Nintendo hit with class action lawsuit

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DevilzFan, Dec 20, 2006.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/19/nintendo-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-for-defective-wrist-str/

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Im sure I heard on the news theyre already replacing straps for those that complain of breakage. Infact, the article I heard said that they made new thicker(?) straps, that had been vigorously tested for breakage, and passed the tests.

Though they said that about the first lot.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Someone apparently lives under a rock.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

the claim by nintendo is and always was that the original straps are safe. they're making the new straps thicker and replacing them for peace of mind. the videos i've seen of straps breaking and mostly people who are using some pretty excessive force when flinging their hands around with the remote. this won't go anywhere at all.

5. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i find when using the strap people don't hold onto the remote, i usually play with the strap off cos i think it gets in the way and just hold onto the remote as tightly as i can, however when some of my friends came round the moment i put the strap on i noticed that when swinging the remote on wii sports and other games alot of them actually started releasing the remote in their hands for split seconds as if they were subconciousely relying on the strap, the moment i took the strap off they swore they weren't trying to do anything different but i could see they weren't ever releasing the remote, which i think is interesting

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

You shouldn't be allowed to sue because you are an idiot. Just hold on to the damn thing. Jeez.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nintendo should counter sue for stupidity.

8. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    they needed those thicker straps to begin with; along with small ridges, rubber ones preferably, somewhere along the sides of the remote to help grip. people losing grip on a long smooth remote they're swinging around? gee, whodathunk? a little more forethought would have avoided this entirely.

9. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Yeah, in the long run its mainly the big N's fault, yes people are to blame also but Nintendo should have foreseen such and went ahead and made em tougher and such to begin with.

10. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Please, tell me you're being sarcastic. Seriously, please.

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh cry me a river.

Just because little banshee children swing the straps around and break these TVs...or break eachothers faces....

Regardless, you can't sue big N over other people's stupidity.

And they fixed the problem with FREE thicker straps.

12. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

You need to design a system or product for the end user, obviously with all the broken straps from the Wii and destroyed TVs, Nintendo didn't do a great job. They tried to fix it by designing better straps but it is too late once the product hits the market. Maybe Nintendo decided to cut corners by using a weaker strap, thinner strap, maybe the material, whatever. Not sure, cause no one outside nintendo knows what their original product design for the strap was vs what was released to the public.

And this is a lawsuit happy society, you know they have stickers on baby strollers that say "Before folding stroller remove baby."

Honestly it was a good business idea to try to fix that problem with the free thicker straps. Why? It was cost effective. The price of some of the tvs vs the price of some straps. Kinda like "Sorry we may have caused your car to crash, here's a new $10 windsheild wiper."

13. angeltread

News Credits:
    well, since he was agreeing with me, then please tell me what in my post doesn't make sense. i like the wii; i like what nintendo is doing; i still plan on getting one. doesn't change the fact that remotes are slipping out of peoples hands.

14. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

Some call John Stossel!

15. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

Saying Nintendo is at fault for the remote slipping out of people's hands is like saying that a company who manufactures lawn darts is at fault for someone recieving a poor score because the lawn dart escapes their hand too soon.

Does it suck that your Wii remote strap just broke? Sure it does, it's brand new. Nintendo is offering a replacement.

Did you just throw the Wii remote through your television screen? Damn, that sucks for you. You're an idiot.

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I figured this would happen.
    After all didnt Nintendo get slapped with a class acation suit and lost when kids started fucking up their palms when Mario Party was released on n64? In that case the kids were totally in the wrong as your supposed to use your thumbs not your palms when controlling via the thumb stick but Nintendo still lost.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Those people need to shove the Wiimotes up their stupid asses. Bet they won't lose their grip on them then.

18. angeltread

News Credits:
    yeah, that'll solve it. anything except suggesting nintendo should have put a better grip on the things in the first place.

this place amazes me.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Those people are the same kind of people that sue McDonalds because they spilled hot coffee on their lap

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, but didn't that idiot actually win?