Ninja Assassin

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DeathStorm, Nov 25, 2009.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Planning on seeing it this weekend. The previews look like a lot of bad computer animation and slow motion (since it's the same guys who did The Martix, this isn't surprising), but I'm not letting it discourage me.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    it looks like a fun movie

3. Keroshino

Keroshino OOGA, OOGA, OOGA-CHAKA!!!

News Credits:
    it's gonna be Epic!!! :D 

4. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Reviews are all over the place for this movie. I hope the positive ones are right...

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Drink lots of booze beforehand and it will exceed expectations.

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
  7. bad karma 99

bad karma 99 Imaginationist.

I was expecting something epic ...... I should've known better, but at least there was a real ninja in it ( Sho Kosugi ).

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Works with any movie.

9. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

Damn Hollywood to death for stupid shaky camera during action scenes. It's almost like they shook it on purpose at times to hide things they didn't want you to see. I liked much of the fight choreography but there was just a bit too much CGI for my taste in a martial arts action movie.

Story and acting was horrendous...but let's face it, that's not what you are going to watch this movie for anyway, so that's excusable IMO. Was kinda like seeing Ninja Gaiden gameplay on the big screen in some scenes...which is not a bad thing. The whole "Best Ninja Movie ever" claim is highly subjective, and the bar was never really raised very high to begin with, however, I still don't think Ninja Assassin was better than this ninja movie:

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't find one with subtitles, but trust me this movie was better in all categories except gore. Both Ninja Assassin and Shinobi are very exaggerated depictions of these historical warriors, but definitely worth seeing if you're a fan. I had fun.

10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Eh...I liked Ninja Assassin better than Shinobi, the only thing I liked from Shinobi was the ending credits with "Heaven" by Ayumi Hamasaki.
    ......but..but... "it has a special heart"!!!! [/sarcasm]

Visuals were awesome but everything else, eh no.

Definitely agree that the bar wasn't raised that high and that Ninja Assassin isn't the best movie ever made. Hell there was an early 80's movie with Sho Kosugi as a ninja who seeks revenge(yep) for the death of his family which is much better.

11. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Sephiroth!?!?!?!

12. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I enjoyed it but there was a lot of blood. Does anyone remember if there was this much in any of the freddy, chainsaw, or jason series? :lol 

I thought it was hilarious bringing back Morton's lines from RoboCop.

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    This movie kicked ass:D 

I was not expecting a solid story but it did a decent job and most of the actors did alright.

The fighting was :bay 

And the effects were rather good for a low budget film.

nothing beats Kung Fu though.:lol 

14. Molini

Playing it right now, thank you very much. What made Shinobi better for me was that the movie at least made use of historical references such as the Iga and Kouga clans,Tokugawa Ieyasu and Hattori Hanzo, the latter of which was actually said to have sworn allegiance to Tokugawa Ieyasu durng the Eiroku era (1558-69). That and it at least depicted the ninja clans as something both cool and superhuman, but with actual human values for their clans. I guess it helped that it was based off a novel.

Ninja Assasin was mindless action with no need to substantiate anything that happened because...see your quote below :) 

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?! That's all I have to say, lol.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  15. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed the movie a fair bit. Yeah, the CGI wasn't the best, yeah, the story was kind of weak, yeah, the acting was anything astounding, but for what it was, it was a decent movie. Rain was actually much more impressive than I thought he would be. I'll probably watch it again when it hits DVD.

16. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

My thoughts from the other thread:

Ninja Assassin - 4/10

This movie bored me a great deal.

That's pretty disappointing, especially after I keep hearing about how cool it was. The story was pretty non-existant, and what was there was awful. The entire police/researcher aspect of the movie was horrible and just completely uninteresting. The acting was pretty atrocious as well, from pretty much everyone.

The action was ok at times, but fairly repetetive, and the last battle was extremely stupid. There's only so many times you can see a bunch of throwing stars fly by and a bunch of blood in bad CGI before it gets really old. There's lots of blood, but it's totally fake, either by being poorly done CGI or having the consistancy of water. It was not over the top action/blood in the Kill Bill sense, it was just over the top bad.

This really is a movie that should have been straight to DVD. That's the level of filmmaking involved here.

17. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was let down by it. Not a bad movie, per se, but not what I was expecting. With most of the fights being horribly filmed and in the dark you couldn't see anything. The flashbacks to the training were overdone (one longer one would have been better) and it seemed like training scenes in his apartment were just done for the sake of injecting some action into the boring police story.

The self-healing by throwing up gang signs was cheesy as well as the fact that other characters were killed by the same wounds that the main character received, yet he survived them all. Hokey, boring, poorly filmed, and slow. If it weren't for the cool fighting styles it would have been a total loss. I also wish there were more weapons involved. Swords, stars, and a knife on a chain are all cool - but hardly the entire arsenal of weaponry.

18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I've read the manga, and saw the movie, but never read the novel or watched the anime(Basilisk). The Basilisk clips look AWESOME so I'm hoping the anime is actually good, my friends said it kicked ass. I was let down by both the manga and the movie. The historical references are cool, it's a shame we don't really see Hattori Hanzo take part in it though.
    Those weren't gang signs, those were ketsu-in. Van Damme utilized ketsu-in during some scenes in Bloodsport.

19. Molini

LMAO. While I completely agree with you Shin...even you have to appreciate the satire with this one!

Ninjas- the original gangbangers and set trippers; What Clan you from foo?

Ketsu-in wasn't and isn't exclusive to the Ninja though, however, they definitely took it further than most in terms of refinement. The majority of those originate from Hindu Mudra's that also evolved into the Ketsu-in of Japanese Mikkyo Buddhism as part of the Sanmitsu (Three Secrets) that are believed to awaken one to a sense of enlightenment. There are nine primary symbols that represent the 9 levels of power (look em up if any of you are interested, I won't take the time to go into detail on em, I've done my own research and it's too damn extensive for message board text or my patience, lol).

Kuji-in is one of the methods of unlocking what many practicioners believe to be the "mystic" potential of the symbols and there are actually said to be about 81 different finger entwinements although the actual art of most focusing techniques are generally limited to the core 9 signs.

Aparently, the Bloods and Crips caught on yrs later and when they throw up their Ketsu-in, can tap into the power of 2pac lyrics and hood movies before busting a cap in yo ass!

FOO!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  20. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    And, once again, Molini gets my sarcasm. Thanks for clarifying it better than I could have. I'd just make the whole joke non-funny.