Nightwing Annual #2

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switch625, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I didn't see a thread on this, but did anyone else pick this up? It came out last week but I only got it today.

I thought it was a wonderful issue. The writing was really well done and the art was beautiful. I prefer Barbara as Oracle but Bennett's art really made me want to see her as Batgirl again.

I had no idea there was ever a romantic history between Dick and Barbara. I came from the Dick and Kory camp from back in their days with the Titans. I always wished they'd get back together but this issue changed that.

I don't know if anybody else read this book, but if you haven't, I highly recommend it.

2. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Robin: "Thinkcleanthoughsthinkcleanthoughtsthinkcleanthoughts"

Later

Batman: "You okay there, buddy?"

3. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Yeah, this was a great issue. I'm not even really a fan of Nightwing and Barbara, but I loved the story. Great art also. Well worth the purchase.

4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

The best Nightwing book I had read in a long time.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I don't read much DC very often anymore. But I really enjoyed this one. Maybe there's hope for the DC universe yet.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If you want to see more on the Batgirl/Nightwing relationships, read old issues of Nightwing and Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixion, man I hated when he left the books

7. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I liked the issue but Dick really had some um...dick moments like doing it with Barbra only to hand her an invitation to his wedding, that was kind of cold. Even for the way Dick is written sometimes (by that I mean not really aware what's going on sometimes)

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely a good book, but I still don't really buy the whole Dick/Barbara relationship. I know it makes sense, conceptually, but in practice it just doesn't work for me. Dick and Kory work far better as a couple, as far as I'm concerned.

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Wasn't this issue supposed to explain why they didn't get married and the whole OYL thing? Spoilers please.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Basically, Barbara said no to Dick's proposal because he was about to rush off into the Infinite Crisis battle in Metropolis and she thought he was doing it because he thought he might not come back. So after he gets severely injured and she helps him through his rehab, they do a little reminiscing about their history together. They eventually get started to talk about said proposal, when Batman interrupts with his invitation to Dick to join him and Tim on their spiritual retreat. He says he doesn't know if he can go, but Batman says he cleared it with Barbara first. Barbara insists that he go because it will help him find himself and that's something he'll have to do if they're going to have any kind of future together. So he writes her a "see you soon" letter where he basically tells her they're soul mates and he includes in the envelope a picture of them together as Batgirl and Robin as well as the engagement ring on a chain for her to wear. The letter says something like "we'll continue this when I get back" and she responds with something like "I'm going to hold you to that," as she puts on the necklace.

I haven't read any Nightwing OYL so I have no idea what happens next or if they've even mentioned this again. I think that now that this issue has come out, it will be dealt with sometime this year.

Anyway, this is just a super condensed summary and I left a lot of stuff out. I would recommend purchasing this issue to get the full story.