Nintendo is Microsoft's 'Toughest Competition'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Primal, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Source: GameDaily BIZ

2. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

Looks like Nintendo proved the whole world Wrong

3. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

:D 

Whatever happened to the Wii60? Funny how MS was once seeing the Wii as a sidebar to the console war. Now, they put them as competition. I wonder how much truth is in this statement, because I could also see it being said just to broadside Sony with some poor PR. Will Sony now have to release a statement insisting that they are still relevant?

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think that would be a bad idea. It might make them look pathetic and desperate to gain the public's confidence, thus verifying Microsoft's claims. Trying to convince people that you are relevant never looks good, even if you actually are.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well played Microsoft.

Now, Sony's response is to do nothing.
    There is nothing worse than saying "I still matter."

Still, for all of Sony's bravado and their stance (if not outright statements) of "The HD Era begins when we arrive", they sure have entered this generation with a whimper.

Maybe if your console is bringing in the HD era, you should include HD cables in the box.

6. misterd

Exactly. That's the trap. The problem is that this can't go unanswered either. Somehow Sony has to both ignore it and address it - come at it sideways, I suppose.

7. gil

gil Godmaster

Watch Sony say Nintendo is their biggest rival and ignore the fact that the 360 exist.

8. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I agree with you guys. This has nothing to do with Nintendo. Its plainly a jab at Sony.

Despite the MAJOR problems that Sony has had with the PS3 (and the fact that the Wii is more popular then the PS3-- at the moment), the PS3 is still a viable competitor to the 360.

This is just more annoying MS FUD on the PS3. I don't know what I hate more, Sony's arrogance and hype or Microsoft FUD. Its sort of a tie at the moment.

The sweet thing I think is the fact that both companies have sort of acknowledged that the Wii is gonna be (already is?) a hit.

Gates just needs to shut up though. Gamers and the gaming press all know this is just BS FUD.

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Odds are Nintendo will win this round - it comes down to one thing.

Retail price.

10. misterd

That wouldn't work either. It'd be the corporate equivilent of "I know you are but what am I?"

11. flamepanther

Sony has done enough of the same kind of thing in the past. This is their their just deserts.

12. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

Well it's certainly humorous. It could all turn around though. Good games are drivers, and of course, 'good' is a personal taste.

The 360 has a large library, and good games in it. No doubt.
    (Halo 3 will bring a surge)

Wii has its fun factor and some good, engaging, games right now. (I own this one)
    (Personally, still needs more, good, games. Metroid & Smash Bros. will surge sales.)

Sony doesn't have a real winner. Yet.
    (With one or two killer apps, Sony could turn it around)

So that kind of defines the picture right now. Things could change still.
    I think either way the 360 will remain 1st or second this gen... they had a pretty big lead afterall.

Oh, and let's not even bring up future price cutting on the systems. That'll really mix things up. :) 

13. flamepanther

Unless Nintendo stops selling every Wii the instant it touches the store shelves, they can't surge sales. There aren't enough units to sell them faster than they already are.

Anyway, apart from that you make some great points :) 

14. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Would probably be best if Sony responded with some good games and a lower priced system, instead of just words.

15. misterd

FUD?

Honestly I don't hate the hype or the... uhm... FUD. It's part of the game, and they all play it hard. Including Nintendo. The facts are always out there for those who want to cut through the bullshit. Those who take them at face value get what they deserve.

And I agree with you on the PS3 being viable. There's still a lot of time left. MS's lead is mostly due to, well, it's 12 month lead time and Sony's inability to get consoles to the shelves. As Sony cranks out more PS3s and starts getting more "big" games - notably MGS4 and FF13- gamers will come around. The 360 may have with GoW, but that's not nearly enough to catapult it beyond the reach of its competitors. Consider what the PS2 needed to accomplish that feat in it's sophomore holiday - GTA3, GT3, FF10, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2, MGS 2, and even the first Jax and Dexter. That was a diverse line up of stellar games, all released within a 6 month window and all exclusive to the PS2 (at the time, anyway). That, more than anything, put the PS2 on top for good. So far, none of the consoles has a package good enough to put away the competition for good.

As for Gates shutting up, I don't think that's appropriate here. In fact, this statement is rather important. The media really doesn't pay close attention to games and doesn't tend to keep up with the latest trends (odds are the next news segment on violent games will mention Doom, with some old 1995 version of the game played on the screen). Playstation dominated the last 2 cycles, and seemed to dominate the news over the holidays (I saw far more press on the PS3 than the Wii, but maybe that's me). Now that the launch is over, they'll stop paying attention and probably assume that Sony is still firmly in control of the situation. Gates' announcement was a wake up call that the status quo has been truly shaken up. While things may not be as rosy (or dire, depending on your POV) as Gates makes it look, the main thing is that it will start to make people question what's going on, and shift the paradigm away from "Sony will win because it always has."

16. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I agree. It seemed for a while that every time someone from Sony would open their mouth that they would say something stupid which in turn lead to very bad press until TGS. Around this time the press was better and the Sony execs. shut up. The games have always been Sony's main draw but with more going to both X-Box 360 and PS3 and others being dropped Sony needs to act fast. MG4 and FF13 should make a big difference and really help Sony.

There are a few things to keep in mind. The 360 is not doing good in Japan but I believe it won in Europe. Japan could go to Nintendo but I don't see the PS3 too far behind, although the Wii could be just like the DS with a large lead. If game companies go to Nintendo first that is a problem but Sony would still probable get a lot. If the 360 can make good in Japan, a big IF at this point, then Sony is in trouble. Europe is a mystery to me since I don't see many reports from there but if the first X-Box won then I see the 360 as the next winner there with PS3 and Wii somewhere in the mix but I can't guess where. North America is going to be really fun to watch. X-Box 360 has a big lead with the Wii in second and selling well and the PS3 in third and easier to find, my Wal-Mart has had two 60G for three days where as they sold out the day they went on the shelves before Christmas. By no means does this spell the end for Sony or a lot of trouble for that matter, only a little so far.

Another thing to look at is the numbers of units sold. The X-Box 360 has sold 10+ million since launch (not as much as one would think with a years start in my opinion), the Wii has sold 4+ million in almost 2 months (not bad so far and this is with Wii's being basically impossible to find), and the PS3 has sold +/- 2 million (a large shortage is a part of the problem here with so many new technologies being used and apparently a lack of demand at the moment). Even with the 360's 5:1 ratio it is not that big of a problem for Sony if they can put out the good games that put them on top with the PS2. There are drawbacks though like the price, unless they drop it but that would be closely followed by a 360 price drop, and the fact that Sony's biggest seller Grand Theft Auto (at least in the US) is also being released on the 360.

At this time it is way to early to call but it looks like all three will put up one hell of a fight with many more surprise announcements this generation than we have seen in any other for a very long time. Seeing who wins and by how much will be take some time and it looks like the final hardware sales will be a lot closer this time around. In the end all three are competition for each other and that is not likely to change anytime soon.

17. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I think as far as american sales go all three companies are still "in competition" since it's too early to say much else.

The 360 has a year lead (and Halo 3 coming), the Wii is selling like crazy at the moment, and PS3 has yet to have any of it's "killer aps" come out to boost sales. So while Gates can say what he wants about Nintendo, or ignore Sony, the only thing that can be ignored for sure at this point is the 360 in Japan. The Japanese sure seem to be doing it.

18. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

^^^^^^^^OMG So ridiculously true that it's sad. I don't get why that system just does not sell. It's not like it's baaaaad..... Are they being anti-american console (versus the japanese consoles) or anti-MS? The numbers in japan for the 360 just paint a picture where somtehing is fundamentally wrong.....

Yeah you bring up a good point too. The Wii is still selling like hotcakes. I still have not seen one in a store. They don't make it to the shelves. That's awesome, and I guess I made my statement assuming that the trend will slow down.... But I wonder at how many Wiis that will be?

5 mil? 6 mil? 7 mil? They are quickly closing the gap with the 360....

And PS3s are just sitting there...

19. misterd

Yeah, I think it does essentially come down to a Sony/Japan vs MS/US thing. Japan has always been more than a little ethnocentric, and maketing missteps with XBox just made a bad situation worse. The 360 has a big hole to dig out of there, but if it does well enough in the US and EU, Japan may have to come around. We'll see.

An important point is that according to the *ahem* always reliable, always accurate, always right Wikipedia, there were over 160 million consoles sold world wide last generation, roughly broken down as follows:

PS2: 111 million
    XBox: 24 million
    GCN: 21 million
    DC: 10 million

In that context, a lead of just 5 - 8 million is far from insurmountable.

Actually, while I knew that the PS2 led by a wide margin, I wasn't aware of just HOW wide. That seems to put even greater pressure on them this time out. Even if they come out ahead (and I wouldn't bet on it), it's almost impossible to conceive of a scenario in which they will dominate to the same degree. At the very least, this will be a generation in which Sony will lose a huge chunk of it's market share. If they had managed to produce a marginally less advanced PS3 at the 360 price range, I have no doubt that their PS2 fanbase would have been ready to march behind them into the new war. It's too late now, I think - any radical reconsideration for this console, like a new design at a lower price - would take too long to implement, and take resources away from what they have (and the PR would be justplain awful).

20. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    1) Console war of this generation has just started

2) Everyone is talking shit yet no company has impressed me to the point that I'm willing to take a firm stance for any company. Yes, I bought a Wii, but that was more of a gift to my father than anything. Truth be told, I haven't touched it since November.