Newbie Here!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JamboJapp, Jun 19, 2011.

1. JamboJapp

JamboJapp Member

First post on here and I've got a bit of a daft question needing answered.....growing up I loved the G1 series and a few yrs ago at christmas I got the boxset as a present :D  I've watched it a few times and still love it aswell as the new films but I've never seen any other series and wonder where to start and which ones to avoid??

2. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Great question. Depends on where you want to go from G1. In Japan, the series continued as 3 more series:

Headmasters
    Masterforce
    Victory

These three series' are going to be released as a box set in July on Shout! Factory's website, and the Headmasters set will be available separately in stores.

If you want to check out probably the most highly regarded series, story wise, that would be Beast Wars. Beast Wars season 1 just got re-released last week and can be found for 19.99 at Target and other places. Don't let the CG and lack of vehicles put you off, it's fantastic.

Beyond that, there are lots of different series' from 2000 onward you can check out. Personal favorites of mine are Robots in Disguise (2001), which is not on DVD in Region 1 but can be gotten from the UK or watched on Youtube, and "Animated" from 2007, which is full of G1 love and nods to old characters.

Transformers: Prime is running right now on The Hub, and is worth checking out.

The Unicron trilogy of Armada, Energon and Cybertron from 2002-05 is probably only recommended for completists. The same goes for Beast Machines.

Hope this list helped!

3. JamboJapp

JamboJapp Member

Cheers! Beast wars looks strange but reading about it on here sounds well liked. Fancy having a look at the completion of G1 first. Is there any sort of storyline through all the different series or does each just start from where it wants?

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Headmasters picks up after the U.S. season 3, but discounts the brief U.S. season 4. After that, Masterforce and Victory are still the same canon, but it gets farther away from the original feel and less of the characters are recurring. (Although Victory is my favorite of the three.) There was a one episode pilot "Zone" in 1990 that was officially the end of G1. However, Beast Wars is G1 canon, taking place millions of years before, while the original G1 Autobots are in the crashed ark.

Lots of the other series are their own relaunches, like the Unicron Trilogy, Animated and Prime. R.i.D technically is, but it's been placed into G1 canon, not that it really makes sense that way.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast wars is the next step from G1,, minus japanese, but you'll have to force yourself to watch the first few episodes then it gets good. Though many hate Beast Machines I believe that's the next stop after Beast Wars.

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First off, welcome. There's really no way to answer that question, as everyone on here will disagree on what is good and what sucks. For example, I loved Robots in Disguise, but many did not care for it. My advice is to check out a few episodes of each series if you have the time and see what appeals to you personally.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Avoid Energon at all cost.

8. JamboJapp

JamboJapp Member

Guessing youtube will be the best place to check a few out then?

9. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Sperlink superior, Energon inferior. :D 

Watch everything! But avoid Energon at all costs. It must be stopped, no matter the cost. ;) 

10. JamboJapp

JamboJapp Member

Started off with a bit of beast wars...the graphics seem dreadful!

Anyone fancy giving me a quick summary of the beast wars without giving it all away?

11. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Superlink still suffers from many of Energon's problems, most notably "running out of plot", "clunky CG animation that only allows for the most primitive movements and a total range of one emotion, i.e. 'mouth open'", "haphazard inclusion of toy gimmicks with cars driving in space", "bad editing with episodes flowing into each other with no clear distinctive plot for individual episodes", "repeated character de-evolution/resets" and "not a lot happening".

The only real advantage Superlink has over the Energon dub is that the dialogue is not entirely nonsensical, the the plots make minimally more sense.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Yeah, but I'd like to amend my original advice and say avoid Energon as others have said

13. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

A Quick Summary of Beast Wars:

X years after G1, more factions from Cybertron crash land on Earth having accidentally also travelled back in time, X years after the Ark has crashlanded but X years before everybody wakes up.

To protect and disguise themselves these new good guys - Maximals - and bad guys - Predacons - take up alternative forms of prehistoric beasts. Then they have some fightin'. Just 'cause.

Prime's a monkey, the rhino guards the base, Waspinator is an endearing comic relief, nobody has a clever name and Megatron is just another evil robot called Megatron, and may only be a distant relative of the original Megatron.

Watch out for a cameo from one of Soundwave's cassettes.

Anyhow, just watch Transformers: Animated. Though it looks childish it probably has the longest- and subtlest-running story arcs. It is also jammmpacked with winks to TF geeks.

If you like that, you'll find Prime a happy half-way between TFA and the movies.

I've never seen RiD or AEC (but Unicron's in it, which is kinda cool).

Most importantly, welcome to the boards. (And are you a Hearts fan? Nice one, first team I ever completed in a Panini album.)

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Beast Wars was in the mid to late 90's, and compared to the crap animation used for Energon and Cybertron, the BW CGI just performs better (plus I think it looks better anyway).

Anyways, Beast Wars is pretty much about Megatron (not the one from G1, this is a new Megatron who took the name after the original) and a small band of Predacons along with Optimus Primal (also named after the original Optimus Prime) and his rag-tag group of Maximals trying to stop the Predacons.

The purpose of the animal alt. modes is so that the robots can safely traverse the planet outside of their crashed ships without being exposed to too much Energon radiation. Or at least I think that's the purpose.

Waspinator will die. A lot. But he constantly gets rebuilt because his only purpose is to seemingly die in new and hilarious ways.

This series will explain why Dinobot was awesome enough to get into the Hall of Fame, the only non G1 character to do so of the first five. Waspinator joined him this year, also the only non-G1 character of this year's inductees.

Megatron is famous for the way he says "yes". He's also regarded as one of the greatest Megatrons of all time and his Voice actor would go on to voice more Megatrons and even Animated Optimus Prime.

I'm not sure there's much else I could say without giving something important about the plot away. You just need to watch it.

15. JamboJapp

JamboJapp Member

Yeah I am a hearts fan :D 

Thats episode 1 of beast wars done with.....not sure about it but its been said the first few are a little junk but gets good so will see a couple more through.

Cant beat a Sunday watching cartoons with a few beers.

16. JamboJapp

JamboJapp Member

Can anyone remember the name of the episode when Optimus dies and is on some graveyard vessel....think he comes back to life and is a bad guy for a bit???

17. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Nope, nobody here knows the titles of well-known episodes, especially not "Dark Awakening". ;) 

18. JamboJapp

JamboJapp Member

AWESOME! My fav episode :D 

19. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Japanese Beast Wars shows, but those are relatively obscure and ignored by many. And like many people said, Energon is rather weak.

But definitely keep going with Beast Wars. It's worth it. And it does have even better CG than Energon and Cybertron which came many years later.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The first few eps set up the characters and the overall plot of the season. Plus, just being the first episodes, the charatcers haven't hit their groove yet. Later episodes get really good, and Season one ends explosively awesome.

Also the cartoon is fifteen years old, the CGI is damn impressive for it's time.

And yes, avoid Transformers: Energon. Beleive it or not despite being made a good several years after Beast Wars, it's CGI (and that of teh next series, Cybertron) is even more primative and awful.