Nintendo DSi?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jazz4ever, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

I just found out about this, Does anyone here have one? I am considering trading in My old DS lite, Is it really that good of a system? Or is it not worth it?

2. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    If you don't mind losing the GBA slot, it does have some neat features. Although, not enough to make me want it.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Keep the DS Lite, losing the GBA feature isn't worth it.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    you just found out about the DSi?

... huh.

I have a DSi, but I kept my DS Lite when I got it. wouldnt want to get rid of my Lite, because I don't have a GBA, and need that slot.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

if you want a bigger screen (graphics are the same just to let you know), there's the DSi XL.

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

It's over a year old now. You may want to just wait for the 3DS. Also bookmark a video game news site.

Anyway, I have a DSi and I do love it. I'd been using some 3rd party devices to use my DS as an mp3 player for a while, so having it as an official function is a nice plus. The camera isn't great but it's good to have one, (and easier to get the pics off than my phone). Though the downloadable games are the best feature. Particularly Dragon's Lair and Dark Void Zero are worthwhile.

The screens are bigger than the DSlite though not as big as the DSiXL, though it has the slimmest form factor so far.

The big downside is giving up the GBA slot. I have a GBA SP sitting around, so it's not really that big of a deal. I've finished most of the GBA games I plan to play anyway, so I can just bust out the old SP if I feel like some GBA nostalgia.

It's kind of late in the game to go upgrading now, since it looks like the next one is only a year away. If you'd asked last year, I'd say it's worth it, but now you might as well ride it out.

7. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    In all honesty, I think the DSi is only worth getting if you want some of those DSiWare games on it (like Dr. Mario Express and WarioWare). Other than that, it's basically a DS without the Gameboy Advance slot, and has an SD Card slot in its place. Granted, I love the DSi that I got for my birthday, and hopefully we get Virtual Console service on it.

8. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

Well another factor is that My DS lite is pink, It was on sale that day so it seemed like a good idea at first, Needless to say I kinda want a different color now, It also has a lot scratches and stuff, I left a lot out in the first post.

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    get a gameboy micro. its so small. school hasn't been this fun. but i say save up for a 3ds the dsi cameras are crap. your phone camera is better. gba is alot better then a camera. couple of reasons guitar hero, pokemon transfer, other accessories.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm glad I have a DSi for many reasons, but one thing stands out in particular.

a sequel to the cult-classic GBC platformer, Shantae, is coming to DSiware soon.

for that, I am incredibly happy that I have a DSi. if I didnt have one, I'd be buying one right now because the original GBC game is one of my favorite games ever.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Have you played many GameBoy Advance/Game Boy Color Games ?
    There's many jewels in there.

Getting rid of the Lite would be like throwing the Nes & Super Nintendo away :( 

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Lite cant play GBC games.

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Yeah, if you have a GBA SP lying around then you're not missing a whole lot by losing the GBA slot. There are definitely some fun DSiware games, like Dark Void, Pictobits, Mighty Flip Champs, Mario vs DK... I liked all of those quite a bit. I guarantee that 90% of the people who say it's not worth the money don't have one. It's a fun system and if you're unhappy with your DS Lite it's worth checking out for sure.