No better than scalpers...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JinraiPrime, Aug 26, 2007.

1. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Personal rant coming.....I came to a realization today after a conversation with an old aquaintance of mine at wally. He was purchasing movie toys and he was purchasing them 3 at a time. This incidently took the shelves from being full to being empty and I personally saw a kid looking at his cart all forlorn. So i questioned this guy and hes no scalper he keeps one open, one MIB and one for his kid... I dont care how you justify it a lot like scalping this is greed at its finest... People preach and preach about how scalpers are taking away toys from kids and the fandom alike emptying shelves and driving up prices... in a lot of cases the FANS are no better, I know quite a few people on the various boards I go to who do the exact same thing... money brings priviledge...and everyone else has to suffer. I dont see a difference anymore, the greedy fan is no better than the scalper in my opinion.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    It is unfortunate that your acquaintance wasn't willing to give up one to that kid.

I can understand that some collectors like to keep on MISB. But for me, if I were a collector who kept one in the packaging and saw a kid who was looking sad, I'd give mine up. I mean I would have one already to play with. A second one to keep in the packaging is just secondary and can be found later.

That guy is pretty cold blooded to not give up one to a budding fan.

3. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I only buy 1... I keep them MISB/MOSC, at least the movie toys.
    What that guy did was pretty rude though... I'm sure the kid would enjoy the figure much more than him.
    But I guess the problem is larger in the US than in Denmark, there's really no scalping at all. Just lack of new wave toys.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I only ever buy one of anything. I keep nothing sealed, so duplicates are pointless unless something is damaged.

5. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

These are TOYS, so kids should get first dibs. I've had this happen to me in the mid/late 90's when I collected SW toys. i saw a punk ass "adult" collector follow a kid who had a then rare POTF Princess Leia through TRU waited for the kid to get seperated from his parents and he took the damn thing out of his hands and make a b-line to the register. right then and there I stopped being a MOSC collector. Now I cant see the apeal of keeping toys MISB/OSC.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that "hard core" collectors are no better than scalpers...I do the same thing when I buy them....I get one to display, and the other to keep MISB....and I dont think that makes me a scalper or the same as a scalper...

As Razerwire said though, if I would have had a "cart full" of new tf toys, and a kid came along wanting something from my cart, I would have given it to the kid...I'm not that cold hearted.....heck, I have actually done that before....and the parent was in shock, and very thankful too.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Did he even notice the kid looking at his haul? He's only buying two for himself and one for his kid. I wouldn't say that he is greedy, and who's to say the kid looking at his cart actually wanted the transformer he was buying?

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hell, I had a guy bring a case out of the back of tru for me. it had a ton of figures I needed in it (including cc bumblebee) but there was another collector around too, so I let him have one of the figures I needed, just so he didn't go home empty handed. guess I made a good choice letting him get barricade, huh?

9. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

meh, his waste of money

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I think scalpers are worse since they make a profit off of it. Your friend was making his kid happy, scalpers only make themselves happy

11. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went to one of the local targets in my area, and nothing. and I found myself saying "damn scalpers".

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Look - two, three, etc. of any hot new toy is excess. I've read a lot of these threads where people try to justify that it's okay that they purchased two, three, four, etc. for various people, their kids, their contacts, etc. and...honestly...that still doesn't alleviate the fact that you're taking a lot of new product off of the shelves and away from the most important target market here - KIDS.

No matter how you slice it, I think that's just plain mean. It's not nice.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    by and large i only buy one of each, but much as i hate to admit, i prolly did the same on occasion and barring finances wouldve done something similar :(  i keeps it real yo

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Considering the toy drought that's affecting much of the US, right now is a really poor time to be buying multiples. If you want more than one, wait until the toys get to a higher saturation point so that other fans have a crack at the figures.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm sick of seeing nothing but empty shelves. Until there are enough toys to go around, it should be "one per customer". Once they're easier to find, people can buy as many as they want.

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

If you wanna buy one for yourself and one for your kid, or a friend, or something like that, okay.

If you want one to open and one to keep MISB, and some kid is there wanting one... seriously, give it to the kid and find your duplicate later. Is it that hard? :(  Hell, if I found an 08 Bumblebee (which both my girlfriend AND I want), and I saw a kid eyeing the one in my hand looking sad, I'd give it to him. Unless he was rude and/or throwing a fit... If I had two, I'd CERTAINLY give him one... and give my girlfriend the other.

It's a freakin' toy. I've got more.

17. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Hold on a second, weren't you the guy buying a bunch of PSX games and selling them for a %500 mark up? I think it was so your family could have a "good Christmas". And PSX games weren't the only things you were scalping.

If I remember correctly, you've got some 'splainin' to do. :stick: 

18. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the target audience is anyone who likes tfs, not just kids nowadays, but the kids back in the 80's and 90's who have more money than the kids today have. and if kids were the only target audience, the shelves wouldnt be empty.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. What are kids doing at Walmart at 3:00 AM?

2. I don't think the guy did anything wrong. If he had 3 kids with him he should of bought 5. His kid is probably just as big a TF fan as you are.

20. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Things i do understand:
    One for you, one for your kid so he doesnt touch yours lol.
    One for you, couple for friends who cant get to the store/cant find it in stores

Wont understand:
    Buying multiples because you like having them in different poses, configuarations
    Buying multiples under the premise that you must exercise your artistic abilities in kitbashing (new toys only, old toys at the end of their run are different)
    Buying multiples to build an 'Army' i was guilty of this with Scrapmetals but around here at least they became a dime a dozen.
    Buying multiples just to have your cake and eat it too.

oh by the way, i found the kid a voyager prime on a top shelf by some bike helmets and he went away pleased :) 

EDIT: yeah i was the one who posted that, but if you REALLY remembered correctly you would also know that I said I have since stopped the scalping ways I just wanted people to get both sides of the story from a former scalper. Never claimed it wasnt morally wrong, it just wasnt illegal..now i just work the system someday ill write a book on how to get a good deal from retailers legally.