Next gimmick - SUPER COMBINER!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Apr 8, 2006.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I was thinking that while it seems most of us could do without gimmicks like force chips and minicon-activated features, there is one gimmick I have always wanted to see, and one that would fit into a toyline nicely (and profitably).

Have EVERY figure in the line from each respective faction form into a super combiner to duke it out in the finale. Perhaps certain figures could combine into mini-combiners too, ala powerlinking or Landcross.

A combiner made from 10-15 figures would not only be HUGE, but from a selling point, it would force kids to beg their parents to buy every single figure to make it.

It will probably never happen, but what do you think?

2. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

That'd be neat but the amount of suffering that each toy would take to be forced into a particular combination mode would be horrible. If you think gimmicks hindered them before this would be the grand finale of gimmicks.

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I dont like the idea as proposed. Maybe if the combining was limited to troop buildable figures that could be alright. Even better if the combinability was virtually unlimited so that you could combine 5 combined figures into one uber combined figure, and 5 of those uber combined figures in one super uber combined figure so on and so forth.

4. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

have you seen the mugenbine machine robos? If not I think you may like them. :) 

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^was that directed towards the OP?

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't think it would for most figures. When each one only has to make one part of the gestalt, with 15 or so figures, each one would only have to make a small chunk, essentally a box with a connector at each end. I figure about three guys for each leg, two for each arm, and three to five for the torso, with Prime and Megatron being the heads, of course.

They could go the energon route for parts like hands and feet, with all their weapons combining into the needed parts.

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    So instead of searching for keys and mini robots, they search for lost members of the top secret super combiner battalion known as "Armada Alpha". Only clues hidden deep within Cybertron's databanks and ancient scripture will lead the Autobots to uncover the mystery. The Decepticons, unaware of the Autobots' discovery, struggle to keep hidden while following them.

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It sounds great, but keeping 15 figures stay combined in a playable stability would be very difficult :(  And hunting for 15 of them would be pain.
    Oh wait, maybe they can have 3 sets of 5 figures...but then they need to be relatively small?

I like Cheetatron's idea. Bit like Binonicles.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    nooo no sets.. he means the whole line! as in GF would have it so in the end, you'd find out that ALL the autobots could combine into one single bot, and the 'cons could do the same as well... your toys would all play like normal non-gimmicky TFs, but if you completed the whole line you could combine them into two super-combiners.

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So they are "normal" TFs but combine as well? How? Having a big knob and a hole on their bodies to snap on?

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah... basically they'd be like normal combiners, but since there's so many to combine, you don't need them to change form very much to work, so it wouldnt' compromise tf schemes as much... lots of tabs and posts I'd imagine to make it work.. would be neat, but they probably wouldnt' do it.... collectors would need two of everything so they could display individuals and also the super bots :lol 

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    He hasn't worked the mechanics of it! Just the kick ass idea. I picture a terrible kibbly robot who falls apart a lot. But if it worked? Oh man, so kick ass. One Autobot and one Decptcion larger than Unicron fighting it out until all is one. So awesome.

EDIT uh, this post was meant for the post before the previous post. :p 

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Exactly.

14. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Maybe. Maybe not. But such a monster combiner would be worth it IMO just to have one series like that.

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a nifty idea, I'm just not sure they could pull it off all that well.

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Eh, I doubt it would be possible without massive compromises (crappy individual bots, lots of repaints, low stability, low articulation, etc). A Scramble City style thing wold be much more feasible and cooler IMO.

17. David Magnus

David Magnus Enlarged to show texture

Just imagine the development needed to pull this off right. I do, and I think it would be worth it, but no rush jobs. No filler characters.

I've dinked around with this idea for years. If someone would simply do it...

From a marketing and story standpoint, as a writer I can have so much fun with this concept. Imagine releasing the figures of all the different size classes in such a way that no one from the kids to the adult collectors have a clue that they combine until the final wave hits and either has instructions for the combined form or a weblink (something like taking the Cyber key codes from all the figures for that faction and inputting them into a website, but not as cheesy) in order to get the intructions. Suddenly shelf warmers have new life. In the end we have not one but two huge three-foot tall well-designed, articulated, stable, and very cool looking robots.

Transformers heaven...

Whoever could do this right would be the ultimate Transformers design god.

Magnus

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd buy into this idea.:thumb 

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

What if perhaps just a part of each figure was used to form the super combiner? That way, only that particular part (obviously something detachable) would need to be designed with the combiner in mind- no compromises to the rest of the figure?

20. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Of course just with the fact that they combine, the Autobots WILL all be one. lol

Anyway, the idea sounds interesting.