Nintendo's Customer Support

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to say, as far as video game companies go Nintendo easily has the best customer support. You don't end up waiting long time to be helped by an operator, and even higher ups will call you. However, I do have to say my experiences with them on their DS Hardware has been less than pleasant. I've had a lot of problems with my DS, ranging from shoulder buttons not functioning to the whole fucking hinge breaking on my little brothers DS after having it for less than a month. So over the course of 3 years, i've probably had 6 repairs done to those systems. I alone probably have at least 1k in software, or other expenses on their DS system.

I have 2 siblings in my household, and between us we've had a total of 5 DS systems. Me and my brother both upgraded from a DS phat to a Lite, while the youngest still has his original Red DS. I do have to say some things about their repair system though.

For starters, they will charge you WITHOUT WARNING, if their technicians deem the system as hardware damage that isn't covered under warranty. I do have to say that really pisses me off to get a surprise, when last I check something like the DS Lite's hinge crack was something they've said they'll repair. I've had to fight them tooth and nail, and yet to lose. With my most recent bout with them, I was actually ready to take my story to Kotaku, and other sites that i'm sure would have a field day with this stuff.

I had recently set up my DS Lite for repair, because it suffers from a hinge crack; which definetly wasn't my fault as I own 2 cases for the system and are EXTREMELY CAREFUL after all the bullshit i've gone through. The system also had dead pixels on the touch screen, which I absolutely can't stand! I had even put screen protectors on the system to ensure that the touch screens wouldn't get banged up. Well, when I first set up the DS Lite repair before even looking at it they were going to charge me; because I had misentered some information! Well I finally got a proper repair set up, and when I finally get it sent out, Nintendo decided to drop a fucking bombshell on me! I found out they had switched it back to the repair order where they were going to charge me 80+, for something that should have been under warranty!

I'm sure I probably have a black mark against my name when it comes with dealing with them, and i'm sure they jumped at the change to charge me! They didn't contact me, besides an e-mail that said my system was being shipped out to me. When checking that repair order # which I recognized was different than the one I actually sent them, was when I realized they were trying to charge me!

Does anyone else find this fucking ridiculous?! How is it my fault that their system has a KNOWN DEFECT, that's been in the fucking news and all over the net. At least Microsoft had the respect to extend their warranty and own up to a mistake. I just don't know how much longer i'll be deal with Nintendo, especially knowing it's probably be a short time before something else goes wrong.

I've long been a fan of Nintendo, and they are the company I trust in video games. Hell, both of my siblings even have Wiis; both of them were camped to get, because of love for Nintendo's products. NES-N64, and Gameboy-Advance era i've NEVER...EVER had problems...

2. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i've never had any problems with my DS and i just recently upgraded to a Zelda DS lite. i ain't had time to do much with the lite so i've not noticed anything. but that's rediculious that they are being pains, it's not yoru fault they are borke.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I worked as a Nintendo Customer service rep for 2 years, and I can tell you we had a lot of problems with portable systems and physical damage. First, as far as your dead pixels go, Nintendo will replace the system for you within the warranty period. Second, the majority of electronic hardware manufacturers will not cover physical damage on anything, and that's what a cracked hinge is. You have no idea the amount of testing these things go through, and I can almost guarantee that something happened out of ordinary use to cause your hinge to crack, even if it was something that happened when you weren't around.

Of course, there are exceptions, but not enough for Nintendo to change their policies. I have seen them bend over backwards for people and do things for people when my personal opinion would be to not help them. So, I really have nothing against Nintendo's service warrantys.

I also want to address what they charge for repairs. For a portable system, you either get it repaired, which takes more labor then what a new one takes to make, or you get a replacement system that was once someone elses that was repaired. You don't get all new parts, but anything that was damaged in any way is replaced, but thanks to the amount of labor for fixing the system, they have to charge you that price. They DO NOT make any profit from repairing your system and charging you.

EDIT: And what I mean by "we had a lot of problems with portable systems and physical damage" is that people, 80% of the time will not admit to breaking their system. One commone problem is getting a black blotch on the screen, which is caused by the LCD screen cracking on the inside. You can't see the crack, becuase it's not on the surface, but you see the liquid. This is another physical damage issue- there had to be an impact of some sort to crack that LCD inside, but NOBODY wants to believe that. I was good at getting people to eventually tell me the truth "My son DID drop it, but it's a childs toy, they shouldn't break like that!"

4. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Except the cracked hinge thing is such a common problem, that either there is a manufacturing flaw inherent in the systems, or it's just a poor design that's causing it. Hinges weren't cracking on the fattie DS. But somehow Nintendo decided that shrinking the system would be a good idea when it was already small enough.

Lets not forget the N64 controller, which had a control stick so poorly designed, that finding a used controller with a tight stick that doesn't wobble is fairly difficult.

5. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Do you know a lot of people with the hinge problems, or reading it on the internet? Cracked hinges are pretty common among cell phones, to. Whatever the case, I had Mom's calling me telling me that their Gamecube was busted and that it's a terrible problem that lots of people are experiencing, so she has read on the internet. The thing, people complain- I'm not going to go online and say that my DS has worked fine and didn't crack it's hinge. People that have a problem are very verbal and make the scenario sound worse then it is. The Gamecube percentage of problems was under 1%, far less then the majority of electronic devices, but I couldn't convince the certain people of that.

Now, the cracked hinge for the DS light- I have no idea the actual number of problems, I haven't worked at Nintendo for a few years now. I'm just saying to be careful about jumping to conclusions.

Also, Nintendo, even well into the Gamecubes life, offered free replacement sticks for the N64 controllers if you contacted them about it, even after warranty.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The stick on the N64 controller is fine. I've had mine since launch, and it's still as smooth and tight as ever... and that's AFTER marathon sessions of Smash Bros. and Mario Kart during college. The problem is that a lot of people abuse it, especially if they play a lot of Mario Party games.

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I never had a problem with the controller myself, besides the sore it gave me from Mario Party's "rotate the stick as fast as you can" games. But even after playing Mario party, the stick held up fine.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

The DS Lite has had those hinge crack problems ever since the thing came out: http://gonintendo.com/?p=3756

Also, my N64 stick has the wobble. I wish I knew about those replacement sticks.

9. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Huh, first I've heard of hinge crack problems & dead pixels on the touch screen for the DS (though I haven't particularly been scouring the Internet trying to find out if there's any DS problems). Mine's only about 3 months old, but I'll have to remember to be careful in that respect, sometimes I can get overboard pushing down on the touch screen when I want to do something really quickly.

10. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Big problem with the DS hinge is its design. The crack always starts on the right side, where you'll see that the panel that the hinge its self is connected to, isn't connected to anything, so it subjects the hinge to bending, which leads the harder plastic to cracking. The old DS had a totally different hinge, that was braced all the way down the back of the system.

You can fix and or prevent the hinge crack by careful placement of some epoxy adhesive to further brace the hinge. Just be mindful not to glue down the R button. I had my Lite replaced free of charge when it cracked, but the second time, I just fixed it when I saw the first signs of a crack, and have had no problems since.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    no cracked hinges here. I did just use their service though, the thing was starting to no read discs, even brand new ones, as well as the wii-fii acting up. my experience was awesome. the turn-around time was unbelievably short, and I didn't pay squat.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lolol  what?!

13. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TT, what I mean by that is that they do an amazing job despite the problems that i've had. I've had to play hard ball with them, but they do bend over backwards for people. Like when the Action Replay/Freeloader was blocked, if you complained about it they'd give you free Virtual Console points.

14. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

One of my employees had a hell of a time dealing with their customer support last week. He was trying to connect his Wii to his WiFi USB Connector and they at first didn't recognize the error code he was getting, told them they'd call him back the next day. They did call back when they said they would, but in the end, they told him that his ISP wouldn't allow him to connect to the internet with the USB Connector. Which is utter bull, because I have the same ISP and setup and it works fine for me. He wanted to speak to a higher level of support, but they wouldn't transfer him.

That, of course, is just a mild paraphrase. He was really unhappy with their support, and he's worked in that industry before, so I'd assume that he'd have a clue of how their support system works.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I will say that, when I was there, we were sorely lacking in terms of internet/connectivity/compatibilty information and help. But when i was there, we also didn't lie about it and would generally direct people to a service that could help. Also, at this time of year, they have temps that are only working from October to January, and they often times "fill in the gaps" when they think they know what they're talking about.

16. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

The thing about the USB connector is it goes THROUGH the PC. And like fingerprints, EVERYONE'S PC is different. So what might work on your set up, may not work on theirs.
    Now I don't know about their situation, but I'd say about 95% of the problems with the USB connector not working, is not the USB connector or the Nintendo system, it's some program in the PC that is not letting the connection through.
    That is why it's mainly recomended to use a Wireless router. That way you bypass the PC all together.

On the issue with the hinges, the reported cracks with the first run systems were cosmetic in effect. And they were in a TOTALLY different place than the end of the system (such as where the LED lights are, which as a side note, the hinge does not even connect there).
    Now for a hinge to break, it would have to put stress against itself. Hinges are designed to NOT put stress against itself. They are designed to open and close. That is all. Now a lot of times the system is opened up and the top screen is opened past the 180 degree mark, which puts stress on the plastic. Or the system can be dropped, stepped on, sat on, carried in a book bag, ect.
    Point is, hinges do not just spontanously break on their own. I mean in your life, how many hinges have you found that have just broke. I am willing to bet none. Because it doesn't happen.

Now that is not to say that NOA will not make exceptions, but if someone has had to send in multiple systems, all with broken hinges. It's time to start looking at who owns the system (mainly kids) and what they're doing with it.

17. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I paid $80 for a refurbished DS Lite from Nintendo after the hinge of mine cracked, a little while ago.

Works just as well as a new DS, and I saved $50. That wasn't too bad.

Haha Oh man, that one was a killer.

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    So much so that they removed those from each subsequent mario party!

19. Dr. Lucky

Dr. Lucky Well-Known Member

I recently passed along my black DS Lite when I upgraded to the gold one. Neither have had a hinge problem. (Of course, if my brand new one was cracked, I guess I would be upset.) Also, my wife's and my sister's haven't cracked either.

Honestly, I've never really had anything made by Nintendo break on me. My NES, SNES, N64 all still work. I gave away my GameCube when I got the Wii, but it worked like a champ. I think my sister still has my old school Gameboy in working order, and my GBA and GBA SP are good too (And I did drop the SP a few times.) Everything Nintendo has ever sold me has been a total trooper.

The only things I've ever had break were an N64 controller (Totally my fault, locked it in a chest for about a year and somehow managed to pinch the cord in the hinge of the chest) and a Wii-mote (I didn't do that. The motion sensitivity just never worked, but the buttons and pointer did. It probably got dropped at the store or something.) It was right after the Wii came out and there were no Wii-motes on store shelves to exchange it, so I called NOA customer service and they shipped me out a new one immediately, no cost. They were great.

20. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I've never had problems with Nintendo products, and most of the portable systems I own have all taken a trip to the ground at one point or another. I have had a GC controller die on me, but it was pretty old and well-used.