Newbie here a few questions for the more experienced...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GeraldKeefer, May 27, 2010.

1. GeraldKeefer

GeraldKeefer Gabba Gabba Hey!

Well, I've decided in my adulthood to start collecting the G1 Transformers of my youth all over again. Particularly the 1984 85 'Bots pre movie.

Now having the original 1984-85 originals isn't that important. I don't mind the looks of the Encore series or some commemorative editions (the reviews on youtube are very helpful). I'm opening everyone I buy and setting them up in the display case.

Now I've noticed on ebay there are custom heads for Ratchet and Ironhide but they're like $30! Is there anywhere else to buy them for cheaper?

Also are there any particular remakes I should avoid that are drastically different from the originals?

To find the best prices should I just shop on ebay?

I'm sorry to bombard you with all these questions I'm just looking for some tips to start my collection. The first 2 purchases are 25th Anniversary Prime (have to find replacement smokestacks for him...is there a site that sells things like that cheap?) and the Encore series Jazz.

I don't have tons of money to spend with a family, mortage, car, etc. so any help would be much appreciated.

Transform and roll out...:) 

2. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  3. GeraldKeefer

Thank you for the link!

4. GeraldKeefer

Also one more important question...

Besides the encore and commemorative editions are there any other lines that are almost identical to the original G1 toys?

5. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

The Classics 1.0 & 2.0 are awsome contemporary renditions of the G1 toys and characters we all love. That is a great line to collect in conjunction with G1. As to the best place to buy G1 stuff? Your best bet is ebay and the sales threads here on TFW. And go for reissues whenever possible. That is the least expensive way to start your re-collecting of G1 figures.

6. GeraldKeefer

So the classics 1.0 (I'm assuming 2.0 are like generation 2) are pretty much exactly the same as the great G1s? As close as the Encore and commemorative editions?

I can't wait to grab a Megatron and Soundwave! Those ones look super expensive all over. I got the 25th anniversary prime for $40 with shipping.

Thanks for responding much appreciated.

7. GeraldKeefer

double post sorry

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    there are high quality KOs of the G1 bots available on KOTOYS:
    G1 KO at KOTOYS.COM

as i said the are KO's but are spot on for G1 originals. KOTOYS is based in china so shipping will take a while.

I have not ordered from there but the owner has a good rep here.

nope they are update versions of G1 characters and its Universe 2.0 not classics 2.0 . so if your looking for genuine G1 reissues that aren't what your looking for.

9. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place to be to learn about everything Transformers.

As for the G1 Transformers you're looking for... The cheapest route to buy them all in new condition would definitely be purchasing reissues and/or high quality knock-offs, but you may find great deals for vintage originals.

Here's a list of recommendations if you choose to go the Reissue and/or KO route...

Autobots

1. Optimus Prime - Encore Reissue
    2. Prowl - TFC Bookstyle Reissue
    3. Bluestreak - eHobby Reissue
    4. Ratchet - Encore Reissue
    5. Ironhide - Encore Reissue
    6. Hound - TFC Bookstyle Reissue
    7. Trailbreaker - Encore Reissue
    8. Sideswipe - TFC Bookstyle Reissue
    9. Sunstreaker - High Quality KO
    10. Mirage - High Quality KO
    11. Wheeljack - High Quality KO
    12. Jazz - Encore
    13. Bumbleebee, Huffer & Gears - TFC Bookstyle Reissue
    14. Cliffjumper, Brawn & Windcharger - Reissue Key Holders
    15. All 5 Dinobots - High Quality KO's
    16. Jetfire - By the Original

Decepticons

1. Megatron - Encore Reissue
    2. Soundwave & Buzzsaw - Encore Reissue
    3. Starscream - Encore Reissue
    4. Thundercraker & Skywarp (2 pack) - Encore Reissue
    5. Shockwave - High Quality KO
    6. Rumble & Frenzy - Encore Reissue
    7. Ravage & Laserbeak - Encore Reissue
    8. Reflector - High Quality KO
    9. Devastator - High Quality KO
    10. Insecticons - TFC Bookstyle Reissue or TRU Reissue

Also, be sure to check the Junkion Exchange on this forum.

Awesome deals to be made with some cool people.

Most of the things you're looking for will be there every now and then.

Enjoy!

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  10. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Everyone else has pretty much said all that needs to be said. Your newest reissues are your best bet for the older G1 figures. Pretty much all the toy shops that have advertisements at the top of the site are your best bet along with Ebay. As for the Classics 1.0, 2.0 and upcoming Generations (Classics 3.0 pretty much), you should totally look into these my man. I was G1 all the way for the most part until these figures came out. Some of these figures are so awesome that I really don't care to own their G1 counterparts anymore except for maybe to have them as collectors pieces (G1 Cyclonus for instance). Do some research and look into it, you won't be disappointed....wow that's a long rant. :thumbs2: 

11. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    curamen_circa_1975 has made a good list to follow so I'll just add a few footnotes to it. First off his list is designed to get you the best rendition of a figure, which can be pricey. If you don't care that a weapon is a little different then it originally was, you may not want to follow his list then. If boxes aren't important to you I'd stay away from KO (knock offs), unless its a really pricey figure. So for example you can find complete loose good condition vintage dinobots for about the same price as the KO's with the exception of Swoop. So I would say get vintage Slag, Sludge, Snarl, and Grimlock. Then purchase a KO Swoop.

