Newest comic movie announcement - Ex machina

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Wreckgar, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Nothing but love for this series.

2. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is some cool news. I just got the first tradepaper back and I'm loving the series.

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Never hear of this comic before, i better search for a review.

4. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

This is, I hope, brilliant news. I picked up the first issue of Ex Machina completely by accident, and have been purchasing it religiously (including the TPB for lending purposes) ever since. This is easily one of the most innovative titles to see print in quite some time, and it completely deserves any critical accolades it receives.

Come to think of it, the Wildstorm Signature line in general is fast becoming my favorite publisher imprint, approaching my long-time love of the Vertigo books. Ocean, Desolation Jones, Ex Machina, Matador, City of Tomorrow... I don't think they've produced a book yet that's disappointed. It warms my heart that DC, despite being the enormous mainstream publishing house that they are, continues to take chances on bizarre and different subject matter on not one, but TWO different off-kilter imprints. With the exception of POWERS, Marvel (for whatever reason) just can't seem to get the hang of quirky books like this.

Fears - How can you make a movie out of a series that is less than two years old? In my humble estimation, you really can't make a quality flick unless A) the series is an on-going that's really well established (i.e. Spider-man or X-Men) or B) a limited series that's already ended (i.e. Watchmen or Preacher). The first issue of the book makes it very clear that this series has some definite (as yet unforseen) dramatic thrust and timeframe to it, and I'd much rather have the whole book panned out and closed up before work starts on a flick.

Question - Does anyone have any idea how long Ex Machina is supposed to run for? Since we more-or-less know that the series encompasses Hundred's mayoral tenure through 2005, and the first issue begins AFTER his mayorship is over, it'd be nice to know how long Vaughan is planning to make the series.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I have a feeling I know what the movie might be about. They'll touch on the Great machine saving the second tower and then go forward a few years to him being mayor. However I believe the bulk of the story will be on him reluctantly returning to the guise of the Great machine at some unknown terror.

In any case, if Vaughn writes it, I have no doubts