Nintendo's Earnings Last Year...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scrapper6, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Hasn't anyone else seen the info concerning Nintendo's earnings last year and how they aren't as good as they were envisioning, hell that's an understatement, they are a lot worse due to the strength of the Yen in Japan right now.

More importantly isn't anyone concerned at all that talk about potential bankruptcy for the largest videogame company in the world? And it's all because of the smart phones, and their free or cheap to get games.

I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't want to see Nintendo fold up, considering how long they've been around and how much I've supported them, even through questionable game system decisions such as the N64 and the Gamecube.

I feel anxious and a bit uncertain as to the future of my favorite game company or it's IPs, if they go bankrupt and no longer produce anything where will we get quality titles like Zelda? Mario? Smash Bros.? Etc...

And how the hell can games you get on those so called Smart Phones even compete with dedicated console titles that are made for a gaming market? Seriously, average citizen would rather flick stupid birds into a tower than hack and slash through dungeons to defeat Ganon?

Well I suppose most citizens aren't dedicated gamers, but come on, since Nintendo has been around for so long the gaming community has grown exponetially and there are a lot more casual gamers out there these days thanks to the innovation of the Wii and the DS that could convert.

I'm just not sure what to make of the info, considering it's second hand nature through my father who heard it on the radio. I know its possible that Nintendo could be hurting right now, but I find it hard to believe that they might even consider Bankruptcy.

Anyway, I just wanted to see how other gamers feel about this information.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Concerned? No. The better question is: Why didnt Nintendo see this coming when the rest of the world did?

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No concern at all. They'll be fine.

4. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

I hate to see anything relating to video games fail or go under..

But I can't deny that Nintendo made some pretty bad decisions with regard to the 3DS launch

but ya i think theyll be aight

5. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

i always hear crackpot journalist talking about how smart phones are gonna kill consoles. eastern developers have had a mis step or two but i dont see nintendo or any other console makers going anywhere soon

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And if for some reason Nintendo, Sony, or MS type of gaming does fail in favor of something like Angry Birds, then I will change hobbies, cold turkey. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope. They'll be fine and will probably star operating smarter again.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I "Play" my 3DS. I "fiddle" with my phone.

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Coincidentally, I went with my cousin and uncle to get her a new 3DS tonight. Got there, and she decided it wasn't for her. What's the first thing she does afterwards? Pulls out a smartphone and starts chatting/gaming/what have you. The average citizen just isn't a gamer, sadly.

Still, to be worried Nintendo will fold is a bit of an overreaction. I highly doubt they will die. Even though titles like Sonic CD have made it to the App Store and Android Markets, those games still don't compare to games designed for gamers. If anything, I'm betting there will be a shift towards companies geared for either handhelds or consoles, rather than both. Either people embrace the tablets and smartphones and they need to target true gamers with consoles, or people embrace tablets and smartphones so much that they will only use a handheld. Alternatively, I could be completely wrong.

Obviously there have been questionable things from Nintendo (like everything 3DS related) recently, but not something that'll make them die. If the WiiU comes out and doesn't sell, then I might be more inclined to be worried. As it stands, all I see is the gap between handhelds and phones getting smaller and smaller (Xperia's play phone ad arguably the 7.7 Galaxy or Galaxy Note). As long as they have Mario and Pokemon, I don't see Nintendo dying. That said, I wouldn't be too sad to see them go.

10. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

11. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

I'm actually glad the 3DS launch mess happened, because it should be a lesson to be learned from when you compare it to its current success

You can make money on an affordably priced new piece of hardware if:
    like i said, its affordably priced
    you have a decent and diverse library at launch
    it has all the intended features available at launch

heres hoping they gained some valuable experience

12. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

130$ for the 3DS which was not too bad for a sale price at pharmaceutical store. I should have bought one back then.

I'll buy the 3DS when Monster Hunter comes out. I bought the Wii for the exact same reason. I think MH will help a bit in selling some craptastic 3D machine. I wish MH comes out in Vita.

13. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Their 3DS launch was terrible, but the holiday season (and beyond) has made up for it. (Though I'm still uneasy about that slide pad add on...)

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too, but I agree about the Holiday season. Mario 3D and Kart have been pure freakin' joy.

15. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

All Nintendo needs to do is have a kickass Wii U launch... with games that people actually WANT to play, and they'll be up to speed real quick. Let's face it, Nintendo is really good at putting out quality games, and on a system that actually acts like a next gen console, the possibilities are quite delicious.

But really, the Wii U launch is what matters. If Nintendo can bring their own brand of quality to online communication and community, people will eat that up. I mean, I would.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's really all it comes down to. If the Wii U launched with a Zelda, or even a very good Mario game, they would have to pay me to not get one, and then I'd end up taking the money they paid me and buying one anyway.

17. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Oh, of course. The funny thing is, even though Nintendo's been saying that realistic graphics won't be the next step for Zelda, they keep hyping up the HD Zelda experience... which will be awesome. And a Mario game would always be welcome. What Miyamoto needs to do is develop some sort of server-based game for the Wii U, to show that Nintendo has the balls to deliver in the next gen setting.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I highly doubt Nintendo will go bust, at worse if the WIIU really tanks they may go the way of Sega and make games for other systems. Mario, Link, and Samus.Pokemon still sell.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, Nintendo won't fold. They'll simply adapt. Change and survive.

20. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Realistic looking graphics aren't the only things you can get with the extra power, a Mario Game that looks as nice as Banjo Kazooie N&B would be so friggin beautiful.

Edit: Oh, and have people forgotten all the doom and gloom Nintendo had to deal with during the 64, GC and just before wii launch? They'll be fine.