Customs: Newbie wanting to repaint Ironhide and Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by DELTAsnake, Jun 30, 2011.

1. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I've never taken apart and painted a Transformer before. I have painted one Gundam but that's it.

I would like to first of all take the lower half of Leader Ironhide and his guns and make his paint match the CGI model. Then I would like to repaint my Jetwing Prime so he looks less like a nasty Hasbro paint job and more like the first release of Buster Prime with silver robot parts and chrome truck parts (I know getting paint that looks chrome is hard if not impossible).

Anything I need to know as a first timer about disassembly and reassembly on these guys?

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Check out the tutorials section. There is something in there about pin removal. Some people like the soldering iron technique, other just use a nail punch. Sometimes you have to use the soldering iron (like the pins to hold wheels on, or when punching the pin through isn't possible).

The thing I would recomend is practicing on toys you don't care about first. get a good feel of the technique, then move onto the real deal.

Randy!

3. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Thanks I didn't realize how many pins are in these guys till you mentioned it. They look like they won't be a huge problem to remove.

4. Bigbot3030

yeah, pins are cheaper and easier to assemble toys these days. Once you get pin removal down, it's not that bad. One thing i'd do is either keep a note of what pin goes where (and sometimes even which direction, usually pins have a "knurled" edge to keep it in place and that can sometimes matter later on), or partially reinstall the pin while it's apart. It may seem like a pain, but it's easier than trying to figure it out again later on. Same goes for screws. as soon as I remove a screw, I re-install it into it screw hole for safe keeping. You always think you won't forget later, but you always do. :lol 

Randy!

5. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Well I'm thinking as soon as I see one this week I'll pick up a deluxe Sideswipe to practice on as he has a few pins in him that require both pin punch and soldering iron removal techniques. Thanks for your help Randy.

6. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I just started removing pins yesterday for the first time.I just use a small nail and hammer.Also another tip i was told about,put an eraers under the part.It helps keep in stable and it catches the pin when it comes out. I also put the screws back in there holes after i take it apart,i'd lose them for sure and the idea of making a note as to what goes where is a good idea.I'd hate to remove abunch of pins just to forget where they go.

7. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Man, just tried the screwdriver pin removal method tonight on dotm Sideswipe, all I did was stress some plastic. :(  They didn't budge, even the ones with one big side and one small side. Going to try the pin punch method tomorrow.

And anyone have an idea on how to remove his headlights and tail lights? They seem glued in, no pin or screw.

On the plus side I did fix that problem where his hood falls off at the slightest touch.

8. Bigbot3030

Thats a great idea. I usually get a piece of wood for that, but an eraser could work pretty well.

DELTAsnake, what he's talking about is supporting the backside of the part while you are trying to push the pin through. You need something back there to give a bit (or a well placed through hole) so that the pin has somewhere to go when you are trying to punch it through.

And yeah, the pin punch method will be alot easier. :) 

Randy!