NHL Free Agency Period Whirlwind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DevilzFan, Jul 2, 2008.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Anyone else been glued to the Hockey sites?

Hossa to Detroit. 1 year, 7.4 mil. I was not expecting that one at all.

Devils seem to be putting the band back together, bringing back former favorites Brian Rolston and Bobby Holik. I have a strong feeling Lou Lamoriello is going to pull off a deal to send Brian Gionta somewhere in exchange for a solid offensive defenseman. These moves confirm what we've been expecting. Lou's trying to put together a "Win NOW!" team now that Marty Brodeur is down to 2-4 years left in his career.

Rangers gained heavily criticized defenseman Wade Redden. There's been talk about his lackluster play over the last few seasons. Some people say the pressure is off of him now that he's out of Ottawa. I say the pressure's just begun. You think the pressure's any less in New York City? Think again.

Rangers have lost Sean Avery to Dallas. Good riddance! You won't be missed in the East you scumbag. Seems the Rangers have lost Jagr and Shanahan as well. Rumor is Jagr to Edmonton sometime today. No confirmation. There's also rumor of Shanahan returning to New Jersey to end his career with the team he started with. I just don't see that. I'd be very surprised if the Devils signed Shanny.

Washington's lost some big talent in Olaf Kolzig. He decided to move to Tampa with (apparently) the rest of the NHL free agents :lol  Tampa's really beefing up, and on paper at least, appear to be a strong threat in the East now.

Mark Streit went to the Isle's. Solid pickup on their part.

The Hawks stole Brian Campbell. Excellent pickup on their part. I hope to see the Hawks pull something together this year. They've been a joke for far too long, which is a shame for one of the Original 6 teams.

The Avs nabbed Marcy (no, that's not a type, it's deliberate) from free agency after the Leaf's bought out his worthless contract. I'm shocked the Avs wanted the talentless loser.

My analysis so far. What's everyone else think about the first day and a half so far?

2. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh crap........that just nuts for him to go to the Redwings. How can they afford him?

3. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

So Rangers gained a underperforming guy on D, while losing 3 key guys to FA? That's far from a good offseason if you ask me.

4. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Habs were dumb not to negotiate with Streit, for the 2nd year in a row they lose a defenseman whose contribution to the PP was important.

I guess Gainey missed the boat again trying to sign a big name.

5. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, people here are seriously getting pissed at Hossa now. There will surely be many a booing when he comes around.

Some surprising moves I guess. The only other thing I have to comment about now is, can someone please tell me who the hell Jeff Finger is and why he deserved that ludicrous amount of money?

6. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, if Shanny comes back to Jersey, I'll definitely be taking in a few games at The Rock. Although, I doubt my Shanny Wings/Rangers jerseys would fly too well there.

Because Ken Holland, not Brian Burke, is the best GM in the league. The man knows how to work with the salary cap.

Your comment echoes the rest of the hockey world. It's hilarious.

7. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. DevilzFan

It'll fly fine. Usually see too many Ranger jersey's, and other team jersey's there.

*cough* Lou Lamoriello *cough* :p 

I also want to quote a post that was so very thoughtful and well written from the http://www.njdevs.com forum:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  9. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I couldn't believe the news when they announced Hossa would be a Wing next season. That is just plain sick. Might as well just keep the Cup in Detroit next season because it doesn't look to be going anywhere.

Now if only we could jump ahead to the start of the season!

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The Hawks FINALLY spent some money. Campbell AND Huet. Huet surprised me since the talk at the end of last year was Lalime being the number one guy.

Oh and Lalime going to Buffalo? Wow. I was not expecting that. Apparently Buffalo is in the habit of picking up Chicago Goalies. Years ago it was Hasek, last year it was Thibalt, and this year they get Lalime. They must get a discount shopping in Chicago.

11. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Wow, GM's haven't learned from the lockout, throwing away their money like that.

Something really fishy is going on in Toronto, it's almost as if they're doing it on purpose… Is drafting Tavares that important to them?

12. DevilzFan

GM's always over pay when it's a weak FA year. If there's less FA talent out there, they're going to throw more money to the guys they want to assure they get them. No surprise there.

13. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know… That's why I was saying that they still didn't learn.

I just don't see how Christobal Huet gets more money than Brodeur, hehe.

And I am aware that he took a pay cut to remain in NJ, but still.

Let's see what tomorrow has in store. Everyone at the office will have their browsers on NHL sites. We're big on hockey at work.

14. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wish the Flyers would pick up a stud defenseman.

15. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Satan and Fedotenko? Um...ok. The important thing was resigning MAF and Orpik and extending Malkin though.

16. DevilzFan

Just like Steve Miller, Jaromir Jagr "took the money and run! woo woo!"

Jagr signed a 2 year deal, with an option for a 3rd with the OMSK Superteam in Russia.

17. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He might even be able to replace Alexei Morozov as the best player in that league.