Nintendo announces the DS' successor!! The Nintendo... 3DS!?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by cheetorBWORG, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

That is the scuttlebutt.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twilight Princess graphics + Porable + 3D = me pioneering this untested land without a condom. Soon as the skew is available I'm preordering.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I stand corrected.

4. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. While I very much enjoyed Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, I do feel that the stylus controls detracted from the game more than they added. Pressing buttons is fun, stabbing at the screen repeatedly with a stylus isn't. It saddens me that the gimmickry has to be shoehorned into a game series that has no need for it. It especially saddens me to hear that the upcoming Wii Zelda game will require Motion-Plus for the controls. I honestly can't look forward to flailing around the Wiimote to swing Link's sword.

5. ROTF100694

ROTF100694 Well-Known Member

True dat!

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not going to lie... I don't give a s**t. nintendo is just jumping on a band wagon that no one will give a sh*t about in 5 years

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    How?

3D TVs are the future. like it or not, they are. every electronics company is shifting in that direction.

to bring the tech to a handheld device is extremely forward-thinking.

Nintendo was stupid before and decided to pass on HD for this generation. They need to get cutting edge again, and this is it.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not to mention thats exactly the sort of thing that the luddites were saying about dual and touchscreens about 100 million sales ago.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After seeing it in action this weekend (the games, not so much the movies), I could not agree more.

10. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I certainly like the discussion that's going on here, but I have a problem that's itching me...

ZELDA FANS WHO HAVE NOT PLAYED PHANTOM HOURGLASS OR SPIRIT TRACKS.

Like... really? Just RENT the game and try it out, either of them. A different tune will be on the way soon after that.

... I still need to play Spirit Tracks... >.>

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't rent Phantom Hourglass. I bought it. I tried, like you wouldn't believe. I played it for 2 days and I just can't stand controlling Link with a pen. My hand was over him sometimes and sometimes I'd roll off a cliff. I appreciate innovation on some things, but this neither made it any more effecting in the gameplay department, nor fun in the entertainment department. Zelda was fine before this. Until Link controls with a digital pad or analog stick again on a handheld, Zelda will need someone else so save her.

12. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Not exactly sure who this is directed towards. Either way, for the record, I have played (and own) Phantom Hourglass. That's how I arrived at my opinion regarding the lackluster stylus controls. I do in fact plan on playing Spirit Tracks as well at some point. Still the control set up in the DS Zeldas is not my preferred method of playing such games and I would have loved it if Nintendo had built in a D-Pad/Button set up (like AC:WW) as another control option.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    /\ This. I also bought Phantom Hourglass, and I HATED the controls - simply awful. Ruined the enjoyment I would have gotten out of what was otherwise a good game shackled with a pointless gimmick.

I wouldn't touch Spirit Tracks with a shitty stick.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah and I am in no way denying that both of those games are excellent, because what I did play was flippin amazing, but simply put, the controls killed it for me.

15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    This is fascinating. Will be interested in seeing the final product.

16. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I think I should update the first post with THAT video... Hmmmm..

17. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Right. The whole "3D Handheld" bandwagon that's been going on for years, now. :/

I'll admit, I love both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks- I think they are perfect examples of how the touch screen can be used- autotarget enemies by tapping, precise control (More Spirit Tracks than Phantom Hourglass), drawing as a vehicle of gameplay, puzzles, and interactive weapons... that was really all I wanted from a DS game- and it was a great experience. I can see others being upset with the control style, but to me it took Zelda in a new, immersed direction that I really enjoyed. I can't wait to see the innovation we'll get with this new handheld, even if its only games from Nintendo.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I loved phantom hourglass, was loving spirit tracks too. it really refined that system and was just a joy to play.

and then I got bored.

and I havent touched it in over a month.
    I don't know if that's because of the game, I havent been in much of a game mood lately. havent even finished the second case in Ace Attourney Investigations, and I got that on release date. its the first game in the series that I didnt finish within 3 days of buying it.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lemme ask you. Do you feel to got bored because there was nothing new being thrown at you?

I noticed that the dungeons in Phantom looked like glorified Mazes, and the reason for this was because you had to be able to see and touch Link everywhere you were, do dungeons couldn't really have any depth and extra design like on Link's Awakening and Minish Cap.

edit: 3DS is supposed to have a joystick. Nice

http://kotaku.com/5500166/report-nintendo-3ds-also-has-3d-joystick-force-feedback--more

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  20. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I got bored with the two Zelda DS titles as well, and it's precisely because of the touch-screen system of targeting enemies. Touching your enemy with the stylus and having your weapon make a direct hit almost every time isn't very challenging and that sort of takes the fun out of it. I like having to actually aim my weapon and suffer the consequences of missing. I don't mean to knock the DS Zeldas too much because I did really enjoy them...but it was more akin to the enjoyment of watching a cartoon than the enjoyment and satisfaction of playing a game. When I finished with both of them I had no sense of accomplishment. Even the puzzles were a cakewalk. I miss being able to immerse myself in a Zelda game and get lost, frustrated and rewarded for at least a month. Each of these was a 3-4 day affair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.