2D Artwork: Newbie at GIMP but wanted to share

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SC0RP0N0K, Oct 15, 2009.

1. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much brand new to GIMP, or any image manipulator actually, but I wanted to try some things and show them off to see what the old hands think. The original image is not my own by any stretch of the imagination, but how I changed it is all my own work. Hope you like, and if you have any pointers feel free to share.

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    For this to be "all your own work", you should at least detail all of your changes. :wink: 

(BTW, despite changes, I'd consider rewording "all your own work" to something a bit more applicable :wink: )

3. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    well at a guess i'd say that what was 'all his own work' was changing the background black and blurring some of the characters

4. SC0RP0N0K

Sorry, like I said, I'm new to this. lol

The parts I consider my own work is adding the sword to Grimlock, changing the background, adding a glow to Grimlock's sword and optics, and then playing with the focus to try to make the image more lifelike. It may be hard to see but there are 3 different levels of focus, Grimlock in front, Slag, Sludge, and Snarl in the middle, and Swoop in the back.

I'm sure none of this is very impressive to a lot of people on here since many are either pro's or have tons more experience than I do, but I'm proud of what I've learned so far, and was just hoping to get some pointers and stuff.

5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    cool ok, well to help with teh depth of field try also making each level back get a little darker too, that will help grimlock stand out from the others.

for the glow, things generally don't glow in a solid colour, have a look at these examples and then have a go at making something that looks like that yourself, then come back again if you have any problems:

[​IMG]

obviously that's fictional though, so also have a look at these:

~TeezElle's~ Painted Light Bulbs Designer Hand Crafted Stained Glass Effect Decorative Bulbs

here are a couple of comic style ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's a glowing sword:

[​IMG]

and the same again in 'real life'

[​IMG]

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's cool, man :thumb  this post here is simply what I was trying to get you to initially :) 

I'm proud of you too! I'm glad you're sharing what you've done and learned here :)  I hope that you continue to grow as an artist and that you can benefit from all Radicons has to offer you :thumb 

7. SC0RP0N0K

I'm not sure I understand how to make the different depths darker, do you mean I should just muck around with the brightness level? I see what you mean with the glow. I'll try to see if I can fix it a little better. Thanks for the tips. =)

Thanks man, I have been looking all over the forums for advice and most of my bookmarks dealing with GIMP come from here. =)