Nintendo loses patent lawsuit

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, May 19, 2008.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wow...deja vu

MS being involved but they had a out-of-court settlement....Nintendo (Sony in the other one) appealing....

but will the Nintendo outcome be the same as Sony's one...

and "remote controller with analog button" while designing the GC controller...wasn't the N64 controller a remote controller with analog button too..........sometime i dont get patents...

2. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

amazing what you can patent.......

Im gonna go ahead and patent warp drives...... just in case........ then sue starfleet later......... except theres no money in the star trek universe....

3. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

They aren't talking about the analog stick actually they're referring to the analog shoulder buttons on the gamecube controllers and the classic controllers. The buttons are so tall for a reason. They respond to varying degrees based on how deeply you press them. Not a lot of games took advantage of this. The only one I can think of was starfox adventures which allowed you to control the degree to which your ship leaned with how far you squeezed the shoulder button in the short arwing sequences. (a good idea sadly forgotten by the time Starfox Assault came out).

It seems to be the general strategy for these companies. Microsoft settles and buys them off Nintendo fights tooth and nail.

These lawsuits are starting to get on my nerves though. The US patent office really needs reform on these vague patents. How about requiring a working prototype?

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    lame. That's a lot of money.

Squatters are frustrating.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree, it's almost like any shmuck with an idea can come out and say "ooooh, you stole this from me," nowadays.

6. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

I think I'm going to patent "box with disc reader" so I can sue every video game, DVD player and CD player company maker ever.

7. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

These lawsuits are getting really annoying. If you had such a great idea why didn't you do anything with it in the first place? Worse than cybersquatting.

8. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It seems to be the general strategy for these companies. Microsoft settles and buys them off , then convinces them to go after the competition, Nintendo fights tooth and nail.

Fixed that for ya...

And if they settle with Nintendo, I wonder if Microsoft will countersue them... like they did Immersion?