NJ Medical School Discriminated Student for Being a White, African, American

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TM2 D-bot, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

wow

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

so let me get this straight... you can be born in africa, but you're not african, because pf the color of your skin? what about afrikaners from south africa then? isn't this getting a bit ridiculous?

oh yeah, in before lock.

4. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

yeah, sounds unfair, and this is a rather loaded topic i must admit.

5. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    I guess he found the loophole in the whole "I'm not black, I'm African American" thing.

6. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Dave Matthews is an African American

7. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

You know thats what i never got about the whole African American thing, if you are born in america your just american right? i am not French Dutch wherever my ancestors came from American.

8. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Do i hear a can opener?

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    wait, what? seriously thats messed up I hope the guy wins his lawsuit and yah in before the lock

10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

This guy REALLY should have considered his audience before saying that.

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

ow... this guy made my brain hurt.

edit. i see now. another case of 'how society sees it'

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    For what is it worth, I agree with the lawsuit.

What he said was never incorrect. The there African American is stupid and really just a PC way of calling some one Black. Do we call poeple from Egypt African's?

The other crazy thing about the term is that in Canada people still use the term African Americans...

13. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, that has more to do with north and south america being considered the 'americas', though at the same time I don't consider myself to be an american.

I think the guy has a valid point in this suit. What he said wasn't untrue. My grandfather is a white german canadian, and had he been born in africa he would be a white african canadian.

I can see how some people would have initially reacted as wtf?, but after the fact that he was born in africa the subject should have been dropped.

It does make an interesting puzzle though. Had he been black, would he have then been called an african american african american?

14. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

It is supposed to be a term to represent genetic heritage, not nationality heritage. But the wording and terms they use for all of this stuff is pretty out-dated and wrong. Everyone 'knows' what they mean but the terms are stupid.

CAUCASIAN is used to describe people who descended from people who were denoted by the anthropological divisions of Europe, Eastern Asia and the Middle east mostly.

Technically he is Caucasian regardless of his 'nationality'.

AFRICAN is used to describe people who descended from Africa. They just slap American/Canadian on it.

If he is 'white', his nationality may have been African but his genetic heritage isn't and that is what they are classifying when they talk about race. Genetic heritage not Nationality.

15. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well that sucks about him being mocked and stuff, but he should have said that he was originally from Africa, and came to the US instead of "I'm a white African-American", you know that's bound to p-off some people

16. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Another vague, fact-lite article stirs up the "the world sure sucks/damn lawyers(!!) so I better type about how much it does" crowd at tfw.

brb guise, gon' get my popcorns!

But hey, I'll chime in too. Nkelsch is right, and the guy with the lawsuit was just playing semantics and trying to stand out. He'll have a hard time proving discrimination in any case, unless he has video of black professors from the school burning a cross in his yard or something.

What a douche.

17. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

It sounds like he was looking for a fight and got upset when he found one and lost.

[Slight derail] I worked with an English/Jamaican guy who used to get upset if people referred to him as African-American. "Listen to me, mon. Do I sound like I'm from [friggin'] Africa? Jamaica's here, England's ever here, and Africa is way the [frig] over here." But he had a quote that I feel applies and that I still use today: "No, that doesn't make you sound racist. It makes you sound like a [friggin'] idiot."

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

So how many generations back does this guy's family have to go in Africa before he's allowed to be African? He was born in Africa. Sounds African to me.

19. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Doesn't matter that he is from Jamacia. That is a Nationality

*Nationality is a the relationship between a person and their state of origin, culture, association, affiliation and/or loyalty

*Ethnicity is a term which represents social groups with a shared history, sense of identity, geography and cultural roots which may occur despite racial difference.

*Race or racial group usually refers to the categorization of humans into populations or groups on the basis of various sets of heritable characteristics

So if they are using "African American" as a term to denote a RACE of people with genetic ancestry to Africa before European mercantile expansion, then yes... he is African American. His Ethnicity may be Jamacan but that is not his race.

There is a big difference, the main problem is the terms are ambiguous and people don't understand the difference between them. The issue is, It is easy to use 'Caucasian' or 'asian' but good luck coming up with a term that isn't offensive and/or confusing. Pretty much every other 'term' you can think of is probably 'clearer' but offensive.

Anywho, this original article person Fails. He is Caucasian.

20. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

speaking for myself i happen to be hispanic on my mothers side of the family and germanic as well as irish on the 2 sides of my fathers family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.