Newbie questions about G1, Takara, MP???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by joss789, Oct 31, 2009.

1. joss789

joss789 Member

Hi everybody, i'm new here and i hope to have great time on this board. I have some questions for you, TF collectors.
    I have almost finished my Gijoe collection and i'm looking to restart collecting Transformers toys. I want to start with G1 toys and i'm looking for the ones i had when i was kid. Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Optimus Prime and Shockwave was my favourite. I'm looking on Ebay and i see tons of Takara TF. Are they a copy of Hasbro products? Is the Takara G1 TF are from the same mold, same color and quality than Hasbro? I would have some opinion from you guys, it is better to buy used Hasbro toys or buying new Takara toys?
    I saw some TF Masterpiece and they looks awesome, it is a special edition?
    I also saw some reissue or commemorative TF. If someone can tell a little more about these toys, that would be great!
    I know it's a lot of questions for my first thread but i think this board is the best place to get answers.
    Thanks for your help!

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Short answer: Takara is Hasbro's business partner. They work together designing the toys, and Takara has the license to sell TFs in Japan. Which one is "better" is case-by-case and open to different opinions, depending on which release. Most of what you're looking for has been reissued multiple times. Shockwave was knocked off earlier this year.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Takara and Hasbro work together to make Transformers. Usually there may be a few differences between Takara and Hasbro, like paint apps, but not many. The quality is usually the same for both companies.

Commerative issues are the G1 Transformers re-released. If you get Takara ones they are usually spot on from their G1 releases. Hasbro Commerative releases usually have some U.S. safety changes. Usually, the spring is removed from the missle launcher and the missles may be longer. For Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus, the smokestacks are shorter. Takara reissues are usually in the "Encore" line.

The Masterpiece line is aimed at bringing the most accurate G1 incarnation of that character.

4. Thelbert

Thelbert Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As for the reissues, they are pretty much the same as the old school toys. Toys R Us had quite a lot of them a few years back. Right now you can get the Insecticons and Perceptor. Personally, I love the reissues, and they are something that I wouldn't mind going after over the real, vintage G1 figures.

Granted, there are a LOT of G1 characters without reissues, so those would have to be the originals.
    Welcome to the boards!!

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    first of all, welcome to the boards,

masterpiece are awesome but pricey, enough said

takara has been explained before my post, but i would add that if there is a takara reissue available for close to the same price as hasbro's go takara, there has been nothing changed, commemorative seeker jets guns look like absolute crap on hasbro's chrome has been removed from the missiles for prowl/silverstreak/smokescreen a lot of little differences that may make you want to get the takara versions

read the sticky at the top about kos so you don't get screwed by buying kos of shockwave, the dinobots etc

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They KILLED Shockwave? :dunce 
    j/k

It can be a bit confusing at first- Encore, Takara, the Toys R Us exclusives- but the good thing is that you have a lot of freedom to choose.
    if money isn't such a big deal to you, I would suggest collecting the Takara reissues. The packaging alone is display worthy and the figures are great.

It took me a little effort to keep up with the reissues, but it will pay off in spades when you do.
    welcome to the boards and have fun!

7. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Ditto, and welcome to the boards!!

8. joss789

joss789 Member

Thanks a lot for the information. I realy appreciate your help.