Minor/Repaint: Night Squad (or: dye experiment)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by gargunkle, Jul 16, 2009.

1. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I recently got a big lot of stuff on Craigslist, but most of the figures were incomplete. I'd been meaning to try dyeing with heat. Previously I had tried leaving items in room temp dye for a week or more (I'd read about someone doing this) but it didn't take at all. More recently I read someone here (whoever made the Animated "Dark Dinobots") using a fry cooker. This sounded safer to me since you have the basket and the items aren't directly in contact with the heat. I had some leftover black dye from before.

Needless to say, I did not expect the results to be quite so thorough, but here we are.

Nightshot
    Stealth Ravage
    Night Boss

I might try touching up some details with a silver sharpie or such.

Update 7/19/09 with many more pictures and figures. Sharkticon, Scrapmetal and Ransack were all done using blue Rit dye. The thing which surprised me the most is that the translucent parts in Ransack and Scrapmetal didn't really take the dye. (I had tried Ransack's cyber planet key too, and it's basically unchanged.)

Attached Files:

2. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    What dye did you use? I've been wanting to try this but all I have it rit dye and I didn't want to ruin a figure.

3. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    did you cook them using the fry cooker? Ive yet to try mine but the how to's Ive read was to remove from heat during the actual dyeing process.....interesting. I guess its the same thing as just using a pot cause water wont get as hot as oil.

4. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I used Rit dye. These figures in particular just used Rit black dye specifically.

The dye bath in the fry cooker did get over boiling temperatures. And you figure that is more than normal boiling point for plain water since there is something dissolved in the dye bath. I didn't check the temperature, though.

The weapons compartment of one of Nightshot's arms did unfortunately get a little warped, but the others and the rest of Nightshot's parts all came out with no deformities.

Soon I am going to try dyeing with kool-aid or generics.

5. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Well, the berry blue Kool-Aid did basically not much. Not enough at least. It might have been more effective if I had left in the figure longer, but then I would worry about warping. I'll need to get some more Rit dye.

6. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Save yourself the time, trouble, mess and inconsistency....

Use paint.

Just sayin'.

(I hate dye)

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I hate paint myself. Or at least I do not really care for it. I'm not very accurate (at least without a lot of practice) and I don't like the notion of the new paint job chipping off when I transform the figure.

8. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Well, doesn't dye rub off on your fingers even after you are done? Just sand your joints a little and use the correct paint and you won't get any paint rub.

Good luck with the dye, though...

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Gents, we have a tutorial on dying in Radicons :wink: 

The only problem I see with these is that we need more photos! I think your results look great! :thumb 

10. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I will try to take more photos then. :) 

No, the dye doesn't actually rub off at all. It's soaked into the plastic but it's not on the surface. In this way it's sort of like if you dyed a shirt. The dye wouldn't rub off when you wear it (if you did it correctly, at least).

11. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Bump for new dye subjects

12. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

that Sharkticon looks killer! I love that!

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed. Sharkticon has become a favorite of mine after the gun mod I did to mine :)  I'm glad to see you taking more photos; your work is worth it :thumb