Nintendo DS and wireless routers

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by thefrozenred, May 11, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Yes, I bought a used DS, its charm finally won me over.

Moving on...I'm becoming extraordinarily frustrated trying to go online with Mario Kart DS. I've got a Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router, and when I'm right next to the router (with the closest possible interference being a cell phone a few yards away), it still can't find the connection. Google indicates that my particular router may not be playing nicely with the DS, and there's no way I'm willing to shell out $40-50 for the dongle when an inexpensive wireless router costs just as much and does so very much more.

So, which routers work well with the DS, or what can I try to do with my Netgear that'll let me go online? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) 

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Is your router set to the mixed B and G signal or only G?

3. Deszaras

Deszaras In the next episode...

the best thing to do is check www.nintendowifi.com for a list of compatible routers.

I have a DL-614+ and although it's not on the list, I was still able to get mine working..

Buzzbeak might be on the right path and it could just be a setting.

Try disabling WEP and open up the wireless (enable SSID) on B signal just to see if your DS can see it first off..

Also, you might want to play around with the basic and TX rates.

Once your DS can get a connection, start securing your wireless network step-by-step..

4. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Buzz - Mixed
    Deszaras - There's no encryption on it whatsoever, completely open, SSID broadcast is on. But, thanks for the pointers, I'll give them a shot. :) 

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I got nothin’ then. :) 

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Did you enable connection sharing? There should be a checkbox under your connection profile.

7. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Well, this is unbearably frustrating. With manual setup, I can "Test connection" and it WILL find my router. However, when I try to start a game, it says it can't find a compatible access point (Error Code 50099).

Hrm.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wonder if the Wii will work as a good wireless hotspot for the DS. Not that that's a good solution for you right now. Just thinking about it.

9. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Well, I take back what I said before; apparently, it detected the signal ONCE, and then that was it. Nothing again.

But yeah, FP, I would most definitely think that the Wii will work as a DS hotspot. It would make the most sense.

(And, if Sony was smart, they'd make sure the PS3 would work as a hotspot for the PSP as well)

10. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    You mean in my Windows connection profile..? Or in the router? Because I'm not seeing that option in my particular router.

I've got another 8 days before I can't return the router anymore. If anyone's got any suggestions for another good, inexpensive router that supports the DS, PLEASE let me know.

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Not if you spend your good money on only the $500 version. :ev: 

Anyway, I sometimes tend to get those problems on my router with the DS. What has worked every time for me is going into the router and then turning WEP off, then turning WEP on, then turning WEP off agian. For some strange reason, it likes to work after that. Maybe its just an issue with my router, but I thought I'd pass the info along anyway. Good luck!

12. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

under windows connection profile. If you aren't sharing your connection it won't even try.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Why would settings in his computer affect his ability to connect his DS with the router?

It shouldn't matter if the computer is even on.

14. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Update:

Went to my best friend's house today, and I tried the DS on her Linksys router (can't remember the name at the moment...it's got one antenna and isn't designed for home networking). Sure enough, the DS connected just fine.

So, I can buy the Linksys portable router (which costs around $60, and SHOULD do the same job just fine), or I can stick with my current router and not do online play.

Decisions.. :-/

15. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

Yeah, I have a Linksys WRT54G router that works flawlessly with the DS.

Unfortunately, it also has issues from time to time with XBOX Live connections. Not connecting, but in playing certain games online.

So I have to find one that will fix that XBOX problem but not compromise my DS...grr...

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    This one appears to be in the same family:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4351135?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

AND it's at the right price. :) 

However, your problems with XBOXLive concern me, as my Netgear works PERFECTLY with my PS2, and I do not want to sacrifice my Metal Gear Online for DS WiFi.

17. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    My Linksys also works bangarang with my DS. If you are going to pay $60 for a router when you already have one, why don't you just pay $40 for a dongle that is guarateed to work?

18. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Because then I'm paying $100 for full wireless access, and I would MUCH rather pay $60 for a router that will do that.

19. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

Well, it does work; in fact, my Live usually works really, really well and I get very fast downloads and no lag.

It just seems to have compatibility issues with some of my friends at times. When jumping into random games I've had no problems. Every once and awhile I seem to have issues trying to set up private games with friends...and even then its only one or two. Like their router and mine dont get along.

20. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Oh, okay, I fully understand what you mean. Metal Gear Online says I cannot create my own match with the current network settings, and on my computer, I'm unable to Direct Connect with AIM (at least until I tweak the router).

In any case, good to know, thanks!