News - Sony and Namco Bandai to form Cellius Inc.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Jan 24, 2007.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wow...never saw this one coming.

and Soul Calibur and Tekken was one of the few titles that i really liked...though Tekken was always PS.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Its just looks like Sony and Namco are spinning thier Playstation teams off into a seperate entity to cut costs and limit liability, I hardly think that Namco are going to throw away potential profit by not producing games for other platforms anymore.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

That's.... interesting and unexpected. I wonder if they really are willing to drop the additional income from those other platforms or if it is simply a "sattelite" company?

4. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

So was SCIII. Truthfully, I won't miss them much. They've only ever really had a presence on Sony consoles (at least in my collection). That is, excluding a few joint Nintendo-Namco games.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    bye Namco Bandai...it's been fun

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Why hasn't there been any announcements for SCIV?

7. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

Looks like I'm going to have to spend $600 play Soul Calibur and Tales of series

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

1) Namco still exists as an independent entity, so they're not going exclusively to Sony. It's just that they now have a sub-company devoted to making Sony-exclusive titles.

2) Even if it were an exclusive, I don't see the big deal. It's a bit like Arizona getting Randy Johnson back. Sure, it's news, but when you think about, it doesn't mean that much. Namco's best days are long behind it. It basically brings just four franchises with current worth. Two are fighting games, but the ability of fighters to sell consoles has been dwindling for the past decade. The third, Ridge Racer, may be a decent driving game, but it's quality is not so remarkable that it can't be matched by other franchises. The last, the Tales... games, are Japanese RPGs. If there is one market Sony already has cornered, it's Japanese RPGs. In short, this is good news if you were already getting a PS3, but I see very few people jumping the fence because of this deal.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Reiterated for veracity.

Keep in mind that Nintendo and SquareEnix have co-owned a joint development group for some time now as well. Has it meant fewer Final Fantasy games for PlayStation? I think not.

Wasn't Namco the company that recently complained that their games were unlikely to turn a good profit on PS3? This is probably Sony's way of funneling money to Namco so that they'll keep making games for PS3.

10. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

OMG your sig. For the love of NSFW.....

Okay, it's interesting that they even decided to do this, since it means not much will have changed. I guess better quality games for the PS3/exclusives since people are now working for/with Sony???

Ah well

11. flamepanther

I'm making a statement. If you're browsing at work, you can disable sig pics.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Because Namco threw everything at Soul Calibur 3, expecting it to sell really well, and it didn't. Apparently most beat 'em ups don't sell well anymore... mass market seems to be ignoring most of them.

As to Sony and Namco Bandai forming another company... hmm. Is it just a another development studio? I can't quite work out how this would be overly beneficial to either...

13. flamepanther

If Sony doesn't make some kind of move (like this one), the PS3 will be starved for decent exclusives. Without some kind of monetary incentive from Sony, Namco would likely (considering their recent statements) be losing money on any PS3 exclusive games they decided to make. If Sony is sharing development costs on a regular basis, Namco can make PS3 exclusive titles without losing tons of money. Sony gets a few exclusives out of it, and (they hope) sell more PS3s because of that.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

As FP said, Nintendo love up a fair few developers, this isn't by any means new ground, just a little odd that such a -big-big- name like Namco/Bandai are doing it.

15. flamepanther

How so? I don't think it's that odd at all. They obviously want to make games for the PS3, but have been concerned about losing money. This gives them the opportunity to do what they want with less financial risk. It's just one co-owned studio, like the one Nintendo and Square have together. A -big-big- name like SquareEnix teaming up with Nintendo in the same manner wasn't odd, so why would this be? If Namco decided to go 100% Sony exclusive, then it would be odd. Extremely.

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

namco isn't going anywhere and neither is sony. they're just teaming up to forum a spin-off company together. to me it looks like a way for sony to convince namco to make ps3 games by giving them 49% of the funding, the extra 51% being namco's giving them final say in everything. it won't affect anything else, it's not a takeover.

17. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

hmmm wasn't there news last year of Nintendo buying a controlling or at least significant share of bandai? At this rate I'm starting to wonder if in the next 10 years if we're going to only have Nintenmicrosony as our sole gaming company.

18. flamepanther

At least they'd be able to produce good first-party software.