Nintendo creating new HD Console

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Matrixbeast, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Its Nintendo so I guess I want it automatically. :p 

I am not too worried about another Wii type situation where there is a lack of great games that gamers want to play. I think Nintendo has realized that their Wii fad has died down, and that they need to focus more on people who play games. In a lot of ways, the 3DS seemed to send this message loud and clear. While not having cutting edge iphone/ngp/psp2 graphics, it can put out respectable looking games. The menu design and its feature list (like multitasking, web browsing, and a friends list, and smooth online multiplayer) are much more "hardcore" feeling than we have seen from Nintendo in years.

I've recently thought it would be a smart move for Nintendo to launch a new console soon. They can attack the hardcore market, and have the first next-gen console out for a few years before their competition should release theirs. As it stands right now, video quality even in PC games are not really that far ahead of what current gen consoles can deliver. Games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 exist on both the PC and console, but even though the PC games look better, they just dont look (Insert the price of a new console, maybe $400?) much better than their console counterparts. If Nintendo can deliver a console that looks just noticeably better than the current gen, I think they can recapture the "hardcore" crowd while Sony and Microsoft race to a console that will truly look "next gen" compared to the 360 and PS3.

Should be interesting. Cant wait for more info!

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Eeeeh, not sure.

I payed my GC the least, out of my Xbox, PS2 and that ilk. I never even had an N64, or SNES. My Wii hardly ever gets touched. (Well, my 'wii' does, but thats a realllly old joke...)

I only have loyalty to my Nintendo handhelds, from GBC, GBA (with upgrade, so no need for a SP), DSL to 3DS, and thats because of all the games for the handhelds I have. Backward compatibility FTW.

I dunno, next generation I'm probably plopping for Xbox again... and surely the new gen must be soon. I view the Kinect and PSMove like MegaCD and 32X, hardware additions on a platforms twilight years.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nintendo lost me as a longtime fan since the Wii. Hopefully this console will bring me back in.

DON'T FAIL ME NOW NINTENDO

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I am fine with my Wii's well 2 of them cause I got another 1 for christmas (red Wii) but I think the existing Wii's they should have some kind of pack video adapter that MAKES it HD for those that DON'T want to buy the new console. That way people could chose which 1 they want to buy the older 1 with a add-on pack to make it HD video or the new 1 with HD built into so just look at the Wii motion PLUS as it was a add-on piece and then they built it into the red Wii that came out with new mario bro's.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Consoles don't really work like that, though.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i like my wii, but i never had a cube and its been fun catching up on shit i missed. hmmm, maybe i should have just bought a cube. much cheaper

7. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a Cube. Some great games on it. I kinda want to get it out of storage and play through The Wind Waker again.

Never got a Wii. It never appealed to me personally and the next console will have to be spectacular to hold my attention.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did that recently. Such a mixture of relaxing and awesomeness rolled into one.

9. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

Ugh, I've really been meaning to play Twilight Princess again on my GC, and now that everyone is talking about The Wind Waker I feel like I should play that too. Soooooo much sailing though....

10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So the game cube gets a 3rd incarnation? HD this time haha

Nintendo's problem wasn't with third parties it was with disguising the game cube and calling it a wii when the other consoles actually pushed their capabilities forward.

I'll give wii credit for making people move. I like the sports oriented games but nintendo hasn't been nintendo since the snes. A smart move for them is just to stick to handhelds, it's what they excel above others at.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I'm in the minority for this, but I actually loved the sailing.

12. Trenner Dios

Nothing wrong with that. I might've liked it if it wasn't for all those damn treasure maps and heart pieces you have to fish for. It was just a little much for me.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I did that years ago, my ex girlfriend was on the gameboy helping me navigate. It had that co-op element, so maybe that's why it wasn't as dull for me :) 

14. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Didn't I hear somewhere that Nintendo wouldn't make a new console unless they sold a certain number of Wiis?

15. Trenner Dios

Ah I see. I never got to take advantage of that fun connectivity.

Really? You'd think they would've hit that number by now if it was reasonable...

16. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked treasure hunting with those charts, only thing I hated was hunting the triforce shards. Curse you Tingle!

17. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read that apparently the controllers will have screens on them. Taken with a hill of salt, but the concept doesn't really seem out there for Nintendo. This thing had better be worth it though, I just dropped 250 bucks on the 3ds. That of course was worth my money due to the 3d, streetpass, etc, however there isn't really much revolutionary stuff Nintendo can still do witha home console.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If there is a Zelda game on it, I'm buying. That's just simply my weakness. But this time I probably won't buy until the game is close to releasing.

19. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Uh, how many time will the "Wii 2" be "confirmed" by these "reliable sources"?

20. Trenner Dios

Oh God, I forgot that you had to fish out the Triforce pieces as well! Soooooooooo much sailing....