Nintendo hints at Game Boy's End

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Crossblades, May 12, 2006.

1. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/708/708063p1.html

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Lame. I remember when the DS was launching we were told they're already working on the next Game Boy. Bullshit. F U nintendo.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't see what the big deal is. The DS is pretty much what the Game Boy was turning into anyways. What's the need for more than one Nintendo handheld?

So they won't use the name "Game Boy" anymore. Big deal.

4. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

I always thought the DS was the next gameboy?
    oh well

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

GBA Micro was the next GameBoy. Anyway, I saw this coming after the DS did so well. It's no big deal, really.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

it's not a huge surprise really... i mean they'll have kept it going along with the ds for at least 2 years by the time they drop support if they do, which isn't bad... they kept the nes along with the snes for a while as a third pillar too due to it's success, similar to the gba and the ds, but eventually you gotta move on.

7. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I'm not surprised, nor am I disappointed. The DS is the next step in Nintendo's portable gaming market, and by all means, they should continue with it for as long as possible.

Essentially, anything you can make for Gameboy, you can make just as well for the DS.

8. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    I can't play any GB or GBC or kirby's tilt and tumble on a DS. Again, Lame.

9. flamepanther

OMG, it won't play your NES games either! How 'bout that?

And how old are most of those GB games? Eight years? Twenty? If you still need to play them, then carry a GBA Micro in your pocket.

GBA and DS games are much more portable than the old stuff, which is kinda the point. Not only do the old games take more space, but the hardware to support them would too. For those who are really hardcore about playing old GB games on new hardwre, you can always mod the system and emulate most of them.

10. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Ah, so confrontational over such a silly thing. You know what plays my NES games? My NES! And guess what! It's not a GBA! Way to allocate two completely different things together!

I enjoy the "Game Boy" line and systems because they've always been backwards compatible. The DS isn't. And my Kirby's Tilt and Tumble is a GBA game, which can't be play on a DS, and I'm not sure if the Wario Ware and I can no longer use the GBA link cables.

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    They're probably going to integrate the name with the DS anyways (Gameboy DS?).

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So why do you care that they won't make another upgraded game boy if you're only going to play ancient games on it anyway? Just keep your old one.

13. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Ancient games? What the hell? Kirby and Wario are only couple years old! And of course I'll keep m yold one. But like the GB to GBC to GBA it'd be nice if I could continue to play all my games, on the one handheld. That was a big selling point for the GBa.

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You do know the DS plays GBA games, right? I wasn't aware there were GBA games that wouldn't play on a DS.

I'm willing to bet that whatever comes after the DS will STILL play GBA games, even if it's not technically a game boy.

15. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Kirby Tilt -n- Tumble uses a motion sensitive aspect, and since the ds games plug into a diffrent side of the unit means the game works backwards (tilting forward
    rolls kirby backward etc.). It isn't that the game won't play but that the control is all wrong and cannot be corrected.

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It might be fixable if someone was brave enough to rip the cart open and reverse the gyroscope leads.

17. flamepanther

The GBA tilt games may be a couple of years old, but gimmick games like that are usually the first casualties of any system overhaul. The GBC and GB games are all pretty old. I still have all of mine, but I've long since stopped hauling them around with me. My GBA still plays all of them just fine, as does the GB player on my GameCube. Nintendo doesn't need to support them perpetually, and I'm surprised that they've been supported for this long already.

18. gil

gil Godmaster

Wouldn't that mean the Kirby game also dosn't work for the Gameboy Advance SP?

Also, the only real time the Gameboy was upgraded was from the original GB to the GB Advance. Everything else was just adding color, a light screen or reworking the "shell".

So, we have one upgraded Gameboy that played the older Gameboy games. What Grimlock's doing is automatically assumeing the "third" Gamboy would play original GB and GB Advance games. I've heard that the only reason the GBA plays GB games is because it has the GB system intigrated into the GBA along with the GBA system. If this is true, then a "third" GB would have to have all three sytems in the handheld to play everthing. More then likely it would have the new sytem along with just the GBA system, which is basically what the DS is.

19. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    I'm not automatically assuming. I'm going by the fact that all, whether they're shells or color up-grades, are backwards compatible.

I think the DS is an amazing handheld, possibly the best on the market. I was waiting to get a DS lite, but I might break before then. I'm just saying, it would be nice for the GBA to continue so I can play "all" my GB games on one handheld.

I don't understand how you can fault me for wanting that.

20. flamepanther

I don't fault you for wanting it. I don't think anyone would. I fault you for expecting it. I want Nintendo's new console to have the best graphics ever, use a stereoscopic display system, and play my entire library of console games (spanning more than ten consoles), but I don't think it's "LAME" of Nintendo not to be able to do that. They can't do it, and I wouldn't expect it. DS can't continue to support the 8-bit GameBoy games because it would hold their product back. That would hurt Nintendo, and I think we don't want that.