Newbie to TF comics, where to start?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by gabumon, Sep 14, 2007.

1. gabumon

gabumon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey all, I'm new to comic books, never really been a fan, ...until I've started seeing some of the Transformers comics around.

Where should I start? I'd like to get into them (TF comics) a little bit, but don't really know how it works. I never see TF comics at my grocery stores, do you subscribe annually to them and have then delivered in the mail? Can I buy individual issues online?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would go to Barnes and Noble, Borders, whatever and buy IDW's Infiltration Trade Paperback.

It's not a good place to start, it's the best place to start.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you have a local comic book store, that's the best place to go for the single issues. However, if you're just starting out, definitely begin with the "Infiltration" trade paperback. It's the first installment of the story in the current TF comic continuity and the continuity itself is completely new material, so it doesn't require any previous knowledge of TF comics.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Don't

Sure, its starts with a few transformer comics, then, before you know it, you're in a comic book shop on a Friday night arguing whether or not a warrior could throw a ninja over a 20 ft ravine in D&D. Then proceeding to the parking lot and actually trying to throw someone while testing physics equations to see what force would be needed to throw someone that far. <------- True Story

But in seriousness, I love comics. Welcome to the world of sequential story telling.

5. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Beyond the Infiltration trade paperback, you should also see if you can find The War Within trade. If you liked Infiltration, there's a collection of IDW's Spotlight issues, which feature Shockwave, Hot Rod and a few others.

But if you want single issues, you'll have to go to a comic shop because they're only sold through the direct market.

6. Scantron

News Credits:
    Just keep in mind that War Within is a different continuity and has no connection to Infiltration and the current TF comic continuity. The first War Within miniseries is a decent read, though.

7. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

Get the trade for Infiltration, Escalation and if you can..............check out the crossover New Avnegers/Transformers, it will be in the same universe and timeline of the current G1 comic series.

8. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

Oh and check out the spotlights as well.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Heh, that was my first reaction. Don't start because it's crack. I think they line the pages with it. You open a cover and that dust that hits your eye? Crack.

Anyway, if you like the new series, Infiltration is the way to go. Go for the trades as well. The regular issues are $4 a pop. Little pricy in my opinion.

10. gabumon

News Credits:
    Can you subscribe? like a magazine? I would have though so...

11. Scantron

News Credits:
    IDW does have a subscription option for two of the new TF series coming out soon (Devastation and BW Ascending):

http://store.idwpublishing.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=69cd5caf74c7875b5a6c180f2feb443e

It doesn't seem like you'd be saving much, if any, money off the cover price, though. There are also a number of general online comic stores that will allow you to have "subscriptions" to titles you want as an online pull list, which they'll ship to you.

However, I'd echo Wreckgar's suggestion of just sticking to the trades as much as possible. As long you either don't mind (or avoid) spoilers, it's a lot cheaper to get the trade at a book store or Amazon.com than paying the cover price for the individual issues.

12. Wreckgar

Yea, if you are on a budget or new to comics, I say trades. I've been in the business for so long though that I'm a whore for single issues but if I were just starting out, I'd do the trade route.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I recommend trades simply because not only do you save money, but you have the entire arc to read in one sitting, or you can take your time. No time waiting for something to happen or catching up because your shop sold out of the issues before you got there. For the mini series I usually get the single issues, but for 6 issue arcs and up like Su's current tf books, I get trades.

BTW does anyone know if Escalation will be published in the smaller manga format? I love the price and size for those ones!

14. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

Just picked up Infiltration today can't wait to read it, I want to finish Marvel 1602 first though.

15. Wreckgar

Well at least you saved the better of the 2 for later.

16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm actually in the middle of reading Infiltration now and its great. Funny thing, I read Escalation prior to this. Talk about spoiling one's self. Then again, I do that a lot. I will read Escalation again after Infiltration.

I love how Furman made this an all new continuity. The kids don't get in the way, Verity especially seems to not want to be there at all. Prowl is a dick and I like Ratchet a lot more than I did when I was younger(I only saw him in the g1 cartoon when I was younger). I'm fond of Skywarp's appearances in the book using his teleporting hit and run ambushes. Runabout and Runamuck were very good Decepticons to introduce into this storyline too.

I've also grown fond of how Su draws the Autobots. Different than the DW house style and not exceedingly over detailed.

I keep hoping Ratchet eventually tells Prowl off and kicks him in the face. He deserves it. He reminds me of Cyclops from the X-men.

17. gabumon

News Credits:
    Okay, one last newbie question... What is a "trade"? How I can tell the difference? Trade vs non-Trade. Are they typically only available at comic book stores?

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    A "trade" or "TPB" is Trade Paper Back.

Basically it's all four or six issues collected together.
    They usually include cover galleries, design sketches, or other extras and are less than the price of collecting the individual issues.

Not only that, but major chains like Borders and Barnes & Noble carry them, but they don't carry the single issues.

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I fluctuate back and forth between trades and singles. There are times in my life (like now) when I go to the CBS (comic book store) every week and pick up several new books I am aiming to keep up on. But the number I am bringing home is more than I have time to read so they start to stack up and I am consistently behind. One of the advantages to going every week and picking up your books is to stay current with storylines, and also being able to discuss them.

Once that all gets overwhelming I stop going, and trim the fat. I will start reading through the stuff I have stacked up and then when I feel better I get back into it. I have so many large gaping holes in my collection because of this that it isn't funny.

Transformers comics are an even rougher breed for single issues because it is primarily just an ongoing barrage of miniseries books. It's good because it is easier to just buy the trades when they are released, and I have had troubles securing some single issues (I don't do pull and holds). I tried to get all of the Titan trades for Marvel G1 and the UK stuff and it just didn't work...I missed several of those and some are now unavailable.

I would definitely say to stick with the IDW stuff, some of the older stuff is pretty good but it isn't relevant to today's stories, nor what is commonly talked about in current TF-comic discussion. Definitely do Infiltration and Escalation in your first round, then pick up the Spotlight trade. I loved the Hearts of Steel book, but it's not really important to anything going on so it isn't essential. Also if you can find the Beast Wars The Gathering trade I would get that as the continuation of that starts soon.

By the time you are done with all of that there may be trades for all the current stuff coming out that you can read :) 

20. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would read them in this order to catch up:

Infiltration
    Stormbringer
    Spotlight TPB
    Escalation
    Spotlight Soundwave, Kup, Galvatron, OP
    Devastation

Best to pick them up in this order to make the most of the intertwined plots we're beginning to see.

Megatron Origin is recommended, but you can get away understanding the IDW-verse without it.