Nintendo insults fans over lack of memory space

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yes, Nintendo Europe, you are the kings of having your finger on the pulse, amirite?

3. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    :lol  I'm sorry, but this news article sounded so absurd it was funny.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The lack of HDD support is one of the reasons I have refused to buy a Wii. I'd be a downloading fool and my measly 512 MB would be used in no time at all.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  6. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

No, they just represent Nintendo in the world's second (third or whatever if you actually group all of North America together but really, not the point) largest videogame market.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    LOL and LOL.

I always thought there might be a Wii backlash a year or so into its life. Basically I figured so many people bought it last Christmas, and after a year they're gonna grow bored of the controller gimmick and suddenly we're gonna see a load of used Wii's hit the market.

Comments like this aren't going to help the Wii's long term chances.

Only Geeks and Otaku? Otaku is a very specific comment meant to only affect those hardcore gamers that would recognise the term. Its a pretty serious gaffe to be honest.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    You're right, Mr. Fischer. Because 512MB is SOOOOO much space.

9. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I dunno, I still have lots of space on my system, but then again, I've only gone through 3 Wii Points cards worth of downloads (3 NES, 2 Genesis, 1 SNES, 1 N64 and 1 Wiiware) and have all the channels released thusfar (excluding the Metroid Preview channel, which expired and has been deleted) as well as updates, quite a few save files and I find I still have plenty of room.

It's basically true... unless you're downloading everything, you'll be okay.

Of course, I would like downloadable content for games (Guitar Hero namely), which would definitely require more hard drive space.

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

luckily this was only nintendo of europe saying this. they're pretty low on the totem pole of nintendo authority.

11. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Aside from a few good companies like Ubisoft Europe doesn't even count to me when it comes to toys and video games.

12. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get the feeling that Nintendo Europe and Habro UK went to the same school for customer relations! ie they don't have any. Besides- the Wii has made them so much money why wouldn't they invest some into an asked for feature that will encourage people to buy more rather than another 'channel' that I can't believe anyone cares about (everybody votes, I'm looking at you)

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I can see a backlash coming too but NOT because I think the controller is a gimmick. I personally think that the problem is...

SHOVELWARE.

But yeah, this claim about the Wii's internal space is ridiculous. I mean sure, I'd probably rather play the NES-Genesis games on an emulator on my DS but that's besides the point. The Wii's measly 512MB is just holding the system back. External HDD, firmware update and maybe Rock Band on Wii might be worth something.

Such a shame. Games like Metroid Prime 3 really show that the Wii is capable of pumping out some excellent games.

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I thought they were insulting enough by putting out the Wii

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    *GASP* Hax! ;) 

Seriously though, I'm torn and conflicted about the Wii. I don't have one, and don't have much intention of getting one. The people I know who do have one very rarely play it. (When I asked a friend when was the last time he had his Wii on he said 'Yesterday! To check the downloads!' So I asked, when was the last time they played their Wii, he replied, 'Christmas')

But everytime I get hold off a Wiimote, I tend to have fun. But still on Wii Sports. Which is why I tend to find the controller gimmicky, and its this gimmick that encourages the shovelware.

I still look at Wii shelves and wonder where all the games are, yet so may people own one!

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i actually have a pretty decent library of games built up since i got my wii last april. the problem isn't a lack of games. there are lots of good wii games out there. the problem is that you have to really be in the know to know what to get. there's way too much garbage out there and that creates a perception that there is a lack of decent games. in all honesty, that 5 games per publisher per year rule from the nes days would do the wii library a world of good.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Sure there are some excellent games on the Wii, but for every one of those titles there's usually 3 more on the 360. A lot of developers aren't taking chances with the Wii because they know that they don't need to. More and more shovelware is being dumped on the Wii because the developers know that they can get away with it. If Nintendo's development team, and Retro Studios can make some excellent games why not the rest? Probably because they don't want to take the chance of having a flop after spending lots of dough on an ambitious project. It really is disheartening.

But that's not what this thread about. :p 

18. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I have four games for my Wii (one being the Sports disc that came with the system) and I don't rent 'em either, so my Wii is used for quick internet checks and Streets Of Rage on the VC. (a few other games as well) Problem is, all of it can be done with a computer. (Emulation, wireless controllers, internet, music and picture storage, etc.)

I love the gimmick, but I feel that I've wasted good money. I really do.

19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While were talking about nintendo check out the tv channel!

Japan only. No american release.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

1. Supposedly insulting fans doesn't do much more than place Nintendo's European division in the same camp as the European (as well as every other regional division) of Sony Computer Entertainment, if even that. Not what I want to see from them, but they're neither the part of Nintendo that actually makes anything, nor my local arm of the company.

2. I say "supposedly" insulting fans for two reasons. First, I have yet to see any direct quote from the alleged insult larger than the three consecutive words "geeks and otaku"--let alone anything quoted in context--on any site where I've read a report on this. That's not even enough of a sentence fragment to go on. We apply those words to ourselves all the time. Plenty of us identify ourselves by them. That someone used those words is not an insult in itself. Secondly, so far, the statement is generally true. Who is complaining about the lack of space? Us. The people who buy, or pretend that we might eventually want to buy enough stuff to fill the Wii's internal memory, and are too indignant to ever copy stuff between internal memory and SD cards or to ever re-download anything. The people who spend time on gaming blogs, or forums, or even gaming sub-forums of message boards related to other incredibly geeky topics (like TransFormers, for example). Geeks. Otaku. Every last person complaining about the comments (which we still don't know exactly what they were) or who even knows such comments were made is a geek, and possibly an otaku.

So, if the guy said something that's pretty much accurate, using nametags that many of us wear proudly in the first place, then where's the insult? The bloggers are just miffed at having their complaints dismissed.