Customs: Next projects: Seeking advice...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by LamboTwinLove, Aug 8, 2012.

1. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Now that I am done with y first custom, Animated Movie Sideswipe, I will be moving on to another project once the base figures arrive.

My next project is taking Titanium Sideswipe and making him into Sunstreaker along with taking titanium Thundercracker and making him Skywarp. Now, these are all diecast, so does anyone have any suggestions on paints? I don't think I will bother with altering the Sideswipe head just because it is so small. I'll just paint the red bits yellow. And Thundercracker just needs to be black and purple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that my next project will be Myclone seekers! I will be taking 2 of these...

[​IMG]

And making them into these...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am thinking acrylics would be just fine for the PVC Myclones, but I am open to any suggestions for more seasoned Radicons!

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You don't need to prep the diecast figures any differently from plastic ones (in my experience). Those 3" Titaniums are probably no different than painting Warhammer figures. They can take acrylics pretty well. Just make sure you prime them properly. The Myclones follow the same idea.

3. LamboTwinLove

Gotcha! Thanks for the advice Satomiblood, the same would hold for a Revoltech figure right? If I can get a hold of a loose cheap Starscream I'm gonna try to paint him as Sunstorm later down the road.

4. Satomiblood

I've painted Revoltech figures before. They take paint very well. Just make sure you clean thoroughly with a brush and warm, soapy water.

5. LamboTwinLove

Awesome! Now I just have to find a Starscream that isn't 45 bucks lol. I dunno if I could paint a figure I paid almost 50 bucks for. I would worry even more about screwing it up.

6. Satomiblood

I actually have 2 Revo Starscreams that I bought from a board member a few years ago. It was a custom attempt gone bad. I've stripped the custom paint in an attempt to do it right.

7. LamboTwinLove

Oh? How did they go bad? Just didn't work paint wise?

8. Satomiblood

It was just terribly done. Granted, it was a beginner, but it just looked like a little kid rushing to get his homework done. It was just sloppy. The factory paint underneath started to bubble. I might need to wet sand to get those bumps off.

9. LamboTwinLove

Ouch, that sucks. Poor Screamer. So don't rush, clean the figure, prime the figure and paint carefully. I will have to get more primer lol.