Customs: Nitro Flame Tutorial By Scotscream

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Scotscream, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    Nitro/real flame tutorial with templates/stencils

hey guys thought id put this up here to show how i do this technique as iv had a few requests

ok first of this is not the same as the true fire technique but it is similar,check out wikkids awesome tutorial for that.this is just my way of doing this so....

ok so to get this goin were gonna need these ingredients!

stencils-i use the mike levee (spelling?) true fire set,there great and they come with a fantastic dvd,some people make there own but i have found for all the extra hassle its worth just buyin some,i got a few sets off ebay for like 10 dollars and there great and solvent proof,and of course...an airbrush!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

paints im using are solid white,im using spazstix but you can use any and a solid black (for fixing mistakes!!)

and im using transparent violet for the flames and transparent blue for the highlights

ok so for this iv done a quick spray up of a OP toy and its worth pointing out that this works best on a black background but feel free to experiment,also its worth having some crappy toy to hand to practise your ideas on before moving to the real deal

ok in pic 1 we have all the bits we need[​IMG]

pic 2 im using the solid white as you can see iv just traded a couple of shapes off each other here,make sure not to directly spray the model,what your wanting here is the softer edge of the overspray so spray near the edge of the stencil.on another note id reccomend using a higher PSI for this than i did in this tutorial to get a neater more precise pattern (sorry guys i rushed this) [​IMG]

pic 3 you can see some stencils have the flame ends,use these more sparingly than i have,iv used them a lot here just to show how its done but the eye will spot repitition very quickly so the more random you make your flames the better they will look.also try to keep them flowing in the same direction inverted flames dont look good [​IMG]

pic 4 is what i meant by "inverted flames" this is what you want to avoid,notice how the hard edge of one shape and the soft edge of another dont match up?go in with your black and take this out if you make a mistake like this or darken it right down in the back with transparent black [​IMG]

pic 5 is just developing the technique further,iv purly used the stencils here but its good to add some free hand in there too,you can see this on the finished pic of nemesis prime better [​IMG]

pic 6 shows how to make larger more flowing flames,its woth noting that this type of pattern is also used to create smoke effects just invert the colours and dont use the flame ends [​IMG]

pic 7 iv gone in with the violet,because these are transparent colours no need to be precise here just get an even side to side finish,we really want these flames to be set right in the back so make these initial flames basic in design and quite dark,this will add to the depth of them at the end [​IMG]

pic 8 iv gone back in with the white,added a few more licks (haha sorry had to say that)here you can add new patterns and its also good to hit some of your original parts here,this will help for the highlights but make sure you match up the stencils or it will get messy! [​IMG]

pic 9 and 10 are the final step before finishing,iv gone in now with the blue and just picked out random parts of the flames that i want to stand out,this always looks cool and brings the pattern to life a lot more,notice i have not covered the entire pattern,with the blue less is more [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the final pic 11 is an example of something finished iv done with this technique. [​IMG]

hope iv helped someone with this and remember im still learning this myself and am by no means an expert so just use your imagination and im sure you talented guys and gals will nail this!

-UPDATE- ok here are the flame stencils/templates i use,there awesome,i sugest printing a few different sizes of the same template and then backing them with sticky back plastic (thats what us brits call it haha) also notice there is a division line down the centre,these are great because you can use the negatives of each shape here.enjoy!

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Great tutorial. I'd like to add anyone who needs it should search over on Sector70 - A Kitbashing Resource for Wikkid's True Fire tutorial, which is the same technique/tutorial. I know you mentioned it, but I thought people might not know where to find the True Fire tutorial. ;) 

Aside from that, you've done an awesome job and a great Prime. :) 

Could I ask a favour, though? Wikkid's never provided the templates for the flames, the White panel shape things. Would you mind posting the templates?

3. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    yeah ill try figure out how to do it,i think they can be found on net im not sure but like i said earlyer its really better to buy these because if you cout them out they need to be mega smooth or you can tell

failing that ill put up some links to some cool stencils.cheers

4. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    bump!templates added!

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Awesome! Thanks for this!

6. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay: