Newbie question- Soundwave Encore vs TRU vs SDCC

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by victimlas, Dec 13, 2011.

1. victimlas

victimlas New Member

Hi everyone!

I have a newbie question. I am trying to find Soundwave for my DH for Christmas and he is a big fan of the original Transformers.

Which version would be the closest to a G1 Soundwave or the Soundwave my husband would remember and loves. I am a little confused by the three versions, I understand the TRU version fits 2 tapes but the other ones don't.
    I like how the SDCC version looks and that it brings 4 tapes, but right now it's a bit above my budget on Ebay. I am looking to stay in the $100 range.

Would the Encore one be a good compromise? I honestly don't know much about this so anyone that watched the originals, please help :) 

Ty so much!

Victoria

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The original had a single tape capacity, like the Encore and SDCC ones do, so either of those will be good. Encore only comes with Laserbeak, and the SDCC one has laserbeak, buzzsaw, ratbat, and ravage.

3. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

TRU: Fits two tapes, includes Ravage and Laserbeak.

Encore: Fits one tape (like the G1), comes only with Laserbeak.

SDCC: Fits one tape (again, like the G1) comes with Laserbeak and Buzzsaw, Ratbat and Ravage.

I'd get the Encore if price is an issue. Laserbeak is probably the most notable of his tapes (other than Frenzy). I mean, if you want to go the extra mile you can get SDCC, but if he's a pretty casual fan he probably won't miss the extra tapes.

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would either get the Takara book style reissue version, Encore or SDCC. From what I can tell all of them are identical except for the number of cassettes they have and the packaging they are in. I wouldn't even bother with the Toysrus version.

Looks like the Encore is your best bet and is around your budget. Soundwave is a great figure and is one of the best Transformers all the time. Good luck and hope you can find your man one at a good price.

5. victimlas

victimlas New Member

Ty so much all of you for all the info! Def sounds like the Encore version is a good choice. Soundwave is his childhood fave, but we have focused on Optimus for his collection, so this will be his first Soundwave. Hopefully he won't miss the extra tapes.

TY so much again!

Victoria

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I would recommend the SDCC version. It's the one I have and it comes with all the casettes.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    The TRU release is Soundblaster in Soundwave colors. This holds two cassettes.

The Re-issue and SDCC release have the single cassette compartment like the G1 cartoon.

Having all three, I like the SDCC release due to packaging and the cassette bots that's included.