Heres a basic primer on the current G1's

Vintage: real deal toys from the 80's (just in case you didn't know)

G1 Reissues:
    Takara Reissues: First run of Japanese reissues. They come in Japanese style boxes and are almost as expensive as the originals now.

TFC (Transformers Collection): Japanese book style boxed G1 figures that came with a cool binder (with prime I think) and inserts for the binder with every figure. Mostly expensive but every now and then you can get a good deal on them.

Commemorative Series: US Toys R Us Exclusive (except sideswipe). Figures are the same as G1, but some of the weapons have been remolded to meet current toy safety standards. Can be had cheaply with G1 inspired packaging

Ehobby: Mostly Japanese releases of figures that may not have seen a toy but are recolors of G1 characters. For example Sunstorm, or Ghost Starscream. They're also normal G1 figures in the line like Galvatron. Can be pretty pricey.

Encore: Current Japanese reissue series. Come in Japanese G1 style boxes most figures and weapons are identical to the original releases.

KO (Knock Offs): These are unofficial toys made by bootleggers in China. They come in original style US G1 boxes. That being said some of them are amazing quality! I've had a few of the high quality ones and they are solid replacements for something you may have trouble finding. They can be a bit too pricey in my opinion though. For the price of a brand new KO you can usually find a loose complete C8 or better figure. So its a matter of preference I guess.

On a side note there are also pre-transformers from the DIACLONE, DIAKRON, MICROCHANGE, and MICROMAN lines. I only mention these just in case you come across one at some time. They are real Takara toys from before they came to Hasbro for a story/cartoon for the line. EXPENSIVE!

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As touched on in the post above, there's also the Takara Collection reissue line, which came before the Takara Encore line. I really like the TC reissues since I like the bookstyle format, but they can be rather expensive to track down now (well, except for the Kup/Wheelie and Ricochet reissues, but you're looking for '84/'85 stuff anyways so they're irrelevant). If you can track a TC or Encore Megs, you might be stuck getting one with the orange cap in it thanks to customs issues, but you can always take it out (I was lucky to get a TC reissue without the cap).

There were also earlier Takara exclusive reissues (which can be expensive)and eHobby reissues as well. The more screen-accurate versions of Bluestreak/Silverstreak and Astrotrain came via eHobby, but can be a bit expensive as well when you find them.

Also, if you haven't noticed it yourself already by researching stuff, the Hasbro reissues either come with neutered missile launchers (the spring's been taken out completely) or still-functioning launchers with missiles that have now been lengthened to match up with current toy safety laws (most noticeable on the Hasbro Commemorative reissue of Ultra Magnus).

13. GeraldKeefer

Wow! There are some awesome figures there for some good prices! I like the Devastator for only $70! Or the sweet Dinobots set for $170! Thanks for the awesome link

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Just realize they're not 'real' vinatage Transformers but Knockoffs...not official Hasbro/ Takara products.

I'm not all raged out about them like some people are, just pointing out that if you want a 'pure' G1 collection you really won't have one with the Knockoffs. Not that many people could tell the difference from wide shot pictures or anything.

15. GeraldKeefer

Dude thank you so much! That is such a help for me instead of watching 10 minute videos for each toy on youtube. I don't mind buying the originals as long as they are in pose-able shape with out yellowing or arms or legs missing. I see there are sticker packs to buy fairly cheap for each toy so not concerned with that.

I'm not really going to be playing with them just setting them up in like a battle scene on a shelf. My goal is to get the entire 84-85 line (re-issues or otherwise) and then move on to the few later figures I'm interested in (galvatron + his cronies, Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus, Kup, Springer, etc).

Quick question...does the bumblebee TFC Bookstyle Reissue have the cartoon face or the weirder 84 one? I'm looking for one with the cartoon face.

Also do you think I should post a sig on my posts that say I'm interested in any good deals for G1 toys knockoffs or originals or should I just start a thread in the Junkion Excahnge forum?

16. GeraldKeefer

They are awesome! I was checking some out and they look sweet!

17. GeraldKeefer

Thanks for the rundown on all those Juise! Obviously in a perfect world I'd like a ok condition original but the encore series seems like the safest bet for me. I'm not too interested in the boxes. I am going to run to a few Toys R Us' today to see if I can find any commemorative series. I think Perceptor and the Insecticons are still listed on the Toys R us site so they may be in stores. If I buy any I'll probably try and find an original weapon on ebay instead of the neutered ones.

Lbsammills51..man screw those safety laws! Just make 'em exactly the same! And 84-85 is the main goal for me but there are quite a few 86 and later toys I want big time as well if I see a good price I'll swoop them up.

18. GeraldKeefer

Yeah, I don't mind that they're not the vintage ones if they can save me some cash. If the prices are the same I'd definitely go for the Hasbro/Takara line. i don't think Devastator is going to be cheaper than the KO line anywhere so that's where I'll go with that unless there's some drastic differences. Devastator was one of the ones I always wanted when a kid but could never afford so that's gonna be a happy day when i nab that one!

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    OMG I didn't need to see those KO dinobots. Five brand new dinobots for around $170 shipped is tempting me to no end.

20. GeraldKeefer

Hahahaha same here! If my wife wouldn't kill me I'd order that RIGHT NOW(well that or the Devastator). Also the KO Devastator...it shows on the site having metal parts but the video reviews I watched said it didn't have those and it was quite smaller than the G1 version? Is the KO Devastator the same size with the same parts?

What is the deal with the walmart exclusive masterpiece toys?