Nightmarish baby-sitters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hound_Dawg, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

Is it legal to beat babysitters?

I kid ofcourse, or do I?

*Background information* My wife and I are a 2 income house, we moved to texas because of a job I had gotten. We were originally living in Idaho. It has been difficult to sustain a baby sitter since moving here, becuase I work and my wife works. Well she won't be much longer, as she is in the last 2 months of pregnancy, and I wanted to look for a job that paid more, then what I was making to make up the loss of money, from here leaving. I actually don't mind this.

She put in her two weeks notice, I was actually all set to leave my first job and start a new one. but my current employeer made me an offer that I really could not refuse. (queue Godfather). Given that my schedual would actually support this I am working both jobs while my wife complete her 2 week notice.

*reason for thread* So we have been using every resource for a baby sitter we can find for our children, we have absolutely no family here so, for the most part I have relied on a fried I used to work with, and is in school full time to watch our kids. But with my schedule turning into an 80 hour work week, We needed more hours then our current babysitter could provide. So my wife found this 13 year old. To watch the kids for the remainder of her 2 week notice, and I actually thought it was working out well. I explained that the office is only permitable if the kids are naping, she can use the internet, but my collection is in that room, and the kids are not allowed to be in there, plus I have some replica swords and real swords on display, I don't want my kids to get hurt. I think I explained it rather clear and did not think twice about it.

Durring the hard part of my week, I get up at 5 to be at work by 7 am till 4, and have a half hour to be at my next job at 4:30, work till 12:30, home by 1 or 1:20, get to sleep by 2:30 and go agian, for 4 days of the week. I woke up earlier this week to get ready for work and found one of my transformers on the floor in the living room. Missed it coming in the house. Picked it up, went into the office. I figure the 13 year old left the office door open and one of my boys got the toy. I forget to shut the door sometimes, it happens. But I started to look around the living room and in the office. Shelves of my transformers, starwars figs, ships and what not, and World of warcraft figs were in the toy box, broken, missing pieces and etc. I blew up, work my wife up and told her what I found. This all happened on the 13 year olds watch, we even started to find figures, I had boxed away in our bedroom closet out. Which means the kids got into our bedroom. My wife and I are really strict about the kids being in there, I have lost all my recent Animated figures due to breakage beyond repair, or loss of accessories, 2 rogue figures from WoW, several Jedi figs, jedi Star fighters and that is just the icing on the cake. I am supposed to pay this girl on saturday, but looking at the damage, I realistically lost about 4 or 5 hundred dollars on transformers mostly, that I can not replace as easily. This includes RiD, Gen 1 stuff and Armada/Cybertron figures. I have really been debating even giving her money at this point due to sheer principle of the loss sustained.

I am going to speak with the parents of this girl on saturday, and explain why I am so upset, I know that they won't replace the loss, and may even defend their childs actions. That is fine, parents do that. I know it would be difficult if the tables were reversed I would offer to pay something to help replace stuff, though. But what do you guys think, given I know the condition of my stuff before going to work one day, and the next being ruined on this girls watch, should I really pay her anything?

Advice would be great, If any parents have simular experiences please share. Or if you were a babysitter for hellish kids, let it out.

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

When I was eight my babysitter went to have sex with her boyfriend in his car in the front of the house. I saw it and told my parents the next day. I can only assume many lulz ensued.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    To the OP- Yeah, it's her fault, but not entirely her fault. Your kids actually did the damage. That, at least in my eyes (outside the situation), says your kids did not have the understanding of what could and could not be played with. Same with the understanding of the limits (your bedroom, for example).

I do support not paying her because of the damages caused due to her NOT DOING HER JOB, but I do not support putting all the blame on her shoulders or expecting her parents to foot the bill. I figure unless you have VERY rebellious kids, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to understand that stuff in certain places is not theirs and should not be messed with. And since I don't actually have kids of my own, I'm just gonna leave the thread...

That explains a lot. Really.

I don't have any lulzy babysitter stories to post :( 

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    My parents started leaving me home alone at age 5.

My sister? She wasn't allowed home alone till 14.

Can't explain that one.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Was she hot? :confused2 

6. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Yeah, I'm thinking your kids aren't angels in this one either. Y'know how you were saying the baby-sitter's parents might defend her? Well...um...you're sort of doing that with your kids too. Granted, the baby-sitter didn't do her job, and she shouldn't be paid, but unless you can prove she went on a stomping jag with your toys, I wouldn't ask her parents to pay for the loss.

I would, however, suggest this is a perfect time to REALLY lay down the law with your kids and let them know the severity of what they've done. If my kids broke all my toys, you had best believe they would not be toy owners for quite some time either.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    #1 - The girl gets nothing. She was warned, she didn't follow, too bad for her.

#2 - Let her parents know she was warned not to let the kids in there, don't bring up the toy part but definitely the value of what was lost and the fact there are such dangerous objects in there that their daughter was warned of and promptly ignored.

#3 - Make sure your kids know the severity of what they've done, if they knew they weren't allowed in there, they're guilty as well.

8. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

You know by posting that, Jiggles will come in here and post about how he had sex with his babysitter, her mom, and some random chick who was walking by the house.

9. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    damn that sucks.....REALLY sucks...

i might be 16....but really if any of my transformers and EXPECIALLY my thomas get broke, the one responsible will be beaten baldy with a tackle box or anything i can grab *but i woundn't do that to anyone.....that is just what i would do :lol  *

10. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    i want that for my sig so badly :lol 

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How old are the kids?

But, yeah, withholding pay due to negligence is OK in my book. Sure, the kids may (or may not) know they shouldn't play with daddy's toys, but they could probably convince a babysitter- despite you having told her the opposite. My other advice- a lock for your office door. NOW.

12. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

It's the principal of the matter. YOU pay HER. YOU lay down RULES. During HER watch she is RESPONSIBLE. It is YOUR house SHE is in. You don't tell someone "There's deadly plants in this room, they're pretty but my kids can't touch them." The fact here it's 'just' a plant, the other fact, oooh, pretty *sniff*

Swords in a room, dangerous. Kids can't play with those. I agree, don't mention toy stuff (but you alread knew that) just their value. Use your judment to determine what she should pay for and speak calmly with the parents, omitting her presence. On the other hand, some people are just weird about their kids.

Then again, I was 13 too once. A long LOOONNG time ago. Did I do stupid stuff? I didn't have a job, no. Not that responsible, yet. I just snuck into a church and made a water park, but i'm not a bad person. Not really.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Lock = security. Want internet? Wireless and a laptop.

To be honest with kids around the house should be kid proofed anyway. Toys should be out of reach, or at least locked up.

Which reminds me. I have a cabinet with all my expensive stuff boxed up in there. I should get a lock for it...

14. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

My parents once filed child abuse charges against one of my babysitters. They weren't too happy to come home to find a big red hand print on the side of my face.

15. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

I will be the first to say my kids are not angles. Certainly I am not solely placing blame on the babysitter for anything more then not watching them, closely.

My boys are 4 and 2, and for the most part the 4 year old does know better, They were certianly punished for their part in the matter. I didn't mean to come across as they got off in this scott free.

Being late lastnight, and having re-read my comment on her parents, I don't expect them to foot the bill for damage. I think what I wanted to say more was if the tables were turned, and an issue like this with my child was brought up, I would atleast offer to repay something. If only for the sake of partial responsability.

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mooooooooom, the babysitter was playing horse rides with her friend in his car...

To the OP: I'd say you'd possibly be justified in withholding some pay, assuming that indeed she did completely neglect to do what you said.

17. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I guess I'll be the guy to come in here and wonder about the sense of allowing a 13 year old into a room with swords unsupervised any more than your kids...

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

My babysitter use to make me watch her pee and walked around stark ass naked.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never hire a child to do an adults job. No offense but you are a tiny bit to blame. Kids these days are for the most part irresponsible. That is why they are kids. Find some one in their very late teens to 20s if you gotta go young. Or look for an older lady.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was she hot?

Edit: This also might explain things.... ;)