Nintendo 3DS. What's old is NEW again!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NGW, Sep 29, 2010.

1. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

You got two?

Those are damn nice!

Ocarina of time on the SuFami? Hahaha

2. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    3. I also have the Nintendo 3DS xl ZELDA albw special edition

• Like Like x 1
  3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I absolutely love my New Nintendo 3DS XL SNES Edition.

When the New Nintendo 3DS was announced, I pre-ordered the small, white version from Australia, because they got it months before Europe and I wanted to have the one, that has the buttons designed like the SNES. Before that I had the golden 3DS XL that originally came with Zelda - A Link Between Worlds. Of course the new device had a smaller screen, but the XL version of the New 3DS has only the letters on the buttons colored, so I prefered the smaller device. The screen was much better, so that was no big deal at first. But the New 3DS XL is smaller than the old 3DS XL and also has a bigger screen, now having it with the actual color layout of the SNES is sooo pleasing! And the exterior with the SNES design printed on is really nice. I'm so glad I pre-ordered it.

But now I'm stuck with 3 3DS devices. I thought my brother might want to buy my New 3DS. I lent him my golden Zelda 3DS, which I intent to keep, because it's Zelda. But he's fine with playing the one I lent him... Argh :( 

So and Metroid on 3DS? The more I played it, the more I recognized, that the levels are more or less the same like on Gameboy, it's just styled differently and 2.5D. I remember where all the stuff is and where the Metroids are. Really cool, but it's still like a new game. But now having a map makes it a bit too easy. It's cool you can set markers for everything and check the map where you haven't been already. But having to memorize the maps was cooler. But hey, I still remember the maps anyway from 25 years ago. So... who cares :D  Also the remade music is nice =)

But I really enjoy reliving this game =)

I would love a remake like this of Super Metroid :D 

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

I recently got back into DS gaming. I picked up Metroid but haven't even looked at it yet. Finally getting around to playing Dragon Quest VIII is keeping me busy enough. Kinda worried since I see a lot of people saying the bosses are tough in Metroid. I made it through Zero Mission but hit a wall in Fusion. Hopefully the new counter move will make the bosse feel less cheap. Either way, anything's better than the N64 version. :) 

5. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    DQIX is one of my all-time favorites, so I might have to go back and fill up my DS Dragon Quest remake collection. They released them all too quickly in my opinion.

6. openchallenge

Ok, I'll look into IX when I get through this one. What do you feel was lost in the quick releases? From what I've heard VIII has added stuff that wasn't on previous versions. Or do you feel like some of the older games could have been updated more?

7. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

This is just my personal speculation but I think the issue is that since the original PS2 release of DQVIII used cel shading, it has actually aged very, very well. As a result the changes between the PS2 original and the 3DS remake don't feel as significantly improved when compared to the IV, V, and VI remakes on DS and the VII remake on 3DS. I could be wrong though.

8. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

IX is Awesome!

9. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I just meant that they released them with so little time in between (IV in September 2008, V in February 2009, IX in July 2009, VI in February 2011, then VII in September 2016 and VIII in 2017) that I could never find time to sink my teeth into them. You can sink 200 hours into 9 alone (I have 300 or so between two cartridges), and then just as I get into the series there's two more?

10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Though for someone who is used to the other entries in the series (this was my first, and so far only aside from heroes and Joker 2) it may be a bit jarring to play a silent protagonist. It was basically an only child's dream rpg, an MMO hybrid you could play by yourself or with friends, pioneering a lot of the technology built into the 3DS years later.

11. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I don't remember the first three or monsters having a talkative protag.

12. openchallenge

I had heard negative stuff about IX's characters being custom but I don't think I care about that. In VIII I called my character DQ and NPCs say "Oh, it's you" that's good enough for me. :) 

I doubt if I would bother playing online thought if it holds up playing on your own then I'll be interested in IX.

I'm 40 hrs into VIII. I'm on the western continent running errands on a saber cat.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

IX doesn't really have any online playing that I remember. Just a few DL extra quests, that isn't easily available anymore sadly.

14. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was more of an MMLC, massively multiplayer local co-op. But because it had Street Pass.

15. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Lady Layton worth it? Also, need recommendations on other Layton games.

16. openchallenge

Network specifics aside, I'm not interested in multiplayer. Could be a sticking point for me but no worries I'll look into it more and decide from there.

17. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    It's absolutely not necessary. I never knew anyone with the game anyway. You just have to manage four characters' levels instead of just yours, but that's typical of jrpgs anyway.

But yeah, get to it on your own time, like I plan on getting to the DS remakes in mine. Unless XI comes stateside, because I'm there day one when that happens.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

XI is coming stateside.

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    New docking station arrived :) 

IMG_20171024_125226.jpg IMG_20171024_125632.jpg

20. gil

gil Godmaster

Is it possible to purchase a digital game now and download it later?

I want to get Bravely Default and the Zelda Season games, but all I have is the stock 2G memory stick. I’m getting a 32G Stick but it probably won’t be delivered before the sale ends.