Nintendo's E3 conference

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Jul 11, 2007.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I think Nintendo's presentation was a step up from MS's (though I admit being a bit biased in N's favor, even if I am a Wii60 guy). Wasn't as defensive - MS tried hard to sell how successful the 360 is; obviously Nintendo doesn't have to do that. Also give 'em props for directly addressing criticisms, which again belies more faith in their product (no way could MS address the failure rate in it's presentation).

I think they did a good job of selling their overall lineup and strategy. Mario Kart online is huge, and the 3 new controllers (at cheap prices) is good. Can't wait to get the new zapper. The final dates for the Trinity was an absolute must.

That said, it could have been more. Not a great deal of breadth revealed when it comes to 3P support (showroom floor, maybe? I understand N has to hock its own), and MK was really the only unknown title shown. WiiFit... well, my wife seemed interested. I'm just curious what else the board can be used for. Everyone knows what Nintendo has this year. I think they needed to reassure that there would be even more coming in 2008; more names needed to be dropped.

In short, I think they did what they had to do, but didn't go the extra mile.

8 out of 10.

FTR - G4 was better too - fewer, less intrusive breaks than with the MS conference. They really need to find a better way to do this next year. And if these continue to be televised, both MS and Nintendo need to spice up their conferences to show it. This isn't being watched by millions of shareholders - this is going out to their core audiences, and I think we want to be wowed.

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Imagine the possibilities with the balance board.

For example:
    Baseball games could be even more dynamic by judging weight distribution in your swing to give a more accurate result.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Not too bad of a show from Nintendo IMO. I already knew about Mario Kart, but I had no idea it was coming so soon. Should be interesting to see more of it. The Wii Fit thing actually looks pretty cool. I might get that. Too much talk about the expanded market for my taste. Nice to have dates on Smash Bros and Mario. Also, did Nintendo say anything about online for Smash Bros?

But I think Nintendo still has more to show. Im interested to see what they are showing behind closed doors.

4. misterd

I think most of us "knew" it was coming, but not if they'd reveal it here (as someone on another board pointed out, Smash Bros Brawl wasn't revealed until the last day of E3 '07). Still too many known titles (Hammer, Disaster) and suspected titles (Icarus, Pilot Wings) went unmentioned.

While Nintendo did address most criticisms (fad, online, core gamer, 3P success) the main complaint has been the lack of games. They settled that at least for now, but I wish they took to opportunity to bury it for good.

5. Gigatron_2005

I agree. They needed to show more new stuff including those new IPs that are coming to the Wii. Although I was really happy with what they showed from Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

That Wii Board looks cool, there's a lot of potential applications there beyond its use with WiiFit.

Bundling the wheel with Mario Kart = awesome.

7. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mario + Bee Suit = Pure Awesomesauce

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I was hoping for something with a little more "wow"! But I can't complain with what I saw.

With Metroid, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Umbrella Chronicles and Soul Caliber on the way plus the fact that the system still sells out as soon as it hits the shelves, it is hard to find any negatives.

What exactly are the three new controllers?
    The Zapper, the wheel, and the pad?

9. misterd

The $100 question: What is being packaged with the Zapper? I'm praying for Duck Hunt or Hogan's Alley.

10. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Hogan's Alley would rock, but I'd put my money on Duck Hunt.

11. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I doubt I'll get any news on GGXXAC for Wii such a release date and if any on-line play.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

GGXXAC???

13. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Guilty Gear XX Accent Core; it's coming to the PS2 and Wii sometime next year I think.

14. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Any links to articles, pictures, or videos?

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    :useless 

16. Gigatron_2005

17. Soundatron

nope, comes out this fall.

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Probably Duck Hunt. Nintendo is all about capturing non-gamers, and Duck Hunt is a property that would fulfill that nicely. Case in point: Duck Hunt is the only game my dad would play with me when I was a kid. My dad is now in his late 50's. If there is anything that would inspire my dad to buy a game system for himself, it would be a trifecta of casual gaming like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Duck Hunt that make him think he's not really playing video games.

Having said that, I'm not sure how you expand Duck Hunt into a legitimate full game in 2007. What cut the mustard in 1985 doesn't anymore...you can't charge $50 for what is little more than a single glorified minigame, even if you bundle a zapper with it. But if you change it too much, it's not Duck Hunt anymore. I'm sure Nintendo can figure out some way to do it right, I'm just not sure what that way will be.

19. Soundatron

will the wii zapper work with Metroid? I'm stoked that it works for RE4 and I've been contemplating about buying it lately, I could get it at work for $26.99.

So when does Mario Galaxy come out?

20. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I doubt it would be worthwhile with metroid but I could be wrong

I'm kind of stoked that ghost squad I played that in an arcade and rather enjoyed it

Liking the zapper and is pretty much begging for a time crisis and or house of the dead game for the wii.

I didn't see too much of the thing cause I had to run out but saw the wii fit and honestly, thats a pretty cool concept. I also like the idea of the board and people are right it will bring about alot of new ideas for gaming. question is how much is the thing?