Nick Roche interview [Spotlights, working for IDW, original-era comics]

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Denyer, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    very nice art but...

warning: rant

...this is what i hate abt current comics. too much visual exposition. a whole frickin' page to explain how some thingamabob works? it used to be you can wrap up an entire scene in a single page. that page can basically be translated in script in a single sentence.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I hope if he's doing Hot Rod one-shot he's not drawing him to look like the Hot Rod shown there.

No offense Roche, but your PMOP is pretty hot and the Hot Rod is pretty not.

4. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Drafting and getting ideas down on paper quickly, trying different features, etc. I think -- those interior pages are more 'traditional' Shockwave than the first art we saw.

I'm curious who this new-to-comics character will be. Furman's got Sixshot in another story, and it's good to shake things up a bit.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I dunno, I like the Hot Rod, it could work within the story, if there is one.

6. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=682

^ That type of art does work with sequentials (third pic down with HR and Arcee, for example) -- doubtless we'll be getting something a bit more traditional though.

(That's a thing I really didn't like about Pat Lee... apart from the early pics when DW had just got the licence (the one with 80s heroes standing on Prime's hand, the Megatron/Prime boxart type battle scene, etc) he was always in the shohen bubble style, didn't vary it to suit each project. The best artists can do all sorts, and do so that they keep their range.)

7. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    He's got undeniable Skills, but his style suits my taste's evem less than Pat Lee's :eek:  sorry.

just dropped the spotlights from my pull.

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nick Roche is forged from awesome.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Sheesh, comics also have stories you know... the words in the bubbles. Seriously! I kid you not!

10. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Quoted for Truth. :rock 

I especially love that Hotrod, that is some expressive feeling line work.

:dj 

11. artiepants

News Credits:
    true, true, i'm just really not feeling the art (but, again, he clearly has skills, and his sequentials are strong, just not my taste ~ a poor fit for TF IMO) and the $3.99 price tag for a regular length book makes for Angry Pants!

(is hoping that the $3.99 price tag doesn't follow on Escalation, because if it does, bye-bye IDW, i already hate Su's art, i'm sure not going to pay a 33.3% more than most other books to get it.)

12. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

It's standard for independent publishers, at least -- and personally I don't mind a light markup on one of relatively few comics I read so that there aren't adverts mixed into the story pages. That really pissed me off about Marvel's 1608, even though I knew Gaiman got it and other gigs so that he could build up funds for challenging Todd McFarlane. They get in the way and make TPBs much more attractive.

If sales jamp around the new movie (and comic sales generally don't hugely, though they do a bit) maybe IDW should fall back to annoying customers with outside adverts but keeping the cover prices in line with Marvel.

What would other people prefer in this respect?

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    agreed that is an ugly Hot Rod :( 

14. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I love his hotrod! Dude, Hotrod is supposed to be some young punk kid who thinks he's top shelf shit and I think that look suits him well.

15. artiepants

News Credits:
    is it? all the Image, Dark Horse and Devil's due i get are $2.99, and size-wise, those 3 seem more on par with IDW than the smaller indies. my pull's in the 30-40 book range, and i just had to drop $1750 into my car:cry  so i needed to clear out some titles anyway...

16. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I don't think most of the small press title I've picked up occasionally over the last few years even ship through Diamond, but yeah -- they've been over four bucks in a lot of cases (pre-shipping, obviously.)

Would people be happy with interleaved ads and a lower cover price? I'm not sure the company could be persuaded to go with them, but it might be worth looking into what audience reaction would be.

Personally I'd be annoyed, but I follow stuff as a monthly to review and talk about the stuff. I get the feeling others would simply switch to trades.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    And here I was hoping we got past Transformers with teeth and their face sticking out of their "helmets".

Shit, is this Transformers, or Mega Man?

Cuz I'm pretty confused.

18. artiepants

News Credits:
    I've been reading comics with ads for 20 years, so it wouldn't bother me.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sell ads and lower the price.

Then again, who'd buy an ad in a title this niche?

20. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

TF comics outsell some titles by mainstream publishers that have ads, although it's presumably tiered -- advertisers can pay Marvel for ads that get inserted into an agree number of titles with [insert number] circulation figures, or perhaps pay extra to be inserted into a specific title. Small press has much less leverage in this regard, and TFs are IDW's biggest.

Something I'm really interested in... I know most of Dreamwave's downfall was due to royalties/printing nonpayments that went back a year or two before they plunged, but how realistic an idea of TFs appeal in comics does Hasbro have? Past the initial boom, DW had sales more in line with other independents, and if the licensing costs were unreasonable it'd certainly have hastened their demise.

Hasbro definitely won't "undervalue" TF licensing with a movie just around the corner... but again, they may have unrealistic ideas of how much extra trade a movie attracts.

I never used to mind much as a kid, but UK comics usually had multiple strips in an issue so the ads slotted in at natural breaks. Reading the various US titles I've acquired since then is much more pleasant in collected volumes than stuff with eight or more inserts deliberately placed so that the reader doesn't get used to the pattern and catches a glimpse.

Wouldn't mind centerfold ads.