Newbie to TF comics, where to start?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by gabumon, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, and the Spotlight TPBs are musts. Infiltration and Escalation is the main storyline with the various Spotlights and Stormbringer and Megatron:Origins (not yet available in TPB) filling in gaps and occuring both prior to and concurrantly with the Infiltration/Escalation arc. Devastation part 3, and is starting very soon.

2. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    Thanks much guys! This is awesome!

Okay another question. I have a 6 year old son who love's transformers and is starting to be a proficient reader. So,... the question is are these comic lines suitable for a 6 year old? Are they "PG" or "PG13" or... "R"? When I was growing up I recall comics at my grocery store that were certainly PG13 and I need to know if I can share the books you've suggested.

Thanks again.

3. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'd say they're fine for kids really, no unsuitable content.

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Agreed with Omnius, although perhaps some of the language Furman uses might be a bit beyond a 6 year old. So get revising for when he asks "daddy, what's a nanoclik?" ;) 

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Just reread Escalation and am still dissatisfied that no one has stepped up to plate and kicked Prowl's ass. Come on someone, DO IT! Haha. The guy has it coming. I hope in Devastation this occurs. Furman has hinted at someone being offed in the next arc, and I wouldn't mind if it was Prowl. I also hope Ironhide is still alive, though, it doesn't seem like it. I'd like to see Runabout and Runamuck more too, they work great as a team, and didn't see much action in Escalation.

Su's panels for Prime vs Megatron have to be the best we have seen in recent years. I've grown accustomed to his designs, and I like how they have so many straight lines, and don't look like marshmellows.

BTW since Prime sensed Nova Prime's presence, is he alive?

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I agree with Omnius, too, for the most part.
    One exception is the Megatron Origin.
    Granted the violence is done to robots, but Megatron brutally murders many.
    Not only that, but he comes to enjoy it.

7. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

For a great look at the most feared Decepticon leader, I seriously recommend the Megatron: Origins series. It features Megs as more than just a two dimensional villain and gives him some crediblity as to why he felt the need for the Decepticon cause. It's a great read and I'm looking forward to issue 4's finale.

Other books that I would strongly recommend are Dreamwave's More Than Meets the Eye profile books for both G1 and Armada. You get great art plus a lot of info on many characters from the most popular all the way to obscure Action Masters and Pretenders. I must say that one thing I AM grateful for is that IDW is planning to continue this idea for Beast Wars. Here's hoping that they do profile books for other continuites such as Universe, Energon, and Generation 2!

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I completely agree. My comments were from the standpoint of a six year old and his exposure to violence. Personally, I think the Megatron:Origin is the highlight of the IDWverse.

9. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    Hey guess what? I found TF trade paperbacks at my local library! So I guess that's another thing to suggest to newbies! "Check your local library!"

The drawback to the library is that they are limited it what they've got. They didn't have the first ones you've all suggested but they do have Vol 1 and 2 of "War within" and a movie prequel one.

Now that I've read Vol 1, I think I will start shopping for the other one's that have been suggested here. The art is awesome and the story pretty good. Sometimes I had to re-read a 2 page spread because I read the panels in the wrong order. (Newbie! eh?) Anyone else have this problem :)  ? I love the Grimmy sub story, it really puts a new view on G1!