Newb Question: Alternators / Binaltech

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Slain, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Slain

Slain Decepticon

Hai,

Newbie question here; What's, if any, is the difference between Binaltech and Alternators? Besides the obvious Binaltech being from Japan and Alternators being US/Europe...

I ask this because I bough an Alternators Swindle, but there's a japanese manual with it. Is that normal? Am I a ******?

2. TransSpawn

TransSpawn Well-Known Member

Binaltech made with diecast metal on main body part, alternator made with plastic.

3. Slain

Slain Decepticon

Ah, so I got a Binaltech :) 

Thank you!

4. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah bt's used to be around $30 more then alternators were selling at in the states, usually 50-60 a pop. now because of rarity, gouging, etc, some alts value have jumped way above their bt counterpart's, lol.

but yeah only difference was the diecast on some of the bt's parts. take a look at some of the alternity figs if you're interested in similar stuff that's a bit newer. they're a smaller scale then alts, but they're still pretty nice figures.

5. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Also if you cant get enough Alts/Bts check out the ko's. Quality is almost on par with the official ones and some have really good paintjobs. One of my favs is Chinese Police Prowl.

6. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Chinese police Jazz FTW!

Yeah, you cannot go wrong with KO BTs.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Not true, there were lots of other differences.

All Binaltechs that were street models by Japanese manufacturers had the steering wheel on the right side of the dashboard. (So did early versions of Alternators Silverstreak; running changed fixed it to the left side with subsequent shipments.) This affects Streak, Meister, Laserwave, Overdrive, Prowl, Skids and various others. Basically, only American models and Smokescreen were exempt.

Smokescreen is particularly blatant in the difference department, with flat blue plastic on the Alternators version and a fully painted vehicle shell for the Binaltech version.

Binaltech Wheeljack has a painted face and an elongated neck. Overdrive has a different visor than Windcharger and the long gun barrel/drive shaft that Alternators Windcharger is missing. Prowl is so different it'd take an entire paragraph to list all the differences. Sunstreaker has a completely different deco (Although he's Binaltech Asterisk, not an ordinary BT). Then there's the Binaltech-only variants such as Smokescreen #7, red Meister, yellow Tracks and blue Civilian Prowl. Alternators-only redecos and retools like Swerve, Decepticharge, Ricochet, Rollbar or Camshaft. The Alternators-only m olds Ravage (Jaguar) and Rumble. Binaltech-only retools and redecos like Smokescreen GT (variants #1 and #2), "Bluestreak", Argent Meister or Arcee. Binaltech Mirage was only available as a clear e-Hobby exclusive version. Binaltech Asterisk had Alert and Broadblast. The list goes on and on.

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder how much my Binaltech collection is worth now? Doubt the price has gone up much since I bought them.

9. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Thank goodness Nevermore stepped in, I was about to rant and rave for hours at the lack of information in this thread. :) 

The two lines are completely different, at first they started to be pretty close (yet still quite different) but as time went on they became even more different.

Randy

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. Slain

Slain Decepticon

Thanks everybody for the extra info :D 

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I am so glad I managed to pick up the repro gun barrel for my Alt Windcharger. It really does make a difference to him.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the detailed info, I never bought any of the BT's so I wasn't aware there were more then just surface materials changed.

15. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Man, this thread is making me miss my Alt/BTs. They've been packed for the past couple of years due to space limitations. I've only got Alt HotRod and Bt Smokescreen here atm.

Another noteworthy difference is the car deco on Skids, the Alt Has flames down the hood and doors as well as as speckly 'tint' on the windows. Where as Bt Skids has a clean blue paint job with clear windows but comes with stickers to give him his G1 stripes. The bot modes are closer but there are still some differences.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this, my decepticharge and windcharger came with the extensions, don't think i would like them as much if they didn't, wonder if there is enough interest for darkov to start reproing them

17. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is true. :D  I completed the Alt/BT line quite some time ago but have been adding to the troops through the various KO decos that periodically come out. I think my fave KO is the Police Shockwave...it's just kinda off the wall.

I have a few of the KOs for sale in my sales thread if you're interested, just check my sig. :D 

Welcome to the Alt/BT Addicts Club LOL

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Not mine. :)  Best $4 spent EVAR.

He does make them :) 

I totally agree with this. Cosign on "welcome" :) 

19. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    I had a complete Binaltech collection and sold it all when my wife got pregnant. Naturally I regretted it, so I am rebuilding an Alternators/Binaltech collection.

I think I've done pretty good in two months, I'm already up to 21 Alts/BTs.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I had all the US Alternators, as well as a couple of BT's. I think I had *Alert, Yellow Tracks, and Broadblast. I think the only character I never had an Alt of was Rodimus. Didn't really like him as a Mirage repaint. Ended up selling them all.

Is there a list out there somewhere of all the releases? I'd like to go back and pick up a few of them, if I could pick out the ones I liked the most.