Minor/Repaint: Nightwatch Prime (slight repaint)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Death333, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I hate Allspark blue. Yup, That's how I'm starting this out. I was stoked when pics first surfaced of NWP here. That is, until we got pics of the one we were to get here in America. :( . Now I actually don't hate Allspark Blue.....just the arse behind the scenes who decided that using so much of it on this figure was a good idea. There's nothing ninja-like about easter egg neon blue.

Now relive my horror:

UK/Japanese NW Prime
    [​IMG]
    (Standard Stock photo)

US NW Prime
    [​IMG]
    (pic taken from TFans gallery)

MINE!!!!
    MINE-MINE-MINE!
    [​IMG]
    (Sans flash)

[​IMG]
    (Flash)

I didn't have it out of the package for more than a mintue before pulling out the brush and screw driver :D 

I made one coat of silver and two progessive coats of flat black (To achieve texture) on the forearms, hips, shoulders and head. I also applied silver on the lower abdomin and middle chest. I left the middle of the chest Allspark blue because it's a color that looks good in moderation and I felt the silver that I applied broke it up and set it in enough that it looks good. It's kind of matrixy IMO. I also left an outline of allspark blue on the outer edges of the shoulders and hips for a sort of glow effect. Lastly, I've swapped the elbows and I'm removing the pegs on the back of the calfs just as I did with the regular version to improve the knee articulation by aprox 1/2 inch.

I feel better now.

Attached Files:

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What did you mean by "Ive swapped the elbows" What is this kitbash? Swapped elbows with what TF?

Thanks! Nice! I have the Takara version of Night Watch OP and I'm happy with it.

3. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Just about every US Prime has the left and right upper arms installed incorrectly. He just switched them around so that the round bit faces outward and the screw holes facing inward.

4. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kouri, Thanks! I never did realize that until now... just checked my LC prime elbows and yes it was misassembled too!

5. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    this is what I was going to do to mine, glad you did itfirst because I now iknow it wont mess it up and make it uglier. Good job.

6. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    an I'm glad you noticed the "misassembly" issue with the Leader Prime. I said something about it and everyone acted like I was crazy. lol

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Looks great, man! That sucker looked like a robotic smurf before you toned it down. Keep up the good work!

8. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Excellent touch up. For me, I kinda added metal chrome on it and detailed up the wires and the robotic innards, and some dry brushing to give it the weathered look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. charlieBROWN

charlieBROWN Member

both are awesome!

10. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Friggin sweet! Does swapping the elbows really make that much difference though? Im tempted to do it to mine but i like keeping things as original as possible, even if they are mis-engineered.

11. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    No difference whatsoever. o.o It's really just a cosmetic fix.

12. Death333

News Credits:
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, Kouri is right.

13. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Ahh ok, i wont bother then.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    but rather than screws showing on the elbows. you have the circular design which is supposed to be there. Lemme ask encline to post his tutorial and pics about this one.

15. Death333

News Credits:
    The elbow swap is really easy.

First, remove the two screws on the back of each shoulder. remove the off center one first and then the one in the middle. Be careful as they are spring loaded and there are two black rings, one notched and one that is not. Take note after pulling the cover off of where the parts go.

Second, do the same for the forearms. There are three screws here. Remove the one on the hand, and the one on the opposite end first leaving the one in the middle for last. The part containment is the same (one spring, one notched ring and another un-notched ring. Swap the elbows between the arms (left goes to right and roght goes to left.

Reassemble in reverse order taking care to place the notched rings in the propper slots.

16. Protoform X

Protoform X Predicon Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

cool

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    thanks to encline...here's the correct(left) and incorrect(right) assembly (with cool airbrush topping)
    if you're gonna put hours of work into this custom, it's worth the 1/2 hour of swapping arms.

[​IMG]

18. Death333

News Credits:
    Agreed. Hell, even if you only going to put a few minutes in customizing it's worth it. Those decorative circles make all the difference.