Next Game: How to Handle Triple Changers

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by orangeitis, Aug 29, 2012.

1. orangeitis

orangeitis Sick Kiss Players Lover

Ebay:
    It's simple. Because it's established in WFC/FOC that triple/quadruple-changing is more commonplace to be just a 'specialty' of gimmick of certain Transformers. In addition to robot modes:
    -Soundwave has a truck mode, tape deck mode, AND a
    street light
    mode
    -Vortex has a copter mode, a jet mode, and a combiner limb mode
    -Brawl has a tank mode, a gun platform mode, and a combiner limb mode
    -Perceptor has a tank mode and a
    microscope
    mode.
    -Maybe more, but I haven't played FoC yet. D:

So why not triple-changers from G1? Even if a mechanic isn't put in where they can have 2 alt modes per level, they could still have alt modes limited for each part of the level. For instance, Astrotrain's default mode is spaceship unless he's near train tracks.

Heck, a triple-changing ability could even take up the 'ability button' FoC introduced. How it would work is simple. The bot would start the stage being able to assume one alt mode. When the ability button is pressed and he's in bot mode, he'll transform into the other alt mode whenever the transform button is pressed. Or if he's already in alt mode when the ability button is pressed, he'll transform into the other alt mode directly.

Seems simple enough. I'm guessing though that triple-changers were either forgotten or wasn't at a high priority when HMS was making FoC.

Thoughts?

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    When everyone is already a triple-changer, is it really so special?

3. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

Make it an ability, the person using it can temporarily take on the vehcile mode of another enemy character.

Bam, easy peasy.

4. orangeitis

Ebay:
    To me, the characters who always were identified as triple changers are, and their two alt modes are pretty iconic.

5. RipCurl

RipCurl I just can't get enough!

News Credits:
    why are those spoilered out ?

6. orangeitis

Ebay:
    Just in case? There are a lot of people who still haven't played the game, I was trying to be considerate.

7. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Street light Soundwave must be a furious opponent.

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Those aren't really all that different or useful from the standard vehicle modes, and I've never counted "limb mode" as a third mode. A triple changer has two separate vehicle modes, usually one usable in air, and one on land or in water.

How I'd handle it would be to make a level on Campaign where you can use Blitzwing to clear a path for the Decepticon army, somehow. You could switch freely between modes, and would have a tank and jet altmode (with the nominal vehicle weapons of each.)

Not complicated at all, really.

9. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

since we already have the hover modes for everyone why not use that mechanic. When in hover mode they use their land form, and when they go into boost/full vehicle they switch to flight mode.

10. orangeitis

Ebay:
    That might either look too weird, or would function badly. Are we talking about, say, Blitzwing falling to the ground every time he stops to hover? Or are we gonna see him as a tank floating in mid-air?

11. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Oooo, nice one! Blitz could hover around slowly as a tank, and when he hits the throttle, he turns to jet mode! And when he turns off the boosters in midair, tank falls to the ground.

12. Downshift-1307

Downshift-1307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would LOVE to see them tackle Blitzwing, maybe making his Tank mode an ability and his Jet mode his actual transformation for speed and transport purposes.
    That could be some serious fun there if done right!

13. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    To balance it, make it an ability that automatically shifts you back to ground mode when it runs out. Otherwise you'd have jets flying up to the high vantage points and turning into tank mode to rain artillery down on folks.

14. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Thats not a huge problem really as tanks can't shoot down at a particularly steep trajectory and offer up a big chunky target for snipers. Something I think would slightly complicate things though is how big would they be?

Blitzwing for example, would he be Titan or Scientist sized?

15. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I'd make him sizechange, and the robot would be the size of a Leader.

But yeah. I'd make him a Leader class, equipped with Leader weapons. I really don't want to see a Scientist swooping down and busting out the X12 Scrapmaker, so that's the predominant argument for either an individual weapons class or Leader weapons.

What I'm thinking is 500 health, which I think is the nominal Leader health. Though that makes them a stronger jet than usual, they can't use jet form unless they're boosting, so camping and firing missiles is a moot point. It also makes them a slightly weaker tank, but whatever.

16. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    If we do get triple changers they better be a entire diffrent class thats abilitie determines the alt form

17. orangeitis

Ebay:
    I'd personally make him a Titan with an aircraft transformation special ability.

I'd make Astrotrain and Octane Destroyers, also with aircraft transformation special abilities. Springer maybe a Scientist with a truck transformation special ability. Sandstorm an Infiltrator with an aircraft transformation special ability. Broadside... lol no idea.

18. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Maybe depending on the 3rd form it could modify the health and speed of the certain charectors.

So lets go with the blitzwing approach his health would be inbetween a titans and a scientists and his tank form would be slightly faster and his jet mode being slightly slower to balence it out.

19. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

I'd love to be able to play as Blitzwing

Question is for you guys, what version of Blitzwing would you want? Multiple personality or g1?

20. orangeitis

Ebay:
    Would it be wrong to say multiple personalities in a G1 body? :bay