Night Jobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midnight, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Who all works the night shift? Whats it like?

I'm an extremely nocturnal person so i've been thinking of getting a job that lets me stay up all night.

Anyone work nights at Wal-Mart? Whats that like too?

EDIT- Whats the best night job too?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I use to deliver pizzas during the night shift and worked over night stock at various retail chains. It's the bomb if you're a night person. More laid back and the after work parties are awesome.

3. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Thats kinda what I was hoping to hear.lol

I'm up at all hours of the night so it seems like a good choice.

4. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I worked from 6 P.M. to 6 A.M. for 5 years. It sucks. I'm nocturnal also, but if you can avoid working nights I highly recommend it. If you are a parent F no.

5. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

It sucks? Why?

It seems great. I can't drag myself out of bed in the morning anyway.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I used to work nights as a security guard at the local hospital. Loved it. Lots of freaks at night. :lol 

I advise you to avoid overnight stocking. That shit fucking sucks. I lasted 3 days at Walmart before I quit.

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did it at a grocery chain over winter/summer of the last year, and there really is nothing great about it. I'm a person who was used to pulling all nighters without hesitation, but night shift is a whole different story. Either way, you are basically having to do the same schedule as you would for a day job, only you end up missing out on a lot of things because on your days off the stores aren't open when you would normally be awake in most cases, and if you have any friends or family that are on days you tend to miss out on doing anything with them most of the time.

Days off are also bad because you virtually lose an entire day if you want to do anything during the daytime for a day off. For example, if you get the weekend off, that means you get friday and saturday night off and go in on sunday night. But, since you work thursday night into friday morning, you'll probably end up sleeping through most of friday. If you want to do something during the day, then the only real option is to do it during the saturday then, because while you may have saturday night off, you need to sleep during the day sunday to be able to go to work and actually be productive.

This isn't a case if you don't give a rat's ass about your job of course (as is the case with some people who think it's just party time all night long), but if you take your job performance seriously then you will need to get some sleep.

Having a single day off at a time is even worse, because if you get wednesday off, you still work into wednesday morning, then have to work thursday night.

Trust me, I know where you're coming from with your interest in the night shift. I had pretty much the same outlook on it, but it's really worse than it seems if you have any aspect of your life that actually requires you to do things during normal business hours.

8. michael_knight

michael_knight Well-Known Member

my last job before I started school last year was delivering newspapers. That job was great! Easy as pie, paid decently, and only took me 5 hours a night. I'd show up at the warehouse around 2am, have my papers in the car by 3:30, and be home by 7am. I just drove around all night listening to music doing whatever I wanted. No one was on the road, I got to drive on both sides going in the same direction, if a cop was following me I'd just chuck a paper out the window even if it wasn't supposed to go there, and then the cops would pass me since they knew I was working and not drunk. Awesome! I almost miss it but getting out of school in a couple months means I'll be able to get a job that has weekends and health insurance. Some things are just more important.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, having a night job really depends on where you are at in your life. If you're single and kinda young then it's great, but if you have a family and you're getting up in age it does get old very quickly.

10. orionprime

orionprime <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I work 4pm to 4am then stay up til about 7 when I get home, get back up at noon and start it all over again. It is not too bad as I have always been a night owl but it does get hard to hang out with friends and family that are not on the same schedule.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Night work is fun, all those graveyard shift jobs have messed up my inner schedule though.

Only thing I don't like 3rd shift is that it caused me to sleep all day.
    I would get alot of grief over it.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I was 20 and single and hated it.

I worked as a security guard for a City-owned facility for about a year, working weekend days- 6am to 6pm. Got switched over to nights after a personnel shift and lasted two weeks until I gave my two weeks notice.

I don't mind missing my weekends because I'm at work, but missing my weekends because I'm asleep isn't acceptable in my book.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Night Jobs were the only ones i could get. my short list:
    Overnight Stocker- walmart

Security- at an airport/maintenance corporation's facility, Dorm and campus security at U. of Alabama, and security at a various posts with a local company- from a chicken plant to nursing homes and gate work at carnivals. i did security so i could study for my Medic's license and had a steady source of extra work for fast, easy money.

Overnights at walmart can be stressful, but it was good work, to me.

be careful with security work, though. i got assigned to a 14 hour shift at a refrigerated warehouse out in Bumfuck, Alabama, monitoring temps all by my lonesome. 22 1/2 hours later, i was still there and waiting for a person to relieve me

security isn't that hard, it's the unreliable slobs that you depend upon to let you go home that can burn you. (and yes, i have even had my supervisor call in sick on me.)

I preferred night shifts as a medic, too. cooler temps in the summer, better cases (freaky ones) and you could sleep enough to enjoy your days off.

14. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't do it for the health risks.

People were meant to work all night, it messes with your body's natural rhythm and leads to a higher risk of prostate and breast cancer.

15. bandron

bandron seeker jets' nightmare

Ebay:
    I've been night shift for most of my working life and I much prefer it to day shift. I've been doing security for over five years and would recommend something in that field if you feel safe where you are at. That is the downside to night shift. There may be less people about but more of the ones that are about could be up to mischief. All in all I'd say if you want to work night shift go for it, see how it works for you.

16. Thundersmacker

Thundersmacker More then meets the lie

working the nightshift right now. Local time 1:39 AM. Our Local radioshow is kicking arse :) 

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hated working the night shift during college summers. On your days off your body just wants you to sleep during the day when friends/family would want to be doing other things.

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I worked a few job that started at 6 pm and ended at 2am. That was alright and still let me lead a relatively normal life...

19. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

re-he-heally? maybe i shuold look into it.

20. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I work 6pm to 6am.

It sucks, but I'm also unsupervised, so it has it's advantages.