Nintendo Switch/NX Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yup, these reward systems are as stupid as dlc. Added gameplay value is only if you can unlock bonus levels, new story parts or other stuff that add to the game. Reward system is only a superficial "gameplay value". I always turn notifications of for this stuff. That's like a dick-measuring contest and not added gameplay value.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Well yeah, obviously. There's no denying that trophies or achievements can prolong a short game, or even a long, great game. If you don't like them, go ahead and switch the alerts off but they're a nice little reward to give a reason to "wrap" a game.

One of my favourite things to do during some dry spells between new games is grab an older one and 1000 Cheevo it or platinum it; regardless of your personal opinion a reward system is a big part of all modern games, even the 3DS as it's little trophy pop-ups

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Well i have something closeto 1600 trophies on the psn and 2 platniums, at first they where neat, now im just like, oh look another trophy wow...

I play for story plot and good gameplay if it has neather it ends up returned.

E.g digimon cyber sleuth fun battles story plot is dull.

Prince of persa ( the one you cant die) good story plot, terrable game play.

Devil may cry well this is a complete winner.

Trophys mean nothing once you have many besides makeing up for a insecurity lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Since it's catridge based, we should NOT see that "update screen" at each play right?

That kills the mood to even play. Especially if your time is limited.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  5. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    That's quite the leap in logic you make since trophies never mean anything because it's just a digital confirmation of something you did in a game.

Like I said, one my favourite things to do is wrap a game by doing everything in the game, and then when I have time get some trophies, some are incredibly hard to get so there can be a nice sense of achievement (natch) to it.

I sometimes find shitting on other people's opinions is an attempt to make up for an insecurity.

6. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I'm not arsed by achievements, but go for the ones in Warcraft that reward stuff.
    This is what I don't get, why not just attach unlocks to them in a similar way Overwatch does with sprays or WoW does with toys and mounts? They'd be more meaningful that way.
    Nintendo do have an opportunity to tie in their reward program to achievements- if they're willing to give coins on for just clicking a button on a website I think it'd be a cool idea to give coins based on gameplay.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Oh, hey Ruby - haven't seen you in a long while.

I've observed there's a lot of issue both real and ******ed that gamers are willing to use as a hill to die on, can't say that not having a trophy/achievement system was ever one I picked up on. Then again they annoy the piss out of me so perhaps I just never noticed.

8. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Oh I'm all for additional unlocks, some great stuff was tied to Gears of War 3 but just like you, I'm not bothered in the reverse. They don't take anything away from the game, you can completely ignore then as they're benign but they can give you something extra to work on when you're dropping $100 on a 4 to 10 hour game.

You're soooo right in regards to tying it a rewards system since we no longer get the inserts with the serials to register games, a trophy system tied in would make a great way to earn some additional Nintendo coins or platinum coins. It's going to be weird the first Nintendo game with achievements will be on the iPhone, using Game Center a freemium runner app.

9. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Should pretty much act as a 3DS.

10. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Corrected it.

Posting on my phone during my break on rainy cold day. :lol 

11. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Yeah, if anything cartridge based skyrim load times has me frothing at the teeth.

12. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

One of the few things that Nintendo actually said about the system before the reveal this week is that it's not running Android. Unless that's changed in the past few months, the best bet is a custom OS like all their other systems.

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

"It's a jigsaw. It's a power drill. It's a wood-turning lathe. It's an asphalt spreader."

I had to watch the video several times over to get a sense of what they're selling. It seems to consist of all sorts of bits and pieces that are constantly being taken apart and reconfigured for different purposes. Now I have no trouble understanding it, but considering how Nintendo had difficulty communicating the Wii U to the public at large maybe they'd be better just focusing on one or two key features when the product comes to market.

I remember the Wii U had a similar video focusing on the lifestyle aspects and all that. The main difference here is they've zeroed in on the cool kids. Teens, twenty-somethings, basketball players. There's not a grandma in sight.

14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    To be honest i just want good games, with the big N its been a while

15. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

It seriously hasn't- wii U library is strong as fuck, just no one bought the system.

• Like Like x 2
  16. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    on the rewards system thing, i'm in if you could use the points to get stuff like dlc or other games in the eshop, otherwise i'm not interested...makes me think of this video

otherwise it just seems pointless....i watched my brother spend DAYS trying to 100% assassin's creed games, halo games, and pretty much every game we got just for 100 useless points, where i just want to have fun! (only a few exceptions in my case, but i know when an achievement is too much.....)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's not the point though. From the other post I quoted, kain meant that people PRIORITIZE HAVING A TROPHY SYSTEM as a dealbreaker as to whether or not they will pick up the system.

It doesn't bother me if they are there. It doesn't bother me if they are not. That is not what even remotely interests me when considering a new game system purchase.
    So again, if that is a PRIORITY for you, why even consider the switch if it may or may not have them? Plenty of other systems that offer those achievements if that is a necessary artificial feature for you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I only enjoy trophies on games I really like, like the lego games.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's not running Android as its main OS. Besides Nintendo already stating that it wouldn't be, Nvidia also recently commented on creating entirely new APIs for it. But even if it were running something Android-based, Google's trophy system is part of the Play Store APIs. It's not baked into the main OS, and not part of the open source OS.

I know zero people like that, therefore there aren't many at all. Or maybe "people we know" isn't a large enough sample size to make a generalization about the entire market.

I could imagine it including an Android "virtual console" for the sake of playing Nintendo's mobile games and such. Then it would still be true that it's not running Android (as a main OS). But that still wouldn't make Google's trophy system accessible to native Switch games.

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Or Nintendo's own IP library is the opposite of "strong as fuck."