Nintendo Wii... how do I find my friend code?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kuma Style, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Hey guys, I've had a Wii for a while now (probably 6-7 months), and have only played it 4 or 5 times, but I'm thinking maybe playing it online will make it more fun.

With no Ethernet port, I'm assuming it's Wi-Fi only (which is a "bullshit" strike in my book, but whatever).

I keep seeing this stuff about Friend codes though instead of usernames like my PS3 and x360.

Is there a link or help that someone can lend on how to set up online on this thing?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

They are per game.

3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

that is the lamest thing about nintendo wifi. the friendcodes, not only do you have to have the system friendcode but the friendcode of the game your playing.

4. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    What... in the fuck?

Well, screw that.

5. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Nintendo, making online gaming difficult since 2001.

Seriously, the GameCube has to have additional parts added to it in order to play online, then the Wii is WiFi only and has the player use 2 sets of codes to play with friends. I'm starting to wonder who Nintendo's target audience is, gamers or xenophobes.

Oh well, TJ you should donate that Wii to the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, I hear they're really struggling with the economy the way it is.

6. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Yeah, as much as a Nintendo fanboy as I am, they dropped the ball here. Nintendo's so damn worried about piracy and hackers and everything else, that it negatively impacts their products and services. I hope they actually rip off Sony and Microsoft completely in this aspect when they release the Wii U. They need a huge presence online to successfully compete with their biggest competitors.

Plus, if you don't have wifi, you need to buy an actual ethernet adapter that plugs into the back of the Wii. I think you can buy one from Nintendo for like $25 (or get an unofficial one from somewhere else). Whether or not they did this to keep costs down, I can't tell you.

7. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Funny thing is the Wii is the easiest console to mod and play free games on.

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yea... it's definitely "a bit much" for me... and really seems like it takes more work making playing online more difficult than it would be to have a simple, streamlined online community with universal online-names to connect with.

Whatever though. Obviously, it's not like I play it anyways. I was just looking for something to interest me in playing it more. If Gamestop didn't give like 30 bucks for the thing I wouldn't even own it.... although the Zoolander foundation is tempting...

And, I just want it noted, that this thread was sincere, and not any kind of stealth troll on Nintendo. Had I known that connecting online was that stupid in the first place, this thread wouldn't exist. I seriously made it with the intent of setting up a friend code and exchanging it with people to play.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone who has experience taking their Wii online would think you are trolling.
    The Wii is basically online all the time, but Nintendo apparently thinks that all we want to do with it is check the weather.

I remember trying to get online with Smash Bros and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and it was actually murder trying to get connected with anyone.
    And when I did my opponent wasn't 'TJDuckett1' it was 1X3G54Z21A33Z and he and I couldn't talk to each other at all. And neither of us had any kind of consistent online presence on the Wii so there's very little incentive to try to friend anyone.

So, after all the trouble of actually connecting it was pretty much like just playing the AI anyway.

10. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    And that really sucks in terms of not really being able to meet friends and play and get better at games together.

11. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I thought i'd be able to up my smash game on wii. sadly, it was glitchy and laggy, and only had like 2 game modes. same with that alien FPS whose name I forgot.

I only keep my wii for the sonic colors, ssx blurr, local smash bros, and the gamecube games I still own. haven't even finished galaxy (which I know is a sin)... just felt like a prolonged demo with a new gimmick every world (I know, that's a sin too).