever reason. Who at this site would pass up an alt swerve if they saw one at WM/target/TRU tomorrow?

This fandom is its own biggest Boogeyman, not scalpers.

I also know..by posting this, several somebodies are going to say they have NEVER hoarded or bought multiples of ANYTHING, ...and they passed 18 swerves...22 red box tracks...15 Energon Magnuses...etc, even though they had 100's of dollars in their pockets should they have wanted to

If indeed thats the case, you sirs are TRULY GODS among men...

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I buy what I want. I buy nothing for resale. for example: I had the chance at the beginning of cybertron to buy three energon beachcombers at meijers (which were quite rare), but I never bought a single one. I don't like the mold, I don't like the colors. I only get things I want to bring home, open, and enjoy. reselling never crosses my mind.

I'm not the only one like that. lots of people are. despite a lot of collectors in the area, those energon beachcombers were there from their debut in energon right up until wave 2 of cybertron.

18. Transfan2

Transfan2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only buy duplicates for one reason: Display like I only get 4 for combiners (Robot/Vehicle/Combined & MISB/MOSC) and 3 for Non-Combiners.

I am an archiver and like making displays like this.

If you don't like it, too bad because you can't let people make choices for them.

-TF2

19. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I can understand buying one or two sealed versions of the same toy to store away for THE FUTURE but I will never understand the whole "I buy 3 of each toy to open - one for robot display, one for alt display and one to fiddle with" deal.

But really the only thing that will make me angry towards other collectors is the people that buy a sealed figure (G2 or earlier) and then rip it right open. THE FUCK YO. There are only a very FINITE amount of those left on the planet - we should be preserving the few examples left. Want to play with it? BUY A LOOSE ONE.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I've done that. I won't say what it was, because I fear people would somehow manage to punch me through my monitor.