NEWS FLASH...fans DO keep TF alive!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Jul 31, 2006.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Case in point: classics.

Transformers is not a kids' line, it is a fan line.

Alts are for us!

Classics are for us...and kids!

If hasbro has been reading their graphs right...they have slowly realized that bots that have a similair resemblance to G1 sell well.

What did they do...they made alts and classics!..for us!

What I see a pegwarmers are lame excuses for a transformer...the kids might buy them, but I don't, because they suck!

YES KIDS BUY TRANSFORMERS...but not as much as we do...if this was not true...we would not have classics or alts.

Kids have video games, cell phones, and ipods to have fun with...

WE had transformers...and WE still do!

2. Optimal Optimus Prime

Optimal Optimus Prime The Ultimate Prime

I agree with you!

Alts kept going on past the origionally planned 10 cause collectors, adult collector, kept buying them and aksing for more.

Classics got made for collectors and kids (hybrid line) G1 with newer waves.

3. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Didn't take your Lithium today did you spanky?

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I took my natty light...whos' spanky?.... i'll kill'em!

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Hasbro has stated that collectors make up about 20% of the total TF sales. Substantial, but definitely not nearly enough to make a profit by itself.

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

That is a corporate lie encouraging investors to buy into a 'kids line'...That quote is like saying that I have less expendable money that a kid.....ya right......

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I don't think 20% is that far off. It sounds reasonable when you look at what ages use them, and who buys them predominantly.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Alternators aren't enough to keep Transformers alive. And the Classics might have older fan appeal, but they're designed to be accesible to kids, too.

The mainline is what powers the franchise, and the main line always targets kids. You think we'd even have Alternators if kids weren't buying up RiD and Armada? Do you think Universe and it's bright, eye-grabbing colors were designed for us?

The collectors give Hasbro a nice little profit, but TFs are and always will be aimed at kids.

9. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    True, but like some other members I only get a handful of characters from the mainline and predominantly collect the secondary lines. I don't have the space for the mainline toys.

10. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Nothing is inaccessible to kids in the Classics line, as you stated, it was just an intelligent concept to appeal to kids and older collectors.
    However I do make a point that it is the least supported line since Universe, and is generally considered a 'fill in'.

Hasbro has stated their Alternator target market as "Tweens", as far as I can understand this is an ambiguous label for older kids and young adults.

While I agree collectors have had greater consideration in these lines, I'd say it is misleading to think children aren't the larger segment.

11. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I think Classics is not so much a push for the collector dollar (although that's certainly a factor) as it is a "back to basics" sort of thing. Toy-wise, a lot of what made the original TFs cool has been gone from the main line.

It's hard to describe, and I'm up too late right now so I won't be any good at it, but part of it is the more humanoid, less blocky robot modes. Also, I think smaller toys are in some ways better. Too many large TFs causes them to lose their impact. And very few of the new ones feel "slick" in the same way that the Dinobots do.

Classics looks to me like an attempt to recapture some of that. After all, while Transformers have certainly done well, they've never recaptured the amazing dominance they had back in the 80's. I think they'll get a larger share of the kids market and also rope some adults into being adult collectors. Heck, that's how they got me back in - with Alternators.

12. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Ditto.

I'm a self-admitted Alternators whore. They've pimped me good, and I'll buy almost any of them worth my time. I have gotten them all with the exception of Rollbar and Ricochet.

Initially, as an adult collector, I wasn't too impressed by the Classics line, but now seeing some of the second wave figures (Skyfire, Grimlock, Mirage) I'm really excited about the line. I'd hate to see it end because of the movie, but I think that is inevitable. The live action movie is going to change everything, especially the toys for the movie and after. Maybe Hasbro can bring their hit 80's line back to the forefront and have it sell better then those crappy Power Rangers things.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    duh, of course.

unlike SW, we didnt need no stinkin SE versions of the original movie nor a new trilogy to keep it fresh.

TF fans rule!

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Suuure. :rolleyes2 

Next you're going to tell us that Takara are designing all the toys by themselves, and Hasbro is just their North American distributor... and AaronA rcher and the other so-called "Hasbro designers" are just part of the Hasbro propaganda machine trying to convince fans that Hasbro have any part in the development of the toys they sell.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...

Hey, you know what? You're all wrong! SCALPERS make up the largest portion of Transformers toys' buyers! Hasbro really should start to listen more to THEIR needs!

15. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I agree, and thats why we shouldnt always buy whatever has/tak spits out. If we could collectivly hold out on say purchasing MPStarscream, has/tak would be forced to make improvements pn the toy to try and sell it.

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    eyeballkid here is what's known as a Fandom Crackpot - they over estimate their own importance, as well as the importance of their similarly-aged peers as a means of pushing an agenda such as 'Why X Company Should Make Stuff Exclusively For Old Farts Like Me' or 'Why X Company Are Liars Because I Say So'.

And they never have any data to back up their claims.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You're all wrong, I personally line Hasbro's coffers with my own money. I make up 68% of the buying fanbase all by myself.

18. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Regardless of the obvious bullshit in front of us it gives you no right to name call.

19. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I'll give one good example of why collector don't carry toylines, and it comes from the Star Wars toyline (oddly enough, the one where most collectors believe with all their heart and soul that if it weren't for them SW would cease to exist).

Cantina aliens.

'nuff said.

KTHXBYE

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    You're right, I went over the line, and I apologize to eyeballkid.