Nintendo DS Lite Issues?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by My03Tundra, Sep 5, 2006.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I just pre-ordered an Onyx Black DS Lite, and it is set to be delivered next week (around September 11th). I can't wait, because my current DS isn't very ergonomically friendly for me. I ordered some of those grips for it, to help, as I plan on keeping it.

As for the Onyx Black DS Lite, has anyone imported one, or have an early release of it? Does it have the same hinge issues that the first white ones? How is it's finish?

I've done some Googling, but I'd like to hear "directly" from some DS Lite owners who may have the new, sweet, black colored one.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What were the hinge issues with the first one?

Its not like all the first run white DS Lites had problems. Its like the PSP's first run had issues with one of the buttons, only some did.

Also the main body of DS lites are basically coloured plastic, with a thin clear plastic layer on top of them, giving them their sheen. Because construction is like that there aren't any issues with finish.

3. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
  4. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

I would imagine the finish is going to be the same as the white DS Lite and the inside plastic would be the same quality. The hinge issue would be the only thing that I could think of.

Most early run DS Lites had an issue where a small crack would show up on the left hinge. It was mostly cosmetic and did not affect the system in any way.

I wish they'd do more colors...black is boring.

5. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i have a white lite... no crack on the hinge for me

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i have a white one as well. NO cracks on the hinges...look for dead pixels though...mine had one and I had to exchange it.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be getting a pink one for my girlfriend. She's "handing down" the white one to me. Not bad, eh? Our white one is perfect with no problems. I expect the Onyx to be the same way.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I think "most" may be overstating it. I heard far more complaints about the PSP buttons. On something like this even a small streak of problems can be (and should be) enough to warrant an announcement, but then people tend to assume the problem is more widespread than it really is.

As for the finish, if its the same as the Euro version, I've heard complaints about how quickly it picks up prints, ala the PSP.

9. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    OK, im pissed. I go 3 months with no issues. I look at my DS this evening and I now am the proud owner of a cracked hinge! I was so gentile with my baby! Its cool though, im trading up to a onyx one!

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I got rid of my PSP because of button issues, dead pixels (left and right) and other issues. Rumoredly, there will be a PSP 1.5 with an internal hard drive.

I doubt my black DS Lite will have any problems, but Nintedo has AWESOME customer service both online and by phone. I've contacted them both ways, and they were great. My first DS (stock silver) had a dead pixel on the lower screen, but I didn't get it fixed. It eventually died, and I replaced it with the red Mario Kart version.

As for black being boring, I wanted it instead of the iPod-ish white like I have on my iPod Nano. I do wish the DS Lite had more color choices, or more special editions, but I think it will as more are produced as the "older" style DS is discontinued. I'd like a red one, or other colors.

11. Vader

Vader Well-Known Member

I have a DS Lite and have no issue with the hinge or dead pixel. Best hand-held ever.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Still using the betabrick DS. Hoping all the flaws are fixed when I go for the trade-up.

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    When I get my DS Lite, it'll be my third DS system. I traded in my PSP for a standard silver DS, but that one had dead pixels. Since the DS was used, It would've cost me money to get it fixed. So, I bought my current Mario Kart red system. My Nintendo DS system is my favorite gaming console. I can't wait to see how they "link" it with the Wii (I HATE that name).

The Onyx Black DS Lite looks AWESOME, and if mine has problems, I'll send it in for repairs. I DOUBT that my DS Lite will have issues, since most of my Nintendo handhelds have been awesome.

I've had almost all of Nintendo's handheld systems, with the exception of the Game Boy Pocket, and that POS Virtual Boy.

14. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Got my DS Lite last weekend and the top screen has a dead pixel. It's no biggy and I don't even notice it after a while. No hinge problems yet, either.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You know, Nintendo will replace it for free just on account of that one dead pixel, if you want.

I love my Virtual Boy :( 

16. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

I've just been noticing one problem, though. my touch-screen sometimes doesn't react. Is that something I can fix by "recalibrating" the touch screen (or whatever that function is called) or is it just a defective system?