Nintendo Switch/NX Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

So... this post just shows you.. well.. know nothing.

First off it shows both physical analogs. Second it doesn't -have- to show face buttons. It's a general patent, it doesn't have to show everything.

One.. Learn how this crap works... Two, stop being as bad as the fricken 24 hour news networks.

2. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    u mad?

I don't need to know everything about a ford fiesta to know that I will not buy it for the name alone. This product is the same way, this is geared solely toward the ipad generation and is not for me.

Yes I am fox news and I am a horrible person for not liking this. SO?

3. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

In 2005, Ford releases the Ford 500, a new car model that wasn't based on any then-current model (it was actually based on the Volvo platform) and while the car received excellent reviews from anyone who actually drove one, the vehicle didn't sell very well. Two years later they changed the name plate on the car and told everyone it was a Taurus. Sales doubled.

I bet if they called this thing the Nintendo 65 it would move 4 million units in the first six months. i-Generation or no i-Generation.

4. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

No.. Not mad.. just tired of people being stupid.

You do realize the most common fricken controls for your -precious- standard controller started out as a "Gimmick" right?

You are aware that the fact the d-pad was made for a portable console and would be considered a -gimmick- because the standards for all games back then were sliders or joysticks.

The analog stick on the N64 and Rumble were *gimmicks* and now they are standard.

Motion controls were *gimmicks* and now they are standard in a lot of ways -and- used in much more than video games now.

The touch screen on the DS was a gimmick.. but because of that we have... well... as you whined the "i-generation"

Hell.. Even the Wii U gamepad became somewhat normal except other companies were going "hey! Use this on your 500 dollar tablet.. and well if you don't have the right one... sorry...* for several games.

Also.. yeah.. your fox news.. You take shit you have no effing clue how they work, and instead of learning something go spouting "FEAR! ANGER! THEY'RE COMING TO CHANGE THINGS! THE HORROR!"

5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i hope it doesn't.

i've been in denial for a while now about the Wii U. it saddens me. the industry is just f***ed up.

6. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

But... But... But... We should only stay with the same D-pad and same two buttons *after all.. More than that is just a gimmick!* and look at the pretty pretty pictures that are starting to make games require over 9 years to get developed!

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    We are all headed to wearing stupid looking VR gear on our heads anyway amirite.

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can lose the passive-aggressive attitude and put the strawman away anytime.

Touchscreen buttons are not fun to use in games. Download a gameboy emulator for a smartphone and try to play something fast-paced. You cannot feel the buttons, so you're going to miss them a lot unless you're staring at your thumbs half the time. Your thumbs also drag around on the smooth screen which slows down your movement input. I'd prefer to not look down at my controller every five seconds as well.

On top of that, it'll discourage third parties from supporting the new console since they'd have to spend extra money adapting their games to use the new gimmick in some way, on a likely less powerful console that costs more than it should for cramming in said gimmick.

The pictured controller is a gimmick because it brings nothing meaningful to the controller other than being impressive as technology. Analog sticks introduced a method of control more precise than the d-pad. This new design is closer to the Virtual Boy in that it's technology of the future implemented in a counter-productive way.

9. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Nintendo phone patent:

Patent Watch: Nintendo Gaming Phone Found!

Interchangable controls:
    News: Nintendo Patent Offers Interchangeable Controls Page 1 - Cubed3

Sony controller patent:

New Patent Points To Snap-Together Move / DualShock Hybrid Controller

Sony Wii U tablet:

New PlayStation Eyepad controller patent discovered - Gamechup | Video Game News, Reviews, Features, Guides

Give me time and I can find even more shit that is patented.

Again.. maybe some people here actually need to learn what patents are, and that they are not necessarily an indication of jack shit.

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah. Patents are more for covering your ass legally. It doesn't mean you have actual plans for it.

11. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Yes.. Now if people in this thread would understand this.. a lot of things would move smoother.

12. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

true.

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay...? I didn't question that.

14. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

This latest patent is an interesting development... If implemented well, it could be a great development. But games which choose to include this, but do so poorly, will be hurt for it. Worst case scenario - quality third party devs stay away, believing it to be a gimmick, shovelware devs flock to NX. That is one thing I preferred about Wii U - on both Wii and Wii U, the best games were generally by Nintendo, but there was a ton of shovelware to sift through on Wii.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Quoted for fact.

16. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

I just wish we could get the ultra nintendo a true next gen console not some touch screen crap.

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Are people really getting pissy over patents? Half the time companies patent stuff to make sure other companies can't use it.

18. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Regardless of the arguments, being able to configure the layout of your controller would be awesome (imagine being able to put buttons wherever you want) but I still want physical buttons. There's a fine line between a gimmick and a game-changing idea.

I just want a true next-gen console from Nintendo with some power under the hood and I want them to distance themselves from the Wii name as much as possible, considering the Wii U was hurt just by the name alone.

I'm still surprised this console's ready to be released next year and that Nintendo hopes to sell what, 12 million units?

19. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Legend of Zelda OoT and MM and WW would like to have a word with you.

20. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Basically came here to say the same