NIB Leader Class TF Animated Ultra Mag, Good investment?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Agentknife, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Agentknife

Agentknife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My local Kmart has a TF Animated Leader Class Ultra Mag for $37.50. It does have some shelf wear and a crumpled/dented box corner. My question is would this make a good investment If I bought and stored for a couple of years. All opions are helpful. thanks

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No.

Very few modern transformers go up in value in any decent amount. so many collectors buy them that the market for any older figures is completely saturated.

3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Transformers are not investments, they are toys. Occasionally you get some people who are willing to drop ridiculous amounts of money on them, and the occasional seller who wants nothing less than a mint for his wares. Past that, I can't think of a less safe way to invest money, least not right off the top of my head.

4. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Poor investment.

Fun toy.

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    To answer your question, most, if not all Animated haven't held their value at all these past years.

Ultra Magnus frequents from 20 to 35 USD, so you'd be taking a loss unfortunately.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can think of a lot worse ways to invest your money. We have a good knowledge of Transformers, and as many basic investors will tell you, invest in what you know. Are you better off picking some stock that your buddy heard a great lead on from a friend at the bar? We have a knowledge of toys, much like people have a knowledge of finance, or properties, or even classic cars.

As far as Magnus goes, I don't think it is a worthwhile investment. As others have said, a lot of Animated figures have not held their value as well as other lines. Unless it is Roadbuster Magnus, I would take that off your hands as it is one of two US Animated figures I still need.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    buy gold.

tfs are for those that appreciate the toy, not speculators.

8. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have 5 of these misb. They were heavily clearanced at the end. Given enough time anything is possible, but don't go out of your way for it. I have the other leaders as multiples misb but they were harder to get. If you can find Bulkhead or Megatron they may be a better investment.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No.

10. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you should buy them ALL up and hold onto them, they should go for $200+ easy in a year or two.

BTW-I have one in my sales thread

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude, do yourself a favor and just buy him. Not as an investment, but because he's just an incredible toy. Take him outta that box and just enjoy him, it's an amazing figure.

12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think these will appreciate as they never came out in the UK and could be a real good investment.

They key word there is "could". If you make sure it's a toy you like and are happy to display as part of your collection, then it's 0 risk.

13. Agentknife

Agentknife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the help guys. Some of you who took "investment" a little too seriously though. I ment would I likely be able to get $75-$100 for in a year or too not retire on it. It looks like their prices are pretty steady for the time being and I most likely will not be buying it. It does however look like a really awsome toy.

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Animated will not be worth anything until the 8 year olds of today become the 20 somethings of tomorrow. It is how toys work, they go in 10-20 year cycles. You need to wait for the kiddies to become nastolgic adults with disposable income. And it will happen.

15. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I'd kill you for it. I've NEVER seen Animated Magnus in my area, and here you are, two years since Animated was dropped like a rock, and you've FOUND him. Bastard. :mad 

No seriously, lucky you. I'm jelly. :D 

Personally, I'd buy it. As I said, never saw him AT ALL (not even the repaint), and he's probably not gonna get any cheaper (being out of production and what-not). Honestly, I'm really surprised to see "$37.50", "Animated Leader class Ultra Magnus", and "today" in direct relation to each other.

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

This^ If you were talking about a 50 dollar Ultra Magnus, and were planning to resell, I would say no. But since you're talking about a 37 dollar Ultra Magnus, you should buy him if you play with your toys.

17. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a toy for your collection... he makes an interesting figure. He's one of three figures named Ultra Magnus that sports a mold that isn't just a White Prime. A very nice figure too... if you don't dig him as Ultra Magnus, give him a new head and he can be another TF. He can also fit well enough in a mixed lot of CHUG figures methinks.

As an investment... probably not. I scored an almost complete Magnus (no hammer) as part of a toy lot for 50$... this included a wingless Unicron and a Complete Blue Cybertron OP.

eBay's Auction Average tool shows 11 sales of "Animated Ultra Magnus" for around 41$ BTW... so resale value doesn't seem to make the investment worth it... perhaps it'll go up a bit with the holiday sales craze... but IDK.

18. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

My local Walmart had a bunch of these for $20 each a couple years ago so I don't know how valuable he could become.

19. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not advisable for investment,maybe you can just purchase for the sake of displaying or playing with it

20. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you buy something for a collection of some sorts. This being transformers, then yes its an investment. Toys, coins, trains, all investments if you pay money to obtain and keep (collect). Whether or not its a good investment, only time will tell. Tfs are a shot in the dark they can be worth good money or worthless. Someone has to be willing to buy it for it to be worth anything